• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d be tempted to skip black altogether (I have absolutely worn navy wholecuts with a tux), but a black PA is not my style.
1. Black Rutledge
2. Strand in burgundy shell (burg / chili goes with everything)
I also would skip black if I only had two shoes. A dark brown Strand and a burgundy (darkest option available) PA. Why not a dark brown PA? Well, I don’t like the idea of the oxblood Strand much and don’t want two dark brown shoes.

As a funny happenstance, I have an oxblood PA and a dark brown shell Strand already...

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
F2 White suede Leeds: Yes or No?
I love the idea of it but in the Northeast I would have a very limited window of opportunity to wear it.

View attachment 1508104
Great summer shoe, but if you don’t wear much bright summer oranges/blues/reds as linen/seersucker/etc then don’t buy something you won’t wear. I have a Nomad, but would prefer the Leeds for sole and fit.

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
I hope people are up for another version of "What would you choose and why?"
(I wish there was a way to put a poll in an existing thread)

If you could only have 2 Allen Edmonds dress shoes that needed to cover all of your dress-up wardrobe occasions (tux, suit, sport coat and tie for work, weddings, funerals, etc.) what would they be?

The first shoe is a given: black Park Avenue

What is your second shoe, in what color, and why that one?:
  • Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand
  • Cigar, Coffee, Dark Chili, Mahogany, Oxblood, Walnut

Personally, I am very torn. Limited to 2 shoes Walnut is out immediately because it is the least versatile color IMHO. I really like Oxblood but think it may be more limited than Chili or Mahogany or even Coffee so its a pass as well. I like the Strand but it is too casual if I can only have 2 dress shoes. Maybe a Fifth Avenue when I am only wearing a sport coat (or when I am not wearing a navy or gray suit). My choices would be:

Safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Park Avenue - coffee
Not as safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Fifth Avenue - dark chili
Fun choice
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Strand - Cigar

Oxblood Strands for me. i don't find burgundy limiting. Fifth Avenue is a substitute for Parks imo.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Great summer shoe, but if you don’t wear much bright summer oranges/blues/reds as linen/seersucker/etc then don’t buy something you won’t wear. I have a Nomad, but would prefer the Leeds for sole and fit.

When not in a suit or a tux... :cool:

In the late spring/summer:
I wear lots of khaki/stone*/british-tan* chinos with navy/light blue/light pink/forest green/white polo shirts.

Other times:
I wear lots of navy/olive/british-tan* chinos with white/blue/blue stripe/pink button down dress shirts.

So, I would probably not have many occasions to wear a white suede Leeds.

I have this image of myself in clothes (very dapper) and then the current reality (boring but classic). When I was younger, 20s and 30s, working in Advertising Corporate IT wearing suits or jacket/tie most days, I was a very smart dresser and often complimented on my suit/shirt/tie/shoe pairings. Since most work environments went (business) casual, I went more boring and classic. For me, I simply can't pair a dress shoe (i.e. PA, 5A, Strand) with chinos because IMHO they should be worn with wool trousers.

* I have no idea why a chino lighter in color than khaki is called stone or why there is a color called british-tan when khaki was worn by the British military but that is a conversation for another day.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When not in a suit or a tux... :cool:

In the late spring/summer:
I wear lots of khaki/stone*/british-tan* chinos with navy/light blue/light pink/forest green/white polo shirts.

Other times:
I wear lots of navy/olive/british-tan* chinos with white/blue/blue stripe/pink button down dress shirts.

So, I would probably not have many occasions to wear a white suede Leeds.

I have this image of myself in clothes (very dapper) and then the current reality (boring but classic). When I was younger, 20s and 30s, working in Advertising Corporate IT wearing suits or jacket/tie most days, I was a very smart dresser and often complimented on my suit/shirt/tie/shoe pairings. Since most work environments went business casual, I went more boring and classic. For me, I simply can't pair a dress shoe (i.e. PA. 5A, Strand) with chinos because IMHO they should be worn with wool trousers.

* I have no idea why a chino lighter in color than khaki is called stone or why there is a color called british-tan when khaki was worn by the British military but that is a conversation for another day.
Yeah, unless you’re looking for a conversation piece, I don’t think there’s a huge use in your life for them then. The tans could be used with them, but honestly I think they’re better suited to summer colors. The tan for me is better suited to mid-light browns, greens, blues than stark white suede.
if you did, definitely going with an equally bright top would at least pull them into the outfit.

definitely a sub $100 buy only in your case I think.

milktoast

Reaction score
I highly recommend you call your favorite SA at an AE outlet store and see what they have. If you don’t have a favorite SA, (shame on you ;)) then reach out to RJ or Jason in South Charleston or Karina in Paramus. They often have stellar deals on belts. I even think South Charleston has a stash of sub $100 belts.

Happy hunting!
I'll surely have to get acquainted as, again, I'm fairly new to AE and formalwear generally. Good to hear that some folks at the outlet stores may be able to assist. Cheers.

Wonderful price, though I'm sure the product won't be without fault. ;) Will continue hunting for something that may be a "tier" about this.
Appreciate the assistance.

PANJ

Reaction score
I hope people are up for another version of "What would you choose and why?"
(I wish there was a way to put a poll in an existing thread)

If you could only have 2 Allen Edmonds dress shoes that needed to cover all of your dress-up wardrobe occasions (tux, suit, sport coat and tie for work, weddings, funerals, etc.) what would they be?

The first shoe is a given: black Park Avenue

What is your second shoe, in what color, and why that one?:
  • Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand
  • Cigar, Coffee, Dark Chili, Mahogany, Oxblood, Walnut

Personally, I am very torn. Limited to 2 shoes Walnut is out immediately because it is the least versatile color IMHO. I really like Oxblood but think it may be more limited than Chili or Mahogany or even Coffee so its a pass as well. I like the Strand but it is too casual if I can only have 2 dress shoes. Maybe a Fifth Avenue when I am only wearing a sport coat (or when I am not wearing a navy or gray suit). My choices would be:

Safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Park Avenue - coffee
Not as safe choice:
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Fifth Avenue - dark chili
Fun choice
  • Park Avenue - black
  • Strand - Cigar
Merlot McCallister

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, unless you’re looking for a conversation piece, I don’t think there’s a huge use in your life for them then. The tans could be used with them, but honestly I think they’re better suited to summer colors. The tan for me is better suited to mid-light browns, greens, blues than stark white suede.
if you did, definitely going with an equally bright top would at least pull them into the outfit.

definitely a sub $100 buy only in your case I think.

If I was younger/hipper, I would wear white suede Leeds with shorts and no-show socks in the summer. Although, my wife keeps reminding me that as a cyclist, I have fantastic legs, so there's that to be happy about.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More moleskin; these from S&M and paired with Surrey Chukkas:

20201201_surreys.jpg

milktoast

Reaction score
If I was younger/hipper, I would wear white suede Leeds with shorts and no-show socks in the summer. Although, my wife keeps reminding me that as a cyclist, I have fantastic legs, so there's that to be happy about.
Youth is in the mind, mate! Hop on an e-bike and you'll feel a few years younger.

milktoast

Reaction score
Don't need one of those yet.
I can still easily bang out 60-80 miles on a Saturday (or Sunday) ride with my Seven Cycles Axiom SL.
Oh no, I didn't imply it as a need at all. Just a fun experience. I've only recently started cycling around the City again and found them to be a nice way to get around. However, I must say that I still prefer a non-electric bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads