• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t even know what that meant. But just the other day my Native American friend actually used the term “off the reservation”. But in all fairness he said the sentence, “When I moved off the reservation, I had issues keeping my status in the nation”, but of course a younger person in the conversation took offense. Not sure how you would talk about moving off the reservation without using those words.

we have an entire campaign work to correct exclusive language. You would be surprised how many expressions, idioms, etc., are pretty offensive when you actually look at them deeply. Some are actually drown right awful. As a kid, I heard them all an didn’t even think another thought about the actual meaning—even on the really bad ones. For example, the song “Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,” is among the worst.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
we have an entire campaign work to correct exclusive language. You would be surprised how many expressions, idioms, etc., are pretty offensive when you actually look at them deeply. Some are actually drown right awful. As a kid, I heard them all an didn’t even think another thought about the actual meaning—even on the really bad ones. For example, the song “Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,” is among the worst.
"Exclusive language" triggers me.

Soon we will all only be able to speak in state sanctioned newspeak enforced by your corporate HR department. If you don't like it you can join the bread line for your state handouts.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I got carried away today and completely forgot that you should not sit Indian style on pavement. While this will be easy to fix with some Saphir creme, please learn from my mistake.
I think the correct term is now "criss cross applesauce".
Soon we will all only be able to speak in state sanctioned newspeak enforced by your corporate HR department. If you don't like it you can join the bread line for your state handouts.

Maybe the way to approach this would have been to send the OP a private DM and share your concerns. I never think public shaming (intentional or not) is the way to inform someone about a cultural faux pas (or something worse) and make them feel good about understanding your concerns.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I have to google that in order to get why those words might offend.

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MD Chukka today.
4381AEEC-4B0A-472A-B474-CEB23B84A4D9.jpeg
A091E4BF-63A8-480E-B541-C74DEBAC6B77.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I have to google that in order to get why those words might offend.
Check out the Monster Hunter movie backlash in China over a bit of wordplay.

on AE, these are my winter house shoes (C&J velvet slippers for summer). As you can see there is a flaw using the same driver sole on wide widths. They’ll still give me many more years of service though I’m sure.
2CAF5B23-DAEB-4AD2-A5CE-201E8305CDBC.jpeg

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

So where do you draw the line? By way of example, there was a time when using the "n" word was part of the common vernacular. Is it your desire to go back to that time in the interest of anti-political correctness? There is more than sufficient vocabulary in the English language to communicate clearly without needlessly offending people.

It's one thing to accidentally say something that offends unintentionally. I have no doubt that was the case up-thread and it's doubtful that anyone thought much of it as a result. It's another thing to purposely use expressions that one knows are offensive to resist some purported fictional state enforcement of political correctness.

If anything it's this type of attitude that is very likely to put someone on the bread line since HR departments don't tend to have sympathy for people that purposely foster hostile work environments for their colleagues. It's a matter of respect and decency. It would be great if we could get back to that in our culture some day.

Just an alternative perspective for your consideration.

joman8390

Reaction score
So where do you draw the line? By way of example, there was a time when using the "n" word was part of the common vernacular. Is it your desire to go back to that time in the interest of anti-political correctness? There is more than sufficient vocabulary in the English language to communicate clearly without needlessly offending people.

It's one thing to accidentally say something that offends unintentionally. I have no doubt that was the case up-thread and it's doubtful that anyone thought much of it as a result. It's another thing to purposely use expressions that one knows are offensive to resist some purported fictional state enforcement of political correctness.

If anything it's this type of attitude that is very likely to put someone on the bread line since HR departments don't tend to have sympathy for people that purposely foster hostile work environments for their colleagues. It's a matter of respect and decency. It would be great if we could get back to that in our culture some day.

Just an alternative perspective for your consideration.

Can we please save the politics for somewhere else?

Back on topic, here are my brown grain 1st Aves. Personally I prefer these to the Landon, as I find the Landon’s cap to be to big (the 1st Aves are borderline to big too IMO). I hope the 1st Aves return for future trunk shows.

On that note, does anyone have an example of a shell 1st Ave with a storm welt?

AC781EA8-E471-4496-B2E5-9EC852E5174D.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still hung up on Woollymoks. So I got both.
91255CA3-8291-4E95-92D7-DF081CA15BDB.jpeg
0E56EC2C-673E-4188-9D10-62B24EBD4E34.jpeg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It's a matter of respect and decency. It would be great if we could get back to that in our culture some day.

For so long people without power did not feel they had the ability to speak up and share that certain words spoken by others triggered them and made them feel bad about themselves. Our society has evolved, as well as language, to meet the needs of a more informed, more culturally aware, and more diverse population around the world. So, while it may seem to some that the needle has moved to far one way in recent times, think about how far the needle was stuck on the other side for so very long and the people who were oppressed, kept silent, and often endured violence. As such, I think we can all be more careful with the words we choose to use.

Last edited:

GoIrish

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions on a replacement for my Gobi Snuff Suede Chukkas? Absolutely love them and disappointed AE discontinued. Perfect shape and shade for casual wear. Open to other brands w/ comparable last as well!
1607269641725.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads