• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's interesting how everyone here seems to want the lighter version whereas I am specifically interested in the darker version.
I find the really light raw color to look rather sickly out of the box, especially Alden’s pairs. I wasn’t wanting the light; I wanted lots of burnishing and as much of a two tone aesthetic as possible.
1502695D-BF3F-4FC1-91BD-AE536B4D0402.jpeg

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am not sure if you missed my post and accompanying chart from the other day but I posted them again below for reference; the original post has more detailed notes. It is actually the Oxblood 5A and McAllister that appear to have been discontinued with the color remaining in the PA and Strand. (I might be going against SF norms but I refer to the Fifth Ave as 5A because when I read FA, I think of the First Ave boot.)

Yellow = closeout pricing
Green = outlier
View attachment 1510721
If what you say is true, I'd buy the oxblood FA now before it's gone. I made the mistake of not buying Macneil's before it was too late and here I am waiting.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the really light raw color to look rather sickly out of the box, especially Alden’s pairs. I wasn’t wanting the light; I wanted lots of burnishing and as much of a two tone aesthetic as possible. View attachment 1510790
I was initially turned off by the weird greenish tint that some of the Natty CXL showed. I suspect that I’m not the only one.
I will say that after they age, they tend to lose that greenish tint and become a darker brown. I really feel like the “new” natural CXL is really about what the old CXL looked like after some age.

pricklyplums

Reaction score
Got these brown Delrays from the real real a few days ago brand new. Wanted to ask about these soles they look like their close channeled and the soles look different from all of my other pairs. Is this a different sole than what is typically offered? Any input would be great.

Attachments

• 20201204_101308.jpg
    20201204_101308.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201204_101252.jpg
    20201204_101252.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 27

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If what you say is true, I'd buy the oxblood FA now before it's gone. I made the mistake of not buying Macneil's before it was too late and here I am waiting.

I waited too long so the 5A and McA are sold out in my size on both leather and Dainite.:brick:

I don't see the point of an Oxblood 5A if one already has a Black PA. And, not sure if I like an Oxblood Strand which appears will be around for the foreseeable future.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I waited too long so the 5A and McA are sold out in my size on both leather and Dainite.:brick:

I don't see the point of an Oxblood 5A if one already has a Black PA. And, not sure if I like an Oxblood Strand which appears will be around for the foreseeable future.
I wear my PA only with suits. I wear anything with broguing as business casual because I'm not gonna give up wearing my favorite shoes simply because it's business casual at work. I think one thing this forum has problems with is that business casual for one place may be vastly different for another. I would never consider denim as business casual but others would if someone had a jacket or something.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Never mind. I see what you mean now.

pricklyplums

Reaction score

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Heard there was an extra 20% off from AE insider on FB for all seconds the other day. Any idea if this is still going on?
Usually they have the same deals at shoebank as what you'd find on the website. A few days ago they had a sitewide sale. I think that deal is over with and now it's just 30% off boots.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got these brown Delrays from the real real a few days ago brand new. Wanted to ask about these soles they look like their close channeled and the soles look different from all of my other pairs. Is this a different sole than what is typically offered? Any input would be great.
Those aren’t Delrays, and they look Blake stitched. They may be GYW, but look at how stitching ends before heel. those look to be from the Italian made line.

pricklyplums

Reaction score
Those aren’t Delrays, and they look Blake stitched. They may be GYW, but look at how stitching ends before heel. those look to be from the Italian made line.
They did look a bit different mainly the burnishing and the 10d was much more elongated than what I'm used to. Any idea of the exact model? I'm going to start scouring the internet now. They can't be older than maybe 2 or 3 years since they have the new logo.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They did look a bit different mainly the burnishing and the 10d was much more elongated than what I'm used to. Any idea of the exact model? I'm going to start scouring the internet now. They can't be older than maybe 2 or 3 years since they have the new logo.
I don’t remember off hand, sorry. Currently doing some wiring, but I’ll try to look later today

no model in footbed? What are the stamped numbers on tongue? Can search by model number maybe

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Probably came out around the same time as the Modigliani. They have the same stitching. FYI they won't recraft them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads