• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoIrish

Reaction score
Do you need the massive volume of the 809? Can you get away with the artist formerly known as Mass Drop chukkas on the 511? I know they're a lot sleeker, but man are they a good casual chukka.

How about the Cyrus? This is a pretty generous last like the 809. Not snuff, but still brown tone
Don’t need the volume of the 809, but like the way it looks, particularly w/ denim! I’ll check out the MD, thanks!

Southwick

Reaction score
Simple question this morning. What is the group’s consensus on the XL lug soles currently prominently featured on AE boots vs. the Vibram lug soles? Quality, comfort, etc. I’m a fan of Vibram, and the XL soles look to be a little springier.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the dark brown suede with lug sole, and currently at a great price. View attachment 1511077
So good. Jason says the Light Brown might be the last shoe he buys for the year. FYI: the sole of the Lug Higgins cannot be converted. Neither can the Park City, though I am aware we have one of our brethren on here that's posted a custom pair already. Looks like they have been put on a no SMU list.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Simple question this morning. What is the group’s consensus on the XL lug soles currently prominently featured on AE boots vs. the Vibram lug soles? Quality, comfort, etc. I’m a fan of Vibram, and the XL soles look to be a little springier.
They are. I have all the sole types. The XL sole is good for anyone who wants light weight and comfort over other things. I don’t worry about a soles longevity anymore due to the big rotation that I have. I suspect it won’t last as long. I particularly like the XL less than other options. But the XL soles do not ruin the wearing experience. I actually need my shoes to provide a solid base for me to stand on due to severe pronation and bowed legs. But once I got used to the feel, I have no issues with that sole. YMMV.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Ok fellas (and Ashley)... I have some show and tell.

I bought these #8 shell patriots the other day on a bit of a lark. I threw out a lowball offer on these with no expectation of actually buying them but things happened. Anyway, they arrived looking a bit rough. I originally thought that they were very over polished but they also ended up being lot more dry than I'd expect of a newer pair of shell AEs. Not dry in the 50 year old vintage shell sense but for sure in need of love.

Here is how I bought them:

s-l1600 (65).jpg

As an aside, the last two pairs of shoes I bought someone literally threw the shoes into an empty box. No paper, no packing, nothing... please don't do that. It stresses me out opening a box with loose shoes floating around.

Anyway, after I got these, I gave them a quick look over and they are pretty minimally worn. Original soles and heels with maybe 10 or so wears. They're seconds but not 100% sure why... they don't match in the sun but I don't know if that was the case when they were new. Indoors they match pretty well, actually.

Here is how they look after cleanup with renomat, a coat of bick4, a coat of neatsfoot oil and a quick brushing. I'm in rehab from an arm injury so I can only brush for a minute or two at a time. These need more work but they are coming along well so far. I may sun fade the right shoe a little to get them a little closer in color.

6U6A4502.JPG
6U6A4503.JPG

Speaking of sun fading... for those of you still following along I have been giving a pair of C&Js a sun tan for the last few weeks. These are coming along well. They started off as a really dark #8.

6U6A4501.JPG

This is the only pic I have handy of how they looked new. Very dark.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So good. Jason says the Light Brown might be the last shoe he buys for the year. FYI: the sole of the Lug Higgins cannot be converted. Neither can the Park City, though I am aware we have one of our brethren on here that's posted a custom pair already. Looks like they have been put on a no SMU list.

AE may not offer different soles but as long as they can be "recrafted", a competent cobbler can do it. I can only imagine it is similar to other shoes/boots that AE makes and use this sole which can also be converted later by a cobbler, if not by AE.

A leather (or synthetic) midsole is stitched to the welt and then the XL sole is glued to the midsole by AE. So, a cobbler can either remove the XL sole and glue on a different rubber sole or a cobbler can remove the XL and midsole which allows you to do almost anything at that point.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AE may not offer different soles but as long as they can be "recrafted", a competent cobbler can do it. I can only imagine it is similar to other shoes/boots that AE makes and use this sole which can also be converted later by a cobbler, if not by AE.

A leather (or synthetic) midsole is stitched to the welt and then the XL sole is glued to the midsole by AE. So, a cobbler can either remove the XL sole and glue on a different rubber sole or a cobbler can remove the XL and midsole which allows you to do almost anything at that point.
True and this is probably the reason that they would be on the no SMU list. You would need to change the process to change the sole.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_20201206_132811175_HDR.jpg

The new Chili Verona needs a bit of attention IMO, because they're beautiful. I shot this outside and the Chili really pops in the sun. Perfect to dress up or down, in a color you can wear all year round. $100 off during the Holiday Sale!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s language that triggers me:
Bench Welt
Speed Welt
Feather Welt

"sickly yellow cxl"
"222"
"voyager"

Wow, I sure wasn't expecting the conversation to shift after I made my Indian style comment. I will mention that one of my grandmas was an American Indian. @polojock615 can confirm this.

Anyway, let's get back to shoes.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"sickly yellow cxl"
"222"
"voyager"

Wow, I sure wasn't expecting the conversation to shift after I made my Indian style comment. I will mention that one of my grandmas was an American Indian. @polojock615 can confirm this.

Anyway, let's get back to shoes.
I think we need a new term all together.
From now on, when I sit in that fashion, I will say that my legs are profilabinded.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads