• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ALLEN EDMONDS APPRECIATION THREAD 2021: News, pictures, clothing, accessories, etc.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@NYCTechNerd I'll jump in with the internet I'll size you wizzdumb...

I'm currently wearing 12.5 on the 65 have them in both D and E width not sure which I like better
I have a 12E on the 65, think maybe EE would be better they are a tad snug, but they have minimal weara on the (jinglebellmok's)
Higgins Mill 12D damn near perfect, just some slight tightness where the base of the tougne meets the vamp, besides that they fit like a glove (once I use a shoe horn to get my foot in lol!
Everything sneakers, Nike, new balance, asiacs, ect. 13D

Outliers;
Grant Stone leo last boots 11.5E seem to fit great, but boots are forgiving, I know you mentioned heel slipping issues in other threads
Thursday boots, forget the last but got a 12.5 length is good but width is too tight, may move them on or try and have them stretched

Not sure if this helps

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caught up with the little woman. She was playing with the fountain. It is all ready now.
46E12963-3540-43BA-B253-F1C82877831D.jpeg

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 more experience with the HM. I have very low volume feet, so that drives many of my fittings. I wear 9D in 65/201, 9.5D in 511, and 9.5B in the HM. 9D felt a little too short and 9.5D had way too much volume.

piano-shoes

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm the biggest Higgins Mill fan on this site, but I'm sure there are probably only a handful of people here who love the boot more than I do. I had to think a long, long time about pulling the trigger on a pair of chili leather HMs before deciding against it. I've got the brown CXL and color #8 shell, and I'm not sure how much variance I'm getting by adding this color, no matter how good the deal is.

And it's good.

Real good.

Like, super-good.

If you dare to look, Nordstrom's is offering chili Higgins Mills boots at $191.25. All widths and sizes. They've got a couple other sweet deals on AEs going on right now, but this was the one that jumped out at me. If you don't have a pair, I can't imagine you're going to find a price much better than this for first quality, let alone in an awesome color like chili. I'm probably going to kick myself for not nabbing a pair, but I'm holding out hope for a pair later on this year in a color that contrasts a bit more with the two I've already got. Maybe navy or bourbon shell at a trunk show. Or, maybe one of the suede pairs AE offers. Or, maybe that grain weatherproof version. Or, if the @ae_ashley fairy every grants my wish for a Dublin trunk show, something in tan or cognac.

Anyway, get them while they're hot. Oh, and they're hot.
Thanks for the tip! Just ordered mine

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ae_ashley Wearing these today felt weird and I could hear a triple tap when walking - back heel, front heel then sole so I did a balance check. This is 4 pennies which comes to 6.08 mm. This is just not good.
I have had the same problem on several pairs over the years. The three "clunks," as I call them, actually make the shoes uncomfortable for me to wear. I had a cobbler fix one pair, my alligator Chesters, and they were then without any issue at all. He called the procedure "resetting the heel." They are special shoes and worth the bother. The others I just sold because I would never wear them. It is now something I check on every pair before I wear them.

MrOxford

Reaction score
Waxed Suede McTavish sizing help needed.

I am a 10D on the 511 (Wilbert)
I am a 9.5E on the 65 (PA, 5A, Strand, etc.)

I thought I would be a 9.5D on the 201 (having tried a Bartlett several months ago). They showed up and I could barely get my foot in the shoe. Could this be in outlier or do I need a different size on the 201?

I have a narrow heel and wider forepart if that helps (with sizing me over the internet). Stores no longer have this model in-stock and I don't want to keep buying and returning via online. My options are a 10D which I am not sure will be wide enough or a 9.5EEE which will be too wide at the heel. Am I just SOL with this model?

View attachment 1591662View attachment 1591663
Why don't you order both the 10D and 9.5EEE? Try both of them, and send one or both back to AE if one or both didn't fit. Shipping is peanuts in the land of the green-backs (US dollars). My wallet takes a hit on brokerage fees and an extra levy in AE pricing (plus $20 US dollars) to come north into Canuck land (Canada).

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Have any of you worn the Mercer Street loafers in any of their suede colors? If so, what do you think of them?

I typically wear a 14E in oxfords, although I can also wear size 13 EEE in a long last like the 65. Do you think a 13 EEE would work in a loafer like the Mercer Street? There aren’t many other options — a lot of brands, and even a number of Allen Edmonds models, do not go larger than 13 D.

LC7

Reaction score
Waxed Suede McTavish sizing help needed.

I am a 10D on the 511 (Wilbert)
I am a 9.5E on the 65 (PA, 5A, Strand, etc.)

I thought I would be a 9.5D on the 201 (having tried a Bartlett several months ago). They showed up and I could barely get my foot in the shoe. Could this be in outlier or do I need a different size on the 201?

I have a narrow heel and wider forepart if that helps (with sizing me over the internet). Stores no longer have this model in-stock and I don't want to keep buying and returning via online. My options are a 10D which I am not sure will be wide enough or a 9.5EEE which will be too wide at the heel. Am I just SOL with this model?

View attachment 1591662View attachment 1591663
I'm a 12E on the 65 and a 12D on the 201. I tried the black McTavish a while ago to discover this but returned them in favor of brown, which I am awaiting. There was a tiny bit of heel slip, but not bad. It may be the leather, but I found these really stiff when I tried them on, so they may require more break in.

LC7

Reaction score
Have any of you worn the Mercer Street loafers in any of their suede colors? If so, what do you think of them?

I typically wear a 14E in oxfords, although I can also wear size 13 EEE in a long last like the 65. Do you think a 13 EEE would work in a loafer like the Mercer Street? There aren’t many other options — a lot of brands, and even a number of Allen Edmonds models, do not go larger than 13 D.
I think that may work. I tried the Mercer's in 12D (what I am on the 201) and they pinched my toes, especially the pinkies, so I'd say they run really narrow. They're nice loafers. Lightweight, nice rubber pad, simple and conservative aesthetic.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.