• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will almost certainly be limited. When I go to the ordering page, it says that it needs to be crafted and has a 3-week delay. I don't think they are making these except during this time and only making them for those who order (basically MTO). I feel like I have to order it because I have no pebble grain shoes, love blue shoes, fit the strand well, love the blue with white sitching, and it HAS VTREAD! That last one is the clincher I think. The holiday shoes on leather are an immediate turn off to me. I have to put taps on them, which increases the cost and effort to me. Dainite is ok, but v tread is perfect.

+1.
I love airthing about this shoe, but I've reached my limit for wasting money this year.

Southwick

Reaction score
Actually...I have some really great news.

Over the summer, we shifted ALL welted production back to Wisconsin. Previously we had moved some casual welts to the DR. We haven't changed the country of origin on the website because we obviously have some mixed inventory (DR and WI) in the distribution center. Really good news though, overall! ?
This is really great news!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually...I have some really great news.

Over the summer, we shifted ALL welted production back to Wisconsin. Previously we had moved some casual welts to the DR. We haven't changed the country of origin on the website because we obviously have some mixed inventory (DR and WI) in the distribution center. Really good news though, overall! ?

Allen Edmonds' commitment to MIUSA craftsmanship is part of the reason I am such a huge supporter of your brand (besides your styles being amazing and your shoes being so well made). I am so happy to hear this.

U S A
S
A

??????

HGerbracht

Reaction score
How is the fit of this 65 lasted blucher (i.e. Boulevard) compared to a 65 lasted oxford (i.e. PA, 5A, Strand)?

Current or previous generation Alpinist? Have you seen some of the third party bracelets for it

I generally agree with the below quote re: the fit of the Boulevard compared to my Fifth Aves.

As for the watch, this is the SARB017 with an oem seiko bracelet. Those bracelets are pretty bare bones when it comes to the clasps (especially compared to the strapcode versions), but I liked that it was seiko branded.

The fit is very similar, but much more flexible. My McGregors are about the best-fitting shoe I have. The 65-lasted bluchers can actually get tighter or looser than the Oxfords in both the top and bottom of the throat.
StrapCode made a great bracket with solid end links and a milled clasp. At the price point, it is unbeatable quality. I love their aftermarket products and they take "most" watches to the next level.

I completely agree. My skx007 lost its rubber strap and gained a strapcode oyster bracelet almost immediately!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
How is the fit of this 65 lasted blucher (i.e. Boulevard) compared to a 65 lasted oxford (i.e. PA, 5A, Strand)?

Current or previous generation Alpinist? Have you seen some of the third party bracelets for it:

Alpinist looks best on a leather strap in my humble opinion. I like this tier seiko... I have a few of them, although not the alpinist (yet).

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As for the watch, this is the SARB017 with an oem seiko bracelet. Those bracelets are pretty bare bones when it comes to the clasps (especially compared to the strapcode versions), but I liked that it was seiko branded.

Alpinist looks best on a leather strap in my humble opinion. I like this tier seiko... I have a few of them, although not the alpinist (yet).

My customized SARB035 and SKX011:
- SARB035 gets new straps all the time and has a new crystal with cyclops.
- SKX011 gets new BluShark strap, crystal with cyclops, ceramic bezel insert, new hands, and upgraded NH36 movement which hacks and hand winds.
SARB035.JPG
SKX011.JPG

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Very nice. I have absolutely no pics handy but my small seiko collection includes a SARB035 (like yours but on brown shell), SARB065 (cocktail time on black shell), SARB045 (on oem bracelet), and one of the original black dial Monsters. The model number on that one is escaping me. That was my first seiko, actually.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tinsel Ave or walnut/olive Strandmok? Hmmmmmm.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very nice. I have absolutely no pics handy but my small seiko collection includes a SARB035 (like yours but on brown shell), SARB065 (cocktail time on black shell), SARB045 (on oem bracelet), and one of the original black dial Monsters. The model number on that one is escaping me. That was my first seiko, actually.

I like having them customized.

And then this one...SNZH55 made to look like a Blancpain Fifty Five Fathoms:
- new strap, new crystal, new dial, new crown and winding stem, and upgraded NH36 movement which hacks and hand winds. I never wear this one so I am thinking about selling it.
SNZH FFF strap 430.JPG

Last edited:

Aenonymous

Reaction score
Yes, the XL sole is "cemented" to a leather (or synthetic) midsole but the shoe is not actually "cemented construction" which is often used in lower quality cheap shoes. The midsole is the piece that is stitched to the welt which means this shoe is still a Goodyear welted shoe that can be recrafted.

I have been helping a cobbler update his website and have learned far too much about this stuff. As-in, this is what I wrote for him about different welt/construction types that he could put on his website for customers:

The three main types of shoe construction, from least expensive and less durable to most expensive and more durable, are Cemented, Blake stitched, and Goodyear welted.

Goodyear welted shoe and boot construction uses a strip of leather known as a welt. It is first attached to the upper portion of a shoe and then used to attach the sole. This welt is what allows shoes and boots to be recrafted by cobblers who remove the worn-out sole and attach a new one to the existing welt. A leather welt usually only needs to be replaced if it is damaged or worn-out if the shoes soles have been replaced multiple times.
One of the important aspects of GYW is the welt isn't just attached to the upper but is also simultaneously stitched to the ribbing on the bottom of the insole (if you think that's important for your cobbler's description).

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I might have to get both because Tinsel sizing. The insole on the Woollymok makes a D width very good for me. Tinsel partial lining could throw me into a C width. But if I am lucky a B width. How often have I been thrown out of a shoe based on lack of widths!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the important aspects of GYW is the welt isn't just attached to the upper but is also simultaneously stitched to the ribbing on the bottom of the insole (if you think that's important for your cobbler's description).

I might have to get both because Tinsel sizing. The insole on the Woollymok makes a D width very good for me. Tinsel partial lining could throw me into a C width. But if I am lucky a B width. How often have I been thrown out of a shoe based on lack of widths!
Both is correct. I really miss shoes. I didn’t even shower today....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads