• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you find those? If I follow your link I get them but not if I look in general on AE. I do get if I search the name. thanks

Oh, almost everyday I check the "new" drop down menu in the top left. Then scroll down to "shoes and boots". You will find their newest offerings by doing that.

I don't know why, but this navy Strand looks much better with the white (silver?) laces than the navy Strandmok. Something about it just works better. Maybe because of the white contrast stitching?

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hope people are up for another version of "What would you choose and why?"
(I wish there was a way to put a poll in an existing thread)

If you could only have 2 Allen Edmonds dress shoes that needed to cover all of your dress-up wardrobe occasions (tux, suit, sport coat and tie for work, weddings, funerals, etc.) what would they be?

The first shoe is a given: black Park Avenue

What is your second shoe, in what color, and why that one?:
  • Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand
  • Cigar, Coffee, Dark Chili, Mahogany, Oxblood, Walnut

Personally, I am very torn. Limited to 2 shoes Walnut is out immediately because it is the least versatile color IMHO. I really like Oxblood but think it may be more limited than Chili or Mahogany or even Coffee so its a pass as well. I like the Strand but it is too casual if I can only have 2 dress shoes. Maybe a Fifth Avenue when I am only wearing a sport coat (or when I am not wearing a navy or gray suit). My choices would be:

Safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Park Avenue - coffee
Not as safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Fifth Avenue - dark chili
Fun choice
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Strand - Cigar

What if you could choose three? Would you change either of your original 2 options?

I have been hovering on and off the AE website all day and I might actually pick these as they could work for all shades from dark to light of suits/jackets/pants and for all occasions:
  • Park Avenue - Black
  • Fifth Avenue - Dark Chili
  • Strand - Walnut
While I still like oxblood, in a 3 shoe setup I would actually choose walnut. I looked through my closet today and although I have downsized my dressier clothing over the past few years, I still have wool slacks in darker colors such as navy and olive but also have light tan and very light grey on the lighter spectrum. IMHO, lighter colors are more casual and probably need a walnut strand to match them more so than even the Chili.

In practice:
  • Black Park Avenue for Tux, navy suit, and charcoal suit
  • Dark Chili Fifth Avenue for navy blazer and darker shade odd jackets with darker shade wool trousers
    (often in the late-fall/winter/early-spring)
  • Walnut Strand for lighter shade odd jackets with lighter shade wool trousers
    (often in the late-spring/summer/early-fall)

If you considered your actual "dressy" wardrobe and were allowed 3 AE dress shoes, what would they be?

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What if you could choose three? Would you change either of your original 2 options?

I have been hovering on and off the AE website all day and I might actually pick these as they could work for all shades from dark to light of suits/jackets/pants and for all occasions:
  • Park Avenue - Black
  • Strand - Walnut
While I still like oxblood, in a 3 shoe setup I would actually choose walnut. I looked through my closet today and although I have downsized my dressier clothing over the past few years, I still have wool slacks in darker colors such as navy and olive but also have light tan and very light grey on the lighter spectrum. IMHO, lighter colors are more casual and probably need a walnut strand to match them more so than even the Chili.

In practice:
  • Black Park Avenue for Tux, Navy suit, and charcoal suit
  • Dark Chili Fifth Avenue for Navy blazer and darker shade odd jackets with darker shade wool trousers

If you considered your actual "dressy" wardrobe and were allowed 3 AE dress shoes, what would they be?
Chili 5th Ave, Burgundy Cambridge and brown Patriot.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

• Park Avenue - Black
  • Strand - Walnut

In practice:
  • Black Park Avenue for Tux, Navy suit, and charcoal suit
  • Dark Chili Fifth Avenue for Navy blazer and darker shade odd jackets with darker shade wool trousers

You got to get me to at least a 10 shoe rotation to consider walnut.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing (made in 1984) Oakmont saddle shoes today.

IMG_5630.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, walked past Mira Hershey Hall on the way to see a doctor at UCLA Medical Center, thought it looked like a nice place to take a picture, so took a picture.

IMG_5628.jpeg

No food picture today since restaurants in Los Angeles County (except in Pasadena) have been closed since 10:00pm last Wednesday, so here's a picture inside UCLA Medical Center instead. I was the only person (other than staff) who was there.

IMG_5636.jpeg

Oddly enough, was there to see the doctor for a shoe related problem. The doctor was correct about possible side effects of Amlodipine. My feet did swell up, so it's back to Valsartan. On the off chance anyone is wondering, my blood pressure was 148/80 after walking up the stairs (as I always do) to the fourth floor.

Only evidence I saw another patient had been there today was a single brown knit glove on the floor in the empty (except for me) waiting room.

IMG_5637.jpeg

The blue ribbons on some of the chairs keep people socially distant.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You got to get me to at least a 10 shoe rotation to consider walnut.

I think I was/am stuck on the "current" sale shoes (PA, 5A, Strand), which also happen to be some of the more popular dress styles, when I was thinking about this earlier today. As-in, could you outfit with 2 shoes for about $500 or now 3 shoes for about $750 which is still a great deal of money for most Americans (even pre-pandemic). Those parameters do not limit your options too much (except for say shoes that only come in shell).

I like these exercises especially when people explain their choices. If people added information about their work/home dress needs and where they live that would add more context. If we are here to talk about shoes and clothing why not use these types of posts to learn from each other because what I may want/need on the East Coast may be different from what someone else chooses in another part of the US or another country.

I really appreciate the thoughtful responses people share.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm...do I want these or are they too close to the Neumoks?
View attachment 1508491
Silly me. The Tinsel is a brogue not a wingtip, has a flat welt, not a split welt, has textured/pebbled grain, not plain. Pffft - of course I want them.
Really. They are not anything alike!

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh oh, Strand King...

Uh oh. The contrast silver stitching, the silver laces, the flat chocolate welt, the navy grain leather...

Am I going to have to make ANOTHER holiday Strand purchase!?

Hope you're feeling better @ae_ashley! Does the 40% Holiday sale applies to Shoebank seconds too? I've got a big bonus coming in and too many empty storage cases...

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh oh. The contrast silver stitching, the silver laces, the flat chocolate welt, the navy grain leather...

Am I going to have to make ANOTHER holiday Strand purchase!?

Hope you're feeling better @ae_ashley! Does the 40% Holiday sale applies to Shoebank seconds too? I've got a big bonus coming in and too many empty storage cases...
The likely final nail in this for me is the v-tread .... my favorite AE sole

HGerbracht

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Now that I’ve amassed a four shoe collection, thought I’d survey y’all for advice on my next pair. Currently, I have Walnut Lexingtons, Chili Boulevards, Bourbon Fifth Aves (they are pretty dark), and Black Fifth Aves.

I was thinking an oxblood wingtip was the next logical progression? I wear business casual (leaning more towards professional) mostly during the week, with a suit a couple of times a month. Thoughts?

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Now that I’ve amassed a four shoe collection, thought I’d survey y’all for advice on my next pair. Currently, I have Walnut Lexingtons, Chili Boulevards, Bourbon Fifth Aves (they are pretty dark), and Black Fifth Aves.

I was thinking an oxblood wingtip was the next logical progression? I wear business casual (leaning more towards professional) mostly during the week, with a suit a couple of times a month. Thoughts?

First off, welcome! Secondly, upon your mention of, "leaning more towards professional", my immediate thought was burgundy over oxblood but really depends on your overall look and color scheme and what you mean by what I quoted above. I myself own two pair in oxblood, Cavanaugh and MacNeil. The first is almost ruby red like Dorothy's slippers while the second is more toned down, but still, red. I guess I am equating "professional" with conservative but which for you may not be the case?

Last edited:

Rithrin

Reaction score
Uh oh, Strand King...

Oh, almost everyday I check the "new" drop down menu in the top left. Then scroll down to "shoes and boots". You will find their newest offerings by doing that.

I don't know why, but this navy Strand looks much better with the white (silver?) laces than the navy Strandmok. Something about it just works better. Maybe because of the white contrast stitching?

Interesting, I had the same reaction. Tinsel Strand, wow! Tinsel Hamilton, something's off... Perhaps it's that the lacing is not so dense? Thinking of picking one of these up, but something makes me wish they were navy/white spectators. They've released so many new holiday styles, maybe it'll happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads