• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serious question for those of you with shoes in both the 65 and 201 last do you change your size for them? If so which way do you go from your current 65 size?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Serious question for those of you with shoes in both the 65 and 201 last do you change your size for them? If so which way do you go from your current 65 size?
I don't because of toe pinch, but I wish I could for volume (these have way more than 65 and even feel longer as a result despite not being so). Hell, I can't even make them work except in boots, and that's a compromise fit. Some go down a width, some go down a length. Depends on how the 65 fits you.

schweezly

Reaction score

I go from an E (65) down to a D (201). That said, this is assuming you’re talking mainline 65 shoes. If you’re talking something like unlined Strandmok’s it’s a different story (I take a D in those)

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm wearing my jinglebellmoks today in 12E, I've got enough room length wise. However I have a pretty healthy V-gap and find them to be tight across the laces area. (I know I can loosen the laces)

I also have strandmoks in 12.5D and 12.5E though I have a hard time deciphering which pair actually fits better, both pairs are Nubuck. (since we're only talking roughly 1/16" difference in width)

I have a pair of CXL strandmoks in 13D which i get perfect V-gap closure but find them to be super long (though the last is known for extra length it just feels weird to me as compared to athletic shoes)

I wanted to get a McTavish to replace my cement construction JM for something of better quality, but not sure where to go sizing wise as not a lot of options are offered online.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a question with more than one answer. For me, the 65 last fits as a shoe or boot and blucher or oxford in 10.5D. However, this is not the case for the 201, which has such a full instep that my foot cannot fit it properly, and my heel pops out when worn in a shoe version. So here is how I wear each:

65 Oxford shoe: 10.5D
65 Oxford boot: 10.5D
65 Blucher shoe: 10.5D
65 Blucher boot: 10.5D

201 Oxford shoe: Doesn't fit in any size
201 Oxford boot: 10.5D
201 Blucher shoe: Doesn't fit in any size.
201 Blucher boot: 10D

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a question with more than one answer. For me, the 65 last fits as a shoe or boot and blucher or oxford in 10.5D. However, this is not the case for the 201, which has such a full instep that my foot cannot fit it properly, and my heel pops out when worn in a shoe version. So here is how I wear each:

65 Oxford shoe: 10.5D
65 Oxford boot: 10.5D
65 Blucher shoe: 10.5D
65 Blucher boot: 10.5D

201 Oxford shoe: Doesn't fit in any size
201 Oxford boot: 10.5D
201 Blucher shoe: Doesn't fit in any size.
201 Blucher boot: 10D
Thanks, the struggle is real

pedarius

Reaction score
I use Mahogany on my Merlot Jeffersons. I have no shoes where I have used Hermès red exclusively. I usually rotate the red with other colors.
Below are my merlot Randolphs, bought in a clearance sale as a sizing experiment (I had no AE loafers then) and subsequently polished only with Hermes Red in an experimental attempt to differentiate them from my (subsequently acquired) burgundy shell copy of the same shoe. The effect is hard to capture in an indoor photo, but they're basically a ruby red now and that has let them keep a spot in the closet.

IMHO Hermes Red, along with Marine Blue, is pretty indispensable as an accent color mixed with applications of other polishes, even if you don't own any "red" or "blue" shoes.

E3D648E9-A25F-448F-B0D3-C1793AAEB446.jpeg

I wear my brown Aligator belt with any brown shoe.
Me too — from snuff suede chelseas to chocolate mad dog goat cowboy boots to brown shell Patriots. The other advantage of gator is that it has enough visual interest to stand up to interesting shoe leathers like shell or ostrich or whatever without looking too matchy-matchy. The AE alligator belts are awesome and an incredible deal when on sale, like recently.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When not in a suit or a tux... :cool:

In the late spring/summer:
I wear lots of khaki/stone*/british-tan* chinos with navy/light blue/light pink/forest green/white polo shirts.

Other times:
I wear lots of navy/olive/british-tan* chinos with white/blue/blue stripe/pink button down dress shirts.

So, I would probably not have many occasions to wear a white suede Leeds.

I have this image of myself in clothes (very dapper) and then the current reality (boring but classic). When I was younger, 20s and 30s, working in Advertising Corporate IT wearing suits or jacket/tie most days, I was a very smart dresser and often complimented on my suit/shirt/tie/shoe pairings. Since most work environments went (business) casual, I went more boring and classic. For me, I simply can't pair a dress shoe (i.e. PA, 5A, Strand) with chinos because IMHO they should be worn with wool trousers.

* I have no idea why a chino lighter in color than khaki is called stone or why there is a color called british-tan when khaki was worn by the British military but that is a conversation for another day.

White suede shoes are sort of the summer version of the Jingle Bell Mok -- when you wear them, you spread happiness and good cheer to everyone you encounter. People LOVE my white suede Nomads and my white and blue suede Ealdwine Alden saddle shoes. Interestingly, in my experience white suede shoes do NOT look showy, they do NOT look out of place... they are just awesome. You can wear them with khakis or a blazer and wool slacks.

White suede shoes seem very look-at-me, try hard, fussy -- but they aren't, not at all. People LOVE them. And on the foot, with clothes, they look like normal suede shoes, just lighter.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with whatever size best fits you with the unlined 65 balmorals. My Hopkinson fits fairly similar to my Strandmoks in olive. I wear the same size in 65 and 201 shoes and speaking only for myself, I don't feel and see much difference.

@stook1 Were these the ones you were looking at?

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Uh oh, Strand King...

Those need red laces on one shoe and green on the other. The current laces seem out of place.

That's hot. The silver laces are a bit silly, but who cares?!? Is this another Jewish festive (or other, sorry for my ignorance) model? I know there was a previous shoe that was black/blue as I recall as an alternative festive shoe to the red/green.
...I think I'd rather have these than my navy shell Strands...

No offense to anyone but real Jews do not do tinsel.

But in a strange way, I do like the rough blue leather (for those who do celebrate Xmas).

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I would go with whatever size best fits you with the unlined 65 balmorals. My Hopkinson fits fairly similar to my Strandmoks in olive. I wear the same size in 65 and 201 shoes and speaking only for myself, I don't feel and see much difference.

@stook1 Were these the ones you were looking at?

Can I just pretend to not have seen this?

Jimmy R

Reaction score
I hope people are up for another version of "What would you choose and why?"
(I wish there was a way to put a poll in an existing thread)

If you could only have 2 Allen Edmonds dress shoes that needed to cover all of your dress-up wardrobe occasions (tux, suit, sport coat and tie for work, weddings, funerals, etc.) what would they be?

The first shoe is a given: black Park Avenue

What is your second shoe, in what color, and why that one?:
  • Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand
  • Cigar, Coffee, Dark Chili, Mahogany, Oxblood, Walnut

Personally, I am very torn. Limited to 2 shoes Walnut is out immediately because it is the least versatile color IMHO. I really like Oxblood but think it may be more limited than Chili or Mahogany or even Coffee so its a pass as well. I like the Strand but it is too casual if I can only have 2 dress shoes. Maybe a Fifth Avenue when I am only wearing a sport coat (or when I am not wearing a navy or gray suit). My choices would be:

Safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Park Avenue - coffee
Not as safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Fifth Avenue - dark chili
Fun choice
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Strand - Cigar

Hmmm, I never wear a tuxedo, and the only time I ever wear a suit is for weddings or funerals, and a navy suit can work for either of those, so I would avoid the black Park Ave, although I have owned a couple.

Honestly, I would choose my dark oxblood Fifth Aves, but I feel like I could get away with my brown Williamsburgs

My second shoe would be a boot, and it would be either Williamsburgs or Hamiltons. I'm really enjoying both at the moment.

For the record, I think a nice dark oxblood is the most versatile shoe color you can own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads