• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The question as posed suggests the formal end of the scale, but within those constraints I still like to add a little flair:

1. Carlyle - black (formal, but a little more stylish than Parks)
2. Fifth Ave. - burgundy (a discreet touch of brogue in a dressy cap toe)

I already own both, but since I live in California and mostly telecommute I rarely opt for either. Your question has gotten me scratching my head over my 20+ pairs of dressier models (Strands, McAllisters, MacNeils, etc.).

By way of context, I'm a performing arts journalist and while opening nights at some of the more prominent theatres might frequently seem to justify some formality, the dress standards these days are so shockingly low (even on Broadway) that I usually find myself way overdressed when I make the effort.

But that doesn't stop me from growing the collection (I sprang for the Tinsel Toes as soon as I saw them listed).

The words of King Lear echo through the centuries: "O reason not the need!"
one never insults anyone, by dressing well.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing MTO (thick rubber soles) black Rutledges today.

IMG_5639.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, at the Pasadena CA Metro Gold Line station. Went to Pasadena today since Pasadena is (for now) the only city in Los Angeles County where you can still eat outside.

(Yes, those are skulls and crossbones on my socks and yes, am wearing a Brooks Brothers 9/11 Memorial tie.)

IMG_5644.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, went to Tea Rose Garden in Pasadena today. Have often told people how large the scones there are. The scone is on the middle dish of the tiered server.

IMG_5655.jpeg

For fans of seasonal Throwback Thursday pictures in shoe threads, the Grinch and me at the Barnes & Noble store in The Grove on December 21st 2018.

P1120804.jpeg

Wearing snuff suede Neumoks (with rubber soles added by Willie's Shoe Service) in this picture. This picture was taken, as are most of my pictures, by putting the camera on a shelf (it's easy to find a shelf in a book store), setting the timer on ten seconds, and pushing the shutter button. It cost me nothing to take this picture with the Grinch.

It's now 2020 and the Grinch has finally stolen Christmas (and many other holidays). This year it costs $50.00 (and up) to take a picture (with up to four other people) with the Grinch at Century City.

Only way it would be worth $50.00 would be if there was a Christmas Trunk Show at the Allen-Edmonds store in Century City and four of us each put in $12.50 to take a picture with the Grinch and @ae_ashley .

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads