• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ALLEN EDMONDS APPRECIATION THREAD 2021: News, pictures, clothing, accessories, etc.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, Ol' Duke Santos is a little upset. My pair of Whitney PTB have developed a heel problem. I bought these on close out for 127 clams in Summer 2019, and they stayed pretty much unworn until earlier this year. I've given them a bit of wear but nothing excessive. Now, the heel block on one shoe is already going South. The rubber part is clearly coming unglued, and today I noticed that the bottom layer of the leather stack is also starting to give a bit.

Should I just have them fully resoled with a rubber city sole? Have a local cobbler glue the loose heel parts back? Would that make them ineligible for AE recrafting down the road? I also thought about using them as a test pair to check out Trenton & Heath's work.

Since that sole has been discontinued, I wonder what the official AE replacement would be.

@ae_ashley ?
Pictures?

Short answer is that any part of the heel stack is an easy fix for a cobbler, just make sure they they don’t attempt to tack the heel through the insole from the inside (as is common on other shoes), as that is a no-no with AE’s design (which only affixes the heel-base through the outsole from the bottom up). If they aren’t familiar with AE’s construction, and they do what I described, that will invalidate them for recraft. You most certainly don’t need to resole or recraft, and probably don’t need a new heel stack.

I wouldn’t get too discouraged, AE’s unitized 360 welt construction is very durable, but the heel stack has always been the one weakness in their design (going back to day one). However my cobbler can sort that situation out in 30 minutes during a lunchtime visit.

Duke Santos

Reaction score
Pictures?

Short answer is that any part of the heel stack is an easy fix for a cobbler, just make sure they they don’t attempt to tack the heel through the insole from the inside (as is common on other shoes), as that is a no-no with AE’s design (which only affixes the heel-base through the outsole from the bottom up). If they aren’t familiar with AE’s construction, and they do what I described, that will invalidate them for recraft. You most certainly don’t need to resole or recraft, and probably don’t need a new heel stack.

I wouldn’t get too discouraged, AE’s unitized 360 welt construction is very durable, but the heel stack has always been the one weakness in their design (going back to day one). However my cobbler can sort that situation out in 30 minutes during a lunchtime visit.

donkeyhoatie

Reaction score

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell me how does it feel?
But if it wasn't for the elimination of the 222 last, I'd be a heavenly person today.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of rain today.
7596698B-8B2C-4E23-BDB4-062B5A60367D.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Reaction score
Don't mind me, just filling the chili hole I had on my 2021 wear tracker. First time breaking out the SMU chili MacNeils in 2021. Can't believe it took until almost Memorial day to put these mofos on. I always forget how good chili calfskin looks and I'm still kind of kicking myself for not picking up the chili HMs Nordstrom had for $191.50 last month. One of these days, I'm going to dive into the chili shell hole. I can't wait to share it all with you when I finally do.

Rain was starting, so I had to take this one fast. Good thing we've still got those helicopters everywhere. I love finding them all over the house. Oh, and Phoebe loves to stop and eat them during our daily zoom sessions. Mrs. Donkey keeps yelling at me to at least try fighting their accumulation, but then the wind blows and about 1000 more drop on the driveway during the yelling session. Don't get me wrong, I still keep sweeping. I just like having a little timely visual justification for my procrastination from time-to-time.

IMG_5163.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.