• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I also would skip black if I only had two shoes. A dark brown Strand and a burgundy (darkest option available) PA. Why not a dark brown PA? Well, I don’t like the idea of the oxblood Strand much and don’t want two dark brown shoes.

As a funny happenstance, I have an oxblood PA and a dark brown shell Strand already...

100% agree with this... I am personally a fan of the merlot PA to be very specific about it. I regret selling my pair years and years ago. Good color for the PA, albeit NLA if I am not mistaken. Can't go wrong with a workhorse brown shell strand.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I’d be tempted to skip black altogether (I have absolutely worn navy wholecuts with a tux), but a black PA is not my style.
1. Black Rutledge
2. Strand in burgundy shell (burg / chili goes with everything)

Why not a midnight blue Rutledge?

P1100196.JPG

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
100% agree with this... I am personally a fan of the merlot PA to be very specific about it. I regret selling my pair years and years ago. Good color for the PA, albeit NLA if I am not mistaken. Can't go wrong with a workhorse brown shell strand.
I fully endorse Merlot. Mine were oxblood, which looked nice, but were a bit lighter and had a pinkish hue. They would still be that color if not for spiral pipe's ability to damage leather. I stripped, repaired, and redyed with Angelus burgundy dye. Which is a much bolder darker red-wine color. (They have been posted in the past)

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can wear no less than 5 different 65 last sizes (some better than others, naturally). It's a very funky last for me since I have a high instep and something like a D or E width. It's like the impossible catch-22 between vgap, heel fit, and toe cap creasing, lol. But anyway if you are telling me that the 73 runs a little shorter than the 65 than I think the pair I found will probably work and they are in one of my 65 last sizes, albeit one that I avoid in the strand since I'll crease through the cap, which annoys me.

thanks again for the input.

Welcome. You're right -- I can wear the 65 in 4 sizes. No other last lets me do that. But I still stick to my usual size in the 65 when possible.

I hope people are up for another version of "What would you choose and why?"
(I wish there was a way to put a poll in an existing thread)

If you could only have 2 Allen Edmonds dress shoes that needed to cover all of your dress-up wardrobe occasions (tux, suit, sport coat and tie for work, weddings, funerals, etc.) what would they be?

The first shoe is a given: black Park Avenue

What is your second shoe, in what color, and why that one?:
  • Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand
  • Cigar, Coffee, Dark Chili, Mahogany, Oxblood, Walnut

Personally, I am very torn. Limited to 2 shoes Walnut is out immediately because it is the least versatile color IMHO. I really like Oxblood but think it may be more limited than Chili or Mahogany or even Coffee so its a pass as well. I like the Strand but it is too casual if I can only have 2 dress shoes. Maybe a Fifth Avenue when I am only wearing a sport coat (or when I am not wearing a navy or gray suit). My choices would be:

Safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Park Avenue - coffee
Not as safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Fifth Avenue - dark chili
Fun choice
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Strand - Cigar

Since I tend to wear grey when I dress up, I can safely choose these two:

-olive Strand
-olive Strandmok

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome. You're right -- I can wear the 65 in 4 sizes. No other last lets me do that. But I still stick to my usual size in the 65 when possible.

Since I tend to wear grey when I dress up, I can safely choose these two:

-olive Strand
-olive Strandmok
I mean, you're not wrong in the slightest! And, I'm fully on board with this! I might swap your olive Strandmok for a loden suede Strand, but I'd regret not having that CXL even if I did have my jam (suede)...the olive Rush St is an option if you want two flat welts. :p

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Apropos of nothing, I am still waiting on AE to make these as "stock" shoes:
  • Leeds in dark brown CXL on commando sole
  • Leeds in Snuff suede on dainite sole
  • Leeds in Dark Chili calfskin on leather sole (because I do not like the current Cigar)
@ae_ashley can you help me out with this one?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I fully endorse Merlot. Mine were oxblood, which looked nice, but were a bit lighter and had a pinkish hue. They would still be that color if not for spiral pipe's ability to damage leather. I stripped, repaired, and redyed with Angelus burgundy dye. Which is a much bolder darker red-wine color. (They have been posted in the past)

There is a lot of variation in oxblood for whatever reason. I kind of see it like the bourbon of burgundy. Merlot is an awesome color though. It has great depth and is just right for making the PA into a non-funeral shoe. Just enough spice for a more formal event, while still not standing out excessively.

schweezly

Reaction score
Williamsburg came in. The Walnut carries a different overall vibe/feel than the Coffee ones I tried on in store. I think these will be best once beat up some. They’re too clean right now!

In other news, Amazon supposedly getting 2nd’s strikes again. Don’t know what it’s called, LOL, but basically the little holes where the flap connects on one seems like they were off and redone. It’s very slight. I didn’t even notice until looking close. Concerning?

these were less than 1/2 price so if it doesn’t affect the structure I plan to keep them

4EAF5118-B0EC-4310-A5A1-20DE908C4D2B.jpeg
B22A7DB0-3A00-4835-9E66-CB00F8C1E5E8.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uh oh, Strand King...

That's hot. The silver laces are a bit silly, but who cares?!? Is this another Jewish festive (or other, sorry for my ignorance) model? I know there was a previous shoe that was black/blue as I recall as an alternative festive shoe to the red/green.
...I think I'd rather have these than my navy shell Strands...

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
That's hot. The silver laces are a bit silly, but who cares?!? Is this another Jewish festive (or other, sorry for my ignorance) model? I know there was a previous shoe that was black/blue as I recall as an alternative festive shoe to the red/green.

maybe? glad i'm not the only one who couldn't be sure of the theme. The model name is a bit odd for a hanukkah shoe though. They should rename it the macabee or something.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But is this full grain leather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads