• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

srlclark

Reaction score
I hope people are up for another version of "What would you choose and why?"
(I wish there was a way to put a poll in an existing thread)

If you could only have 2 Allen Edmonds dress shoes that needed to cover all of your dress-up wardrobe occasions (tux, suit, sport coat and tie for work, weddings, funerals, etc.) what would they be?

The first shoe is a given: black Park Avenue

What is your second shoe, in what color, and why that one?:
  • Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand
  • Cigar, Coffee, Dark Chili, Mahogany, Oxblood, Walnut

Personally, I am very torn. Limited to 2 shoes Walnut is out immediately because it is the least versatile color IMHO. I really like Oxblood but think it may be more limited than Chili or Mahogany or even Coffee so its a pass as well. I like the Strand but it is too casual if I can only have 2 dress shoes. Maybe a Fifth Avenue when I am only wearing a sport coat (or when I am not wearing a navy or gray suit). My choices would be:

Safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Park Avenue - coffee
Not as safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Fifth Avenue - dark chili
Fun choice
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Strand - Cigar

I have 18 pairs of AE, but do not own a Park Avenue in any color, so my wardrobe needs are obviously different than yours. I have owned a black Fifth Avenue since June 2016, but I have worn it three times, I think (perhaps four, but definitely not five). A black cap-toe would thus definitely not be one of the two first dress shoes I would buy. Even a dark brown one is a bit formal for my needs. I've owned a dark brown stitch-cap toe from Carmina since February 2018 and have probably worn it four or five times. You ruled walnut out because of lack of versatility - given my circumstances that rules out shoes that are too formal to a significantly greater extent than it does shoes that are not formal enough if I'm stuck with just two pairs. I don't need black cap toes for funerals or weddings - I wore my Fifth Avenues to a Catholic funeral, but most people were in chinos. I'm a tenured professor, so I'm not likely to go for a job interview anytime soon. Even if I did need black cap toes for special occasions, if I only owned two shoes, I'd want two that I'd be happy to rotate as part of my work dress, and would just get a pair of black cap toes when I needed them. And I would never wear black shoes if I didn't have to do so - I'd go with brown or burgundy almost every time, occasionally switching them up for a pair in blue/grey/green.

I think I would go with these shoes in my collection if I could only keep two pairs:

1. Dark brown Kenilworth (I guess coffee or chili Boulevard is the closest alternative these days).
2. Merlot McAllister (I guess chili or oxblood is the closest alternative these days).

My fun choice would be:

1. Cognac McTavish.
2. Brown suede Dundee 2.0.

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
52ED9E38-ED1C-4BDD-837C-ABF363A95BEB.jpeg
The nicest sneakers I will ever wear. Most won’t even notice they are sneakers.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I so wanted to pull the trigger on one of those new blue shoes/boots, but it seems they are not offering them in 12.5 for some reason.

Ohh well guess that's more money in my pocket

pbrandes

Reaction score
I hope people are up for another version of "What would you choose and why?"
(I wish there was a way to put a poll in an existing thread)

If you could only have 2 Allen Edmonds dress shoes that needed to cover all of your dress-up wardrobe occasions (tux, suit, sport coat and tie for work, weddings, funerals, etc.) what would they be?

The first shoe is a given: black Park Avenue

What is your second shoe, in what color, and why that one?:
  • Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand
  • Cigar, Coffee, Dark Chili, Mahogany, Oxblood, Walnut

Personally, I am very torn. Limited to 2 shoes Walnut is out immediately because it is the least versatile color IMHO. I really like Oxblood but think it may be more limited than Chili or Mahogany or even Coffee so its a pass as well. I like the Strand but it is too casual if I can only have 2 dress shoes. Maybe a Fifth Avenue when I am only wearing a sport coat (or when I am not wearing a navy or gray suit). My choices would be:

Safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Park Avenue - coffee
Not as safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Fifth Avenue - dark chili
Fun choice
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Strand - Cigar

The question as posed suggests the formal end of the scale, but within those constraints I still like to add a little flair:

1. Carlyle - black (formal, but a little more stylish than Parks)
2. Fifth Ave. - burgundy (a discreet touch of brogue in a dressy cap toe)

I already own both, but since I live in California and mostly telecommute I rarely opt for either. Your question has gotten me scratching my head over my 20+ pairs of dressier models (Strands, McAllisters, MacNeils, etc.).

By way of context, I'm a performing arts journalist and while opening nights at some of the more prominent theatres might frequently seem to justify some formality, the dress standards these days are so shockingly low (even on Broadway) that I usually find myself way overdressed when I make the effort.

But that doesn't stop me from growing the collection (I sprang for the Tinsel Toes as soon as I saw them listed).

The words of King Lear echo through the centuries: "O reason not the need!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics