• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Understood. Like I said (and not trying to be a jerk here, but) this isn't what was trying to be discerned here. We're not talking about a blind blake stitch or a glued welt. @EZB purported a certain construction which isn't depicted in those videos.
The one I was talking about was definitely older

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Understood. Like I said (and not trying to be a jerk here, but) this isn't what was trying to be discerned here. We're not talking about a blind blake stitch or a glued welt. @EZB purported a certain construction which isn't depicted in those videos.
Wait--wasn't he talking about a blake that was trying to pass as a GYW? I must be missing something here...

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one I was talking about was definitely older
3rd time's a charm:
glued construction, glued welt, "midsole" reused, sole added, blake rapid?

Aenonymous

Reaction score
Wait--wasn't he talking about a blake that was trying to pass as a GYW? I must be missing something here...
That's correct. We're talking about how Blake can look like GYW with the addition of a welt. What's disputed is how that's actually achieved. @EZB said the welt is stitched to an upper, and the sole is stitched to the welt. I (and @NYCTechNerd) are not disputing that Blake can look like GYW but how that affect is achieved. My explanation of how I think it's achieved is several posts back.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's correct. We're talking about how Blake can look like GYW with the addition of a welt. What's disputed is how that's actually achieved. @EZB said the welt is stitched to an upper, and the sole is stitched to the welt. I (and @NYCTechNerd) are not disputing that Blake can look like GYW but how that affect is achieved. My explanation of how I think it's achieved is several posts back.
10-4. Agree.
I've seen the faux welt glued to an upper, but not stitched in such circumstances...

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope people are up for another version of "What would you choose and why?"
(I wish there was a way to put a poll in an existing thread)

If you could only have 2 Allen Edmonds dress shoes that needed to cover all of your dress-up wardrobe occasions (tux, suit, sport coat and tie for work, weddings, funerals, etc.) what would they be?

The first shoe is a given: black Park Avenue

What is your second shoe, in what color, and why that one?:
  • Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand
  • Cigar, Coffee, Dark Chili, Mahogany, Oxblood, Walnut

Personally, I am very torn. Limited to 2 shoes Walnut is out immediately because it is the least versatile color IMHO. I really like Oxblood but think it may be more limited than Chili or Mahogany or even Coffee so its a pass as well. I like the Strand but it is too casual if I can only have 2 dress shoes. Maybe a Fifth Avenue when I am only wearing a sport coat (or when I am not wearing a navy or gray suit). My choices would be:

Safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Park Avenue - coffee
Not as safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Fifth Avenue - dark chili
Fun choice
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Strand - Cigar

First Shoe: Black Hopkinson

Second shoe:
Either: brown shell MacNeil, or brown calf Jefferson 1.0, or snuff suede Macneil

I own all these except the brown shell Macneil but have the Carmina equivalent.

I think the Macsuede might work a bit better in spring / summer than the other #2's..

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serious question for those of you with shoes in both the 65 and 201 last do you change your size for them? If so which way do you go from your current 65 size?

With my high instep the 201 (Hopkinson) simply closes better than a 5 last Oxford in the same size. I’d recommend folks stick with their 5 last size when trying out the 201.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came back to NY for Thanksgiving and Christmas to find these waiting for me:

IMG_20201124_1618014.jpg

I cannot wait to shine them up and break them in!

The green is stupendous.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with weatherproof models? Do you care for them the same way you would a normal calf skin pair? Does polish and wax even work?

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Another huge drop on AE site.
Considering between

And

Help my decide :)

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering between

And

since they are completely different colors, and different ends of the boot style spectrum I vote for BOTH!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Considering between

And

Do you want a more casual dressy or weather shoe?
Which last fits you better?
Do you prefer dainite or combi sole?
Which color would you wear more?
Do you like padded footbeds or standard leather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads