• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ALLEN EDMONDS APPRECIATION THREAD 2021: News, pictures, clothing, accessories, etc.

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score
I had them out of the box for a few minutes and then packed up sent them on their way.
The website still shows Premium Repello weatherproof suede for the snuff, loden and light brown. If these aren't all the same leather why are they listed as one style and one description? Misleading.
I had already made space in the shoe closet and new strings order. Guess I will save that space for a decent brown suede boot once I find one.
My brother, I'm sorry you have to endure the nasty disappointment.
Wal-mart sells $30.00 boots that look better than that HM suede garbage (and I love the HMs). If AE wants to stay in business, they better focus on the details (or they will be gone in 2.5 years).

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Branding aside, how many of you have actually tried on the Freeport? I brought in a suede pair and the tag makes the tongue suede very, very stiff. I'm having visions of painful torn up shins until the tag softens... or my shins toughen up.
I tried them on in store. A half size down fit reasonably well (especially in suede). Didn’t notice any issue with the tongue, but only had them on a couple of minutes.
this might be heresy, but I’m not sure it’s quite my style. Seems like it should be a relative to the Portland, but vastly different in execution.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Branding aside, how many of you have actually tried on the Freeport? I brought in a suede pair and the tag makes the tongue suede very, very stiff. I'm having visions of painful torn up shins until the tag softens... or my shins toughen up.
You should try walking around in a brand new pair of stingray western boots....lol.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score
no… it’s gonna be fun though, and not something you can get from AE

Lord give us strength! We will be excited to hear about it.
We will be bitting our fingernails and drinking cheap dry red wine....
Please keep us updated!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you're crazy at all. I'm not sure I have the market cornered on crazy, but if you took a peek inside this melon, you'd see that the crazy runs deeper than usual.

But, considering a natty Freeport for this TS is definitely not crazy, given what you've outlined above. I love the HM, and I like the Landon, but the Landon definitely has more volume than the HM. If you're OK with the controversial branding tag on the Freeport tongue, you should think about your purchase this way: If someone asked you if you wanted to buy a natty shell Alden Indy with whatever type of sole you wanted for $725, you'd be crazy (or broke) not to jump on that. And, yes, I'm aware there are a couple of distinct differences between the Freeport and the Indy - heck, I'm wearing my Indy boots today - but, I think it's close enough to scratch that itch. Well, unless that itch is actually Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease, in which case, you should probably see a doctor.

Where was I? Oh, yes, trying to weasel you into a pair of natty shell Freeports. Do it! Dooooooooooo itttttttttttt! Don't forget, peer pressure stops once you give in.

Do it!!!
I would LOVE a pair of natty shell Freeports. AE is not making that available in a B-width unfortunately, even though the 1757 last that it’s built on has a B-width.

I kept hoping that AE would make it available for the trunk show, but I don’t think it’s going to happen.

DawgPound

Reaction score
If nothing in natty piques your interest, marbled black Strand would be a tempting choice. The only thing is that it comes with black welt and edge, which is... just fine. Shame we can't get it in the buff or whiskey welt/edge combo and matching stitching. With some tan laces, that would knock it right out of the park.
This! I plan to get the marbled black, but since the black edging, will probably put that on a boot like the Landon. I really wish we could changing up the welt and edging. Thinking natty on some Strands.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Ok your diagnosis is absolutely right. And I really appreciate the detailed guide. I’ve watched so many tutorials and tried different application methods and still having issues. I think I will practice on plain toes vs medallions. This one shoe you saw keeps accumulating dull wax around the medallion punches on the center particularly and I end up with a literal bump on the surface.

The shoe has been cleaned up and is now shined with shoe cream only. Next day off I have I’ll take a plain toe and give it a whirl.

Any tips on the Saphir pate wax vs the mirror gloss products? I have both. I’m not sure how to use the gloss which is supposed to be amazing but it’a very hard and crumbly. I think that’s normal but it’s also throwing me off.
I typically don't use the Saphir pate wax, since it's quite expensive for what it is. My favorite is actually, believe it or not, the Allen Edmonds store brand. The sales associate didn't know who makes it, and I cannot recognize the smell from any other brand. I do love how it handles though, and you can get very acceptable mirror shine just by itself.

The mirror gloss is the only Saphir product I use. (Which is still ridiculous for normal people to understand, right? $30 for wax? $30 is more than what most people think shoes are worth) All wax polishes are some mass of carnauba wax dissolved into some volume of solvent; mirror gloss just as a higher wax to solvent ratio. The increased wax content gets you a mirror shine more quickly, but it also makes it sticky/crumbly and hard to buff smooth. For that reason, you shouldn't use it on the leather itself since it'll drag and smear like crazy. Instead, wait till you have achieved a matte shine with the regular wax, before switching gears to mirror gloss. The way I apply it is the same, rubbing with two fingers and then lightly smearing it onto the toe of the shoe. You have to work fast (but gently) though, as there is so little solvent that it'll dry very quickly into a sticky film; could take just 30 seconds. Everything should look kind of smudgy/foggy but not necessarily uniform. At this point, don't increase pressure to keep buffing with fingers. Instead, switch to the cloth with just a tiny droplet of alcohol/water. Use that to buff the smudgy mirror gloss into a shine. Everything should feel very slippery, with no friction at all; any more than that and your cloth-drag will destroy the mirror shine just as quickly as you're buffing it on.

All of this is hard to explain in words; a lot of it has to be learned by feel unfortunately. I would suggest looking up Brift H's videos as that is the most similar I've found to my own preferred method.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically don't use the Saphir pate wax, since it's quite expensive for what it is. My favorite is actually, believe it or not, the Allen Edmonds store brand. The sales associate didn't know who makes it, and I cannot recognize the smell from any other brand. I do love how it handles though, and you can get very acceptable mirror shine just by itself.

The mirror gloss is the only Saphir product I use. (Which is still ridiculous for normal people to understand, right? $30 for wax? $30 is more than what most people think shoes are worth) All wax polishes are some mass of carnauba wax dissolved into some volume of solvent; mirror gloss just as a higher wax to solvent ratio. The increased wax content gets you a mirror shine more quickly, but it also makes it sticky/crumbly and hard to buff smooth. For that reason, you shouldn't use it on the leather itself since it'll drag and smear like crazy. Instead, wait till you have achieved a matte shine with the regular wax, before switching gears to mirror gloss. The way I apply it is the same, rubbing with two fingers and then lightly smearing it onto the toe of the shoe. You have to work fast (but gently) though, as there is so little solvent that it'll dry very quickly into a sticky film; could take just 30 seconds. Everything should look kind of smudgy/foggy but not necessarily uniform. At this point, don't increase pressure to keep buffing with fingers. Instead, switch to the cloth with just a tiny droplet of alcohol/water. Use that to buff the smudgy mirror gloss into a shine. Everything should feel very slippery, with no friction at all; any more than that and your cloth-drag will destroy the mirror shine just as quickly as you're buffing it on.

All of this is hard to explain in words; a lot of it has to be learned by feel unfortunately. I would suggest looking up Brift H's videos as that is the most similar I've found to my own preferred method.
You can find Mirror Gloss for much cheaper through http://www.pediwear.co.uk than 30 dollars.

I also personally prefer the saphir pate de luxe over Allen Edmonds, as I think it builds up a better coating for the mirror gloss, but I agree with your overall technique, save that you can more readily get a mirror gloss by buffing with a lady's nylon stocking.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would LOVE a pair of natty shell Freeports. AE is not making that available in a B-width unfortunately, even though the 1757 last that it’s built on has a B-width.

I kept hoping that AE would make it available for the trunk show, but I don’t think it’s going to happen.
Now that makes no sense at all.

manowar

Reaction score
I love the HM, and I like the Landon, but the Landon definitely has more volume than the HM.
I can't wear a Landon or a Freeport (narrow low volume feet)
Didn't know the Landon was that much more voluminous than the Higgins as it strikes me as narrower from the website shots - but good to know since I also have low volume feet. And I don't mean quietly sneaking new shoes past my wife into the closet (though it may happen).

The HM's fits me very nicely with no heel slip.

Are those Freeports in the Caper suede or Snuff? Either way it would be interesting to see some natural pictures. I want to like the boot but the sole throws me off - and they don't allow a sole swap on suede/CXL sadly.

I just wanted brown/snuff suede HMs, not these mangy hides.
Wal-mart sells $30.00 boots that look better than that HM suede garbage (and I love the HMs).
I'm no expert, but this "snuff" looks not far off what you might see on a roughout pair of White's Boots (while obviously in a thinner weight). It almost looks like it's supposed to be a distressed leather, or that the waterproof finishing (light waxing?) just muddles the nap of the suede.

If you're looking for another plain toe suede boot, I highly recommend Grant Stone.

ae_ashley

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I had them out of the box for a few minutes and then packed up sent them on their way.
The website still shows Premium Repello weatherproof suede for the snuff, loden and light brown. If these aren't all the same leather why are they listed as one style and one description? Misleading.
I had already made space in the shoe closet and new strings order. Guess I will save that space for a decent brown suede boot once I find one.
If you haven't sent them back yet, consider shooting them over to me. I'll make sure these are looked at, and I'll make sure your next pair are made with special attention. I'm sorry for this.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you haven't sent them back yet, consider shooting them over to me. I'll make sure these are looked at, and I'll make sure your next pair are made with special attention. I'm sorry for this.
Ashley isn't kidding. She is 100% going to help you out.

I trust Ashley explicitly. Her and Jason are my #1 AE people.

I also like the folks at the Roosevelt Mall in Long Island. I don't have that strong of a relationship with the AE people in Manhattan, if only because I don't do much of my shopping in store.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, anyone have the post that detail all the trunk show options again? I want to review them again.

KarlHungus

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.