• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, Schautal's are the way to go on a wingtip Wednesday. Love this shoe. Hint, hint, it would make a great webgem should those every come back.

IMG_9728.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
It looks like they missed some of the stitches though

I'm not sure how the panels are assembled in the factory but it looks to me like the panel was slightly misaligned and they reopened the seam and restitched part of it. Or, perhaps they ran out of thread and pierced the leather without stitching, then went back and redid it with thread. Who knows. But it looks fully stitched to me.

Just out of pure curiosity, I wonder if the stitch for this seam is through the inside lining. That would mean it was repaired after the shoe was assembled (I think).

schweezly

Reaction score
quoted a few of the responses, tried to avoid duplicates from the same person

Are these firsts or seconds? The holes themselves aren't going to affect the integrity of the leather itself as evidenced that there's other holes elsewhere in leather shoes, unless under there there's a bunch of needle holes right next to each other. That could lead to a weakened panel, just like multiple restitches on a welt.

well they’re from Amazon directly, so you’re guess is as good as mine. im fine calling them 2nd because they were on sale for $166.xx but they are advertised as firsts and sold at full price usually. Exchanging isn’t an option unless I want to pay the difference

It looks like they missed some of the stitches though

I don’t think they did, I think it’s more what Stook mentioned below...

I'm not sure how the panels are assembled in the factory but it looks to me like the panel was slightly misaligned and they reopened the seam and restitched part of it. Or, perhaps they ran out of thread and pierced the leather without stitching, then went back and redid it with thread. Who knows. But it looks fully stitched to me.

Just out of pure curiosity, I wonder if the stitch for this seam is through the inside lining. That would mean it was repaired after the shoe was assembled (I think).

ill try and check the inside later

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks! By "leaning more towards professional", I meant that instead of chinos and a more casual button down, I often wear a suit, without the tie, and take the jacket off once in the office. So, suit trousers and a more formal button down (usually with the sleeves rolled up once in the office). I think you've hit the nail on the head with burgundy over oxblood, as my biggest drawback from pulling the trigger thus far has been the variety of oxbloods that I've seen -- ruby red all the way to dang near burgundy. I'd like something closer to the latter, but am currently priced out of the shell options. Is there a consensus on getting a ruby red oxblood and makeshifting it into something close to burgundy with brown/navy/black cream?

This is a fair assessment, and something I've only just recently noticed myself. When starting my collection, I was more focused on building a variety of colors and the "formality" of oxford v. non-oxford. I think more broguing is certainly next, but hadn't given too much thought over Strand v. McCallister. Any opinion on the difference in oxblood colors between the two (or, is it less model-specific and more year-specific)?

Thank you! I agree, and if I can't break into shell just yet / find a darker oxblood option, perhaps I should just pick a different brown. Maybe Cigar or something. Avatar is our Covid pup, Josie. You've got a good looking pup yourself!
This is Oxblood. Just used burgundy cream polish and a bit of blue wax on the toe.
96B6FFCF-F5EC-4A38-A9F0-B721E67AD647.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we are here to talk about shoes and clothing why not use these types of posts to learn from each other because what I may want/need on the East Coast may be different from what someone else chooses in another part of the US or another country.

I really appreciate the thoughtful responses people share.

I wouldn't consider California's rules as pretty much anything goes out here.
Anybody up for a little SAT/Word-Play this morning?

If Strand (finished leather, flat welt, toe cap with medallion, 65, MUSA) is to Strandmok (rough leather or suede, split reverse welt, toe cap with medallion, 65, MUSA),

And if McAllister (finished leather, flat welt, wing tip with medallion, 65, MUSA) is to Neumok (rough leather or suede, split reverse welt, wing tip with medallion, 65, Imported),

What is the McTavish (finished leather or rough leather or suede, split reverse welt, wing tip with medallion, 201, MUSA)? Is the McTavish the 201 version of both the McAllister and Neumok?

To further confuse matters:
  • Is the Hopkinson the 201 version of the Park Avenue?
  • Is the Bartlett the 201 version of the Strand?
  • Then what is the 201 version of the Fifth Avenue?
  • And why is the Neumok imported when all others are MUSA?
  • And why did they call it Neumok? Wouldn't McMok or Allistermok or even McAllistermok have been a better choice?

*** I am sick in bed, thankfully not C19, cold medicine is making me a little woozy, and apparently that has made me hyper focus on shoes and SF posts yesterday and today ***

I have cold too today. First one since March 3rd. But so far, it's just a mild headache and fatigue. This is one advantage to the stay at home thing.

The Hopkinson is the 201 version of the PA, minus the triple stitching. I own a pair -- super comfortable shoes. Most prefer the PA because the Hopkinson has a tendency to crease past the cap toe, which makes the shoe less beautiful. We have a name for this kind of creasing around here.

The Bartlett is the 201 version of the Strand. Ironically, both pairs of mine do not have more instep room than my Strands. However, the 201 does have a slightly wider heel, and the heel to joint measurement is a little longer. My widest part of my foot is always slightly behind the widest part of the shoe, but the size is correct.

First Ave? Not my cup of tea, so won't comment.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
”McMok’s” were mentioned by @NYCTechNerd and @EZB. Today is the nationwide return of the McRib and it is wingtip Wednesday, I present for your viewing pleasure, the “McMok’s!”
7FCB97E5-DA69-42FE-8983-6D6AAC68BDC9.jpeg
2A586A14-C688-4469-A226-F532A7634609.jpeg
46E62423-17A5-4295-8C6C-7C0D9965BD65.jpeg
934EB60B-5D93-4646-BED5-FE6D4344C1A1.jpeg
Enjoy!

<edit>
And yes, I was safe when I went out. Although I don’t have permission from the Queen to officially wear the Royal Stewart tartan, I don’t think she would mind nor do I think anyone here in the colonies would care.
FB1D7003-4BC6-46F5-AE8C-DBB4F81A5965.jpeg

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
quoted a few of the responses, tried to avoid duplicates from the same person

well they’re from Amazon directly, so you’re guess is as good as mine. im fine calling them 2nd because they were on sale for $166.xx but they are advertised as firsts and sold at full price usually. Exchanging isn’t an option unless I want to pay the difference

I don’t think they did, I think it’s more what Stook mentioned below...

ill try and check the inside later
If it’s from *that* place, I consider them seconds even if they aren’t officially marked as such. They pass off second and outlet quality stuff as firsts all the time.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And yes, I was safe when I went out. Although I don’t have permission from the Queen to officially wear the Royal Stewart tartan, I don’t think she would mind nor do I think anyone here in the colonies would care.

You are killing it today. I thought I might get POTD (Post of the Day) but I think you won it when you brought it all with the real-life McMok's. Seriously though, if you are choosing to go out in the middle of a pandemic and within a surge, is a MicRib really what you want to eat as good as it might be?

Last edited:

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • And why is the Neumok imported when all others are MUSA?
I could be wrong, so guys please correct me on this if needed...the Neumok being imported (made in the DR I believe) is a relatively recent change. The newest batches of Neumoks although welted, have the XL sole cemented on. They are still recraftable, but if you look at the bottom of the sole, no stitching. Maybe production in the DR needed something more than boat shoes to keep them busy ( pure speculation on my part). ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads