• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ALLEN EDMONDS APPRECIATION THREAD 2021: News, pictures, clothing, accessories, etc.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
This is a little off-topic, but I don't understand why Allen Edmonds made a new McTavish (calf, with the clear lug sole), and then immediately put it in the clearance section. I don't think they were on the main site for even a day. Why not just price the shoe at $329?
Independence line has been so deeply discounted I'd be surprised if they came back. Then again, I don't work in retail, or marketing, or anything similar.
I agree and think the Independence line positioning was perhaps a bit tough to make work. If anything it seems clear AE is going the opposite direction (with sneakers, casual models etc) to catch mass market consumers. Probably a better way to "make money".....you know, as most companies are wont to do

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will defer to you on the Hamilton as I have never worn one or seen one in person....but they do show up if you filter for 201 last on the AE website. This may constitute growing evidence supporting the theory of "don't believe everything you read on the internet."

The 42 may work but seemingly limited selection of shoes in this last as well. The breadth of shoe types in 201 was previously great -- all of the classics from cap toe bal to wingtip to the AE semi brogue. Maybe finally time to try to figure out the 5-last.
It’s weird for me…. The 201 doesn’t work at all—too huge; but the 42 is great

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hamilton is on the 65. I have a few boots on the 65 and 201 and the Hamilton is definitely not on the 201. The 201 have the vamp space I like but feels longer and more narrow so I don't plan on getting anything else on it.

I do love my Dublin Tan Stirlings but I'd love them more on the 65.

AE should really do an updated and detailed page on their site about their lasts. It's the most critical part of how a shoe fits. A lot goes into making a shoe last you'd think they could take an few minutes and write something about it when they introduce a new one.

donkeyhoatie

Reaction score
Felt like a sand, MassDrop chukka kind of day today. They're not quite this tan in real life, it's just the sun confusing my iPhone - most likely because we hadn't seen the sun in a few days. Also including a triggering shot of the purely utilitarian Citizen Field watch I got off of MassDrop as a reminder of the good times when MassDrop existed as something more than just a place to get lousy electronic stuff. You used to be able to get lousy watches, too! Sometimes, they even had half-way decent watches! It really was a buyer's paradise.

I wish these chukkas were still available, so I could nab them in a couple more colors (blue and snuff and olive would all be nice). Once they stretched out a bit and I got used the feel of unlined (and unstructured) suede, it was easy to see why so many people liked them. Just a great, sorta-511-lasted chukka. I mean, yeah, they say it's on the 511, but it's definitely narrower than other 511s. If you ever come across one, nab it. If it feels weird at first, that just means it's working. Give it a few wears and you'll come around on it. I promise. And, if you don't come around, feel free to take it up with MassDrop.
IMG_5408.jpg
IMG_5411.jpg

michaeliany

Reaction score
AE should really do an updated and detailed page on their site about their lasts. It's the most critical part of how a shoe fits. A lot goes into making a shoe last you'd think they could take an few minutes and write something about it when they introduce a new one.
Totally agree.
While the pics beside each shoe last description on the site help, a side-by-side comparison much like what TheShoeMart provided here would be even better.
At least we’re fortunate enough to have @Neo1 ‘s takes on the lasts.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's very unlikely the Independence line is going to return anytime soon. Casual shoes are the thing now and most customers are probably looking to save money. But who knows, maybe they will release something as a webgem or MTO option? I don't think the 201 is going anywhere, as they just released a bunch of new McTavishes on it. It's a great last for me.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never owned anything from the Independance line. But if the options were offered in a trunk show or MTO event, I would probably pull the trigger on a "Cambridge Masterpiece" in Brown or Chili shell cordovan.

Adhazem

Reaction score
I think it's very unlikely the Independence line is going to return anytime soon. Casual shoes are the thing now and most customers are probably looking to save money. But who knows, maybe they will release something as a webgem or MTO option? I don't think the 201 is going anywhere, as they just released a bunch of new McTavishes on it. It's a great last for me.
I thought I was gonna get one of their last pairs, my first in independence. After waiting for a week for it to show up unfortunately it was not in a good condition. Frayed stiching, small but visible hole in the upper. I wouldn’t have accepted them as seconds so I sent back. I ordered what I was told the last pair in my size but that was lost in shipping or something and I got a refund. I keep going back to the site to see if anything pops up since their supply of those is always changing.
F3A68E7D-0459-419F-9994-C66562F378E9.jpeg
7474C7CF-91A0-4E09-BC7E-AA09B213F384.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I was gonna get one of their last pairs, my first in independence. After waiting for a week for it to show up unfortunately it was not in a good condition. Frayed stiching, small but visible hole in the upper. I wouldn’t have accepted them as seconds so I sent back. I ordered what I was told the last pair in my size but that was lost in shipping or something and I got a refund. I keep going back to the site to see if anything pops up since their supply of those is always changing. View attachment 1674552 View attachment 1674555
Are those actually misaligned eyelets to make the overlap???

Adhazem

Reaction score
Are those actually misaligned eyelets to make the overlap???
I don’t think so?The leather is just soooo soft I think it just leaned inwards but I could be mistaken. I did send them back.

Adhazem

Reaction score
The shoe and leather felt unlike any other Allen Edmonds I have. Like way softer.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.