• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the last two years I’ve seen Bedo’s, The Elegant Oxford and Trent & Heath become incredibly busy off cheaply produced YouTube videos.

Hope you weren't referring to my humble channel.

I agree with you that AE doesn't do as good of a job with Youtube as they could. I'm sort of a volunteer for them, but I am honest in my content, and will criticize when necessary. I'll also tell you the most annoying thing about making videos for me. I end up recording the audio several times because my microphone is super sensitive to lip smacking. I can't stand the sound of that in my audio, so I sometimes record myself saying the same sentence 5 times until there is no smack.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Mac-Something wingtips even on Thursday. I’m thinking my trousers are too short, but went with the American Psycho/Wall Street look today.

EB690B2C-31B4-4E57-ABEE-5E66AE89052A.jpeg
1014643C-FAFF-4693-AF2D-45773318E603.jpeg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If any of you narrow foot guys have been wanting the McTavish, here is your chance.

The fit in the heel has dramatically improved.
They are now offered in a B width.
Chestnut is off the chats in color.

The only downside is the translucent sole. That can be fixed down the road.

I took mine out for their first day in the wild yesterday, and I kind of like the sole. Granted, I bought the waxed suede upper version, so these are clearly being geared towards late Fall and Winter beaters in Chicago. Sole seems comfortable enough, and doesn't stand out as garishly as some British country shoes with full on commando soles. If there's any wear or reliability problems, I guess I'll just throw some proper Dainite on them. Considering I paid 140 for them, I guess I have the first re-soling baked into the price.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took mine out for their first day in the wild yesterday, and I kind of like the sole. Granted, I bought the waxed suede upper version, so these are clearly being geared towards late Fall and Winter beaters in Chicago. Sole seems comfortable enough, and doesn't stand out as garishly as some British country shoes with full on commando soles. If there's any wear or reliability problems, I guess I'll just throw some proper Dainite on them. Considering I paid 140 for them, I guess I have the first re-soling baked into the price.

Dainite won't work in Chicago winters. Dainite doesn't have much grip on ice.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
I’m having an issue with poron insoles and wondering if the forum has any advice. After the shoes came back from re-crafting the insole started sliding off the heel and bunching at the centre of my foot, creating a ridge inside the shoes. The insole is glued down and I don’t think I can safely remove it and glue it myself without tearing either the insole or the footbed. I’m thinking of asking my cobbler but curious if anyone else has suffered this issue?
9AF77A05-B187-442F-AEA4-A391CE5701E4.jpeg
26C06B8C-7D4B-4AD0-BDDD-27F080061A8E.jpeg
9AF77A05-B187-442F-AEA4-A391CE5701E4.jpeg
26C06B8C-7D4B-4AD0-BDDD-27F080061A8E.jpeg

DawgPound

Reaction score
PSA for bargain shell shoppers. Not my listing, but I just saw what looks to be a gently used Fairgate pair in 11 EEE on eBay with a BIN price of $80. I think it’s on the 511 last, so not the right size for me. Have fun!

Look at this on eBay

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA for bargain shell shoppers. Not my listing, but I just saw what looks to be a gently used Fairgate pair in 11 EEE on eBay with a BIN price of $80. I think it’s on the 511 last, so not the right size for me. Have fun!

Look at this on eBay
Not my size. Seller thinks it’s leather.

Southwick

Reaction score
Hope you weren't referring to my humble channel.

I agree with you that AE doesn't do as good of a job with Youtube as they could. I'm sort of a volunteer for them, but I am honest in my content, and will criticize when necessary. I'll also tell you the most annoying thing about making videos for me. I end up recording the audio several times because my microphone is super sensitive to lip smacking. I can't stand the sound of that in my audio, so I sometimes record myself saying the same sentence 5 times until there is no smack.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the name of your channel?

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m having an issue with poron insoles and wondering if the forum has any advice. After the shoes came back from re-crafting the insole started sliding off the heel and bunching at the centre of my foot, creating a ridge inside the shoes. The insole is glued down and I don’t think I can safely remove it and glue it myself without tearing either the insole or the footbed. I’m thinking of asking my cobbler but curious if anyone else has suffered this issue?
View attachment 1649309 View attachment 1649310 View attachment 1649309 View attachment 1649310
I’ve had that happen to a couple pairs, including a Brooks MacNeil. It sucks, but should be an easy fix for a cobbler. Some would argue you could fix yourself with Barge cement, but I prefer to have it set for a while using a press.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the name of your channel?

It is a great YouTube channel. I’m disappointed my fellow AE enthusiasts aren’t already subscribed.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads