• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ALLEN EDMONDS APPRECIATION THREAD 2021: News, pictures, clothing, accessories, etc.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
OMG!! Amazing news!! The Macneil will be offered at the next Trunk Show!!
Fantastic news. I think we all saw that coming.

When is the trunk show?

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Natural, bourbon or brown Mac Neils in shell or calf would be nice. Perhaps a tan welt.

Hopefully the US/Canada border is open by then because I’m planning on spending a lot of money…

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t tell if this CXL Chapman is a worthy successor of the CXL Long Branch or a cheap imitation.

Cheap (and ugly) rip off. Plus the branding of ae on the tongue...yuck.

The long branch was never a "nice" boot itself, but it had its appeal.

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score
Natural, bourbon or brown Mac Neils in shell or calf would be nice. Perhaps a tan welt.

Hopefully the US/Canada border is open by then because I’m planning on spending a lot of money…

All of that and so much more.....
AE plans to put their sneaker craze aside, so they can mentally prepare for the trunk show.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
No fear of wearing them out. Just trying to rotate the collection evenly so that everything gets a turn. I wear everything and almost all of it will outlast me.
Totally missed the part where you have more shell shoes than I have shoes. May you enjoy them for decades to come! I have a pair of MacNeils which I actually wear as beaters since I didn't know they would become some sort of coveted item. Looks like I'll be needing a shell pair next just to join in with the cool kids.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Totally missed the part where you have more shell shoes than I have shoes. May you enjoy them for decades to come! I have a pair of MacNeils which I actually wear as beaters since I didn't know they would become some sort of coveted item. Looks like I'll be needing a shell pair next just to join in with the cool kids.
Not everyone likes shell. All of the leathers are good in their own way. I was once in an AE store in California and looking at their display pair of shell shoes. They were scuffed and bloomed. Actually looked pretty bad. I asked the SA, "So, what is the deal with shell?" Seemed a good question to me and I wanted to know what justified the extra expense. This was his chance to explain it takes Horween 6 months to make shell versus 3 months for calf. He could tell me that shell was harder to source because of the decrease in horse hides. Instead, he said "You either get shell or you don't" and then walked away. I later learned some of the differences on my own. But yeah, I do like shell.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
All of that and so much more.....
AE plans to put their sneaker craze aside, so they can mentally prepare for the trunk show.
Mac Neil longwing gunboats are about as luckily as far away from sneakers as you can get.

By the way- how do you know all this?

Shoes4play

Reaction score

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Not everyone likes shell. All of the leathers are good in their own way. I was once in an AE store in California and looking at their display pair of shell shoes. They were scuffed and bloomed. Actually looked pretty bad. I asked the SA, "So, what is the deal with shell?" Seemed a good question to me and I wanted to know what justified the extra expense. This was his chance to explain it takes Horween 6 months to make shell versus 3 months for calf. He could tell me that shell was harder to source because of the decrease in horse hides. Instead, he said "You either get shell or you don't" and then walked away. I later learned some of the differences on my own. But yeah, I do like shell.
That's super obnoxious of him.... The SAs I know usually have some 30 second speech geared up, full of the tidbits you mentioned. This guy must have been having a bad day? I guess I'm one of the ones who don't "get it," as the material looks and feels a bit rugged for my tastes. I only have one pair of cordovan though, Daltons in that usual burgundy shade, an inherently rugged design. If they do a trunk show though I might show up and take a gander to see if the other colors and styles are more in line with the rest of my wardrobe.

By the way- how do you know all this?
Looks like we've found Ashley's burner account.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.