• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ALLEN EDMONDS APPRECIATION THREAD 2021: News, pictures, clothing, accessories, etc.

NYCTechNerd

Reaction score
I was hoping someone with real world experience could add to the official AE last definitions for these two shoes: MacNeil (97 Last) versus McTavish (201 Last) in regards to overall fit especially heel area and toe box. I have finally come to the conclusion that the 65 last does not work for me because is it long, straight, and narrow but am still trying to find something else on a different last that might work.

97 LAST: The 97 last is the best fit for the average foot. The 97 last is one of Allen Edmonds early lasts, and has a soft, slightly pointed toe. It lays flatter in the toe area for a classic American look.

201 LAST: This last has a higher cone, providing more room for a higher instep and contemporary shelf appeal. The toe down has fuller forefoot width for more comfort and slight chisel to the toe profile, providing a sleek looking aesthetic which complements our iconic 65 last.

1614783919422.png
1614783987665.png

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jeans and strands today

83671190-5272-4731-A23E-81422CB670DC.jpeg

munchau

Reaction score
I was hoping someone with real world experience could add to the official AE last definitions for these two shoes: MacNeil (97 Last) versus McTavish (201 Last) in regards to overall fit especially heel area and toe box. I have finally come to the conclusion that the 65 last does not work for me because is it long, straight, and narrow but am still trying to find something else on a different last that might work.

97 LAST: The 97 last is the best fit for the average foot. The 97 last is one of Allen Edmonds early lasts, and has a soft, slightly pointed toe. It lays flatter in the toe area for a classic American look.

201 LAST: This last has a higher cone, providing more room for a higher instep and contemporary shelf appeal. The toe down has fuller forefoot width for more comfort and slight chisel to the toe profile, providing a sleek looking aesthetic which complements our iconic 65 last.

View attachment 1566495View attachment 1566496
I always look up @Neo1's sizing guide. Here is what he says:

97 - A sort of strange fit where the toe box is extremely narrow and the heel is quite wide. Like the 65, playing with the size, a lot of people manage to get this one to work, some better than others. I find this one so-so, not bad. I went with a 7D here also, but I have heard people say they go up 0.5 sizes in length and down a width; I personally haven't tried that.
Balmorals: Boardroom (Park Ave?)
Bluchers - MacNeil, Hancock, Sanford, Atlantis, 6th Ave, Jodox, Riverside
Slip-ons - Grayson, Adams, Westchester, Manchester, Jermyn
Rough Collection slip-ons - Lake Shore Drive
Golf (Blucher) - Fort Worth 2.0

201 - tie for the first place I'd go if the 65 doesn't work. Literally like they took the 65 and made it accomdoate high arch people. The worse your arch issues are, the more noticeable it will be. 201 lined balmorals are awesome for me so far. 201 bluchers are a challenge - with something like the Rogue, I can reduce the volume enough by using heavy socks and tying the laces as tight as humanly possible. Most people I've heard stick with 65 size, some say down in length (I would advise against this). I've also heard people say that a D on the 201 feels like an E on the 65 - sort of. Depends how much the shape of the 201 affects your instep fit. It is possible for someone with flat feet (not me), the 201 might feel that much larger. Reference point - I went with a 7D here, but like I said, either down 0.5 sizes in length (maybe) or down a width might be possible for some people (from 65).

There have been people who would otherwise never be able to wear a balmoral who own the 201-lasted independence line and love them, but those who have thin feet have an issue here. If you have a thin foot (not necessarily narrow) and are already battling vertical negative space, you might experience sloppy creasing and laces that are completely closed together. This last just has a much higher cone.

Bluchers (reduced eyes) - Thomastown
Bluchers - Rogue, City, Union
Casual Bluchers - Shannon Drive
Bals - Jefferson 2.0, Hopkinson, Bartlett, Bloor St (PA), Richmond St (McA), Shelton 2.0
Rough Collection Bals - Overlord, Strandmok 2.0, Neumok 2.0
Slip-on/Monk - Warwick
Boot - 1st Ave, Sauk Drive
Chukka - Freiburg, Calgary
Casual Monk - Newberg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice photo, but it doesn’t seem the same without @Roycru on the platform...
On January 11th 2018 on the San Juan Capistrano depot platform in front of the parking structure @Rithrin climbed to the top of.

P1100799.jpeg

Extra Added Attraction: From ivy-style.com, an ad that was in "Mens Wear" (a trade publication) in 1964.

IMG_1153.jpeg

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1566495View attachment 1566496
Wish I knew what the average foot was. I have a very flat, low volume foot with decent cone rise. The 65 I can wear a 9.5C. The 201 works great in 9.5B. I wish the 97 came in a C width. I have to stretch a 9.5B out a bit. How do you feel about the 1943?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Search can't seem to find the AE Buy/Sell/Trade thread, so putting them here: Strawfut, size 9D, $175 shipped CONUS. These have been worn 3 times since new (which was around 2012 or so)

Attachments

ae_ashley

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've been a few posts lately expressing longing for COLOR. How great are the new Red Strandmoks, just released online? I'm loving this punchy color for Spring, and that we're using the chestnut dainite more often.

Strandmok_4633_CrimsonSuede_Angle_web.jpg

Strandmok_4633_CrimsonSuede_Top_Sole_web.jpg

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been a few posts lately expressing longing for COLOR. How great are the new Red Strandmoks, just released online? I'm loving this punchy color for Spring, and that we're using the chestnut dainite more often.

View attachment 1566588
View attachment 1566589

Finally!!

Those look awesome!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1566588
View attachment 1566589

WOW! Those look great! Red suede is sweeeet

NYCTechNerd

Reaction score
Wish I knew what the average foot was. I have a very flat, low volume foot with decent cone rise. The 65 I can wear a 9.5C. The 201 works great in 9.5B. I wish the 97 came in a C width. I have to stretch a 9.5B out a bit. How do you feel about the 1943?
Thanks and never tried it. The most important issue is my foot is not long, straight, and narrow like the 65 last but because my heel is narrow when I got to an EE or even an E width my heel slides all over the place.

NYCTechNerd

Reaction score
The heck with Wingtip Wednesday because I give you Wilbert Wednesday...

IMG_2514.jpg

And as I have shared before, the key to a great Wilbert is Saphir Cognac polish, that same polish used on the stitching to tone it down from the original white, and replace the original flat brown with round waxed laces.

BFT9000

Reaction score

View attachment 1566588
View attachment 1566589

WOW! I love it! The contrast tan piping is awesome!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Carmina

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 71 33.8%