• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nice! I've watched Kirby Allison's videos, but he recommends like four different ones. Do you have any photos using either of those?
I think he actually only recommends three for "Dark Chili" depending on what you want:
  • Cognac - to keep near original color
  • Mahogany - to go more red
  • Dark brown - to go more brown
And if you listen to his others videos, he says the same thing most people say which is there is no such thing as a perfect match so decide what you want and use it:

Just wish their products were easier to get.
Really?

I have had no problem ordering/purchasing from any of these:
  • Kirby Allison (formerly Hanger Project)
  • Potter and Sons (aka Trenton & Heath)
  • Cobblers Plus (aka Allen Trushkov)
Not tried them:
  • Elegant Oxford (aka Preston Soto)

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice! I've watched Kirby Allison's videos, but he recommends like four different ones. Do you have any photos using either of those?
I use Mahogany on my Merlot Jeffersons. I have no shoes where I have used Hermès red exclusively. I usually rotate the red with other colors.
50683CF9-45CF-487C-9D1F-F86516AF012F.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think he actually only recommends two depending on whether you want the shoe to be more red or brown:

Really?

I have had no problem ordering/purchasing from any of these :
  • Cobblers Plus
Not tried them:
  • Elegant Oxford

I either don’t see the colors that I want or just a lot of sold out banners.

Jimmy R

Reaction score
I think he actually only recommends two depending on whether you want the shoe to be more red or brown:

Really?

I have had no problem ordering/purchasing from any of these :
  • Cobblers Plus
Not tried them:
  • Elegant Oxford

Yeah, he mentions Cognac, Dark Brown, and Mahogany in that one. But in this one, he says Tobacco and Medium Brown around the 12 minute mark:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, he mentions Cognac, Dark Brown, and Mahogany in that one. But in this one, he says Tobacco and Medium Brown around the 12 minute mark:

And I thought cognac was only good for Bourbon and Coffee.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My wife has solved the entire color problem with the color #8 Cordovan creme. She puts that **** on everything. Here is the proof.
E54185F5-723F-44B0-AF8E-8E6B153A00C7.jpeg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The one you linked is from 2017 and he is totally wrong (see pics below).

The one I linked is from 2019 so I assume he realized that his choices needed an update.

Medium Brown between my AE Wilberts and Alden Captoes. I use Cognac on my Wilberts to bring out more red and Tobacco on my Alden's because they are Walnut Brown which means medium brown is too light and dark brown is too dark but both of them are very brown and not a good choice for Chili and its red undertones.
wilbert-IMG_2100.JPG

Now compared to AE colors. To keep close to original:
  • Medium Brown for Coffee
  • Cognac for Dark Chili
  • Mahogany for Mahogany
Although if I wanted to go more red I would switch off each polish between mahogany and cognac and if I wanted to go more brown I would switch off between mahogany and medium brown.

Again, rarely a perfect color match so choose one, two, or three and make it whatever you want.
Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue colors.jpg

Last edited:

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heremes Red or Mahogany are the closest. Just wish their products were easier to get.
These guys have it at the same price as Kirby (with free shipping over $60):

milktoast

Reaction score
Hi folks -- looking to buy a belt for my AE Dark Chili Fifth Avenue shoes, however, I'm not sure that I'm ready to shell out $95+ for the Manistee belt. Any recommendations on some good matches < $100?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi folks -- looking to buy a belt for my AE Dark Chili Fifth Avenue shoes, however, I'm not sure that I'm ready to shell out $95+ for the Manistee belt. Any recommendations on some good matches < $100?
Any brown belt. They’re a good three feet away and perfect matching isn’t crucial.
Also, as always, you can just match your welt color if you don’t have a good match for your upper. Also consider wearing darker belts with darker pants.

I maintain you can easily get away with 2-4 belts max, depending on your collection.
-Black if you have black shoes.
-Brown is good for anything with brown welts and... well... anything but black (even burgundy). Even if you’re wearing a lighter color shoe, if you’re wearing darker pants this is a better color if you don’t want your belt to pull focus.
-Tan if you wear a lot of lighter upper and welt colors with lighter colored pants.
-Burgundy if you don’t think you can wear brown with burgundy/chili uppers

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any brown belt. They’re a good three feet away and perfect matching isn’t crucial.
Also, as always, you can just match your welt color if you don’t have a good match for your upper. Also consider wearing darker belts with darker pants.

I maintain you can easily get away with 2-4 belts max, depending on your collection.
-Brown is good for anything with brown welts and... well... anything but black (even burgundy). Even if you’re wearing a lighter color shoe, if you’re wearing darker pants this is a better color if you don’t want your belt to pull focus.
-Tan if you wear a lot of lighter upper and welt colors with lighter colored pants.
I wear my brown Aligator belt with any brown shoe.

milktoast

Reaction score

Noted and appreciate the wisdom. I recognize that a perfect match isn't necessary; however, my only other belts are a lighter brown (to wear with my walnut strands) and black.
Are there particular brands that may be worth looking into? I'm coming from the quick buy at Macy's world and transitioning to a more refined wardrobe, so the space is still fairly new to me.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noted and appreciate the wisdom. I recognize that a perfect match isn't necessary; however, my only other belts are a lighter brown (to wear with my walnut strands) and black.
Are there particular brands that may be worth looking into? I'm coming from the quick buy at Macy's world and transitioning to a more refined wardrobe, so the space is still fairly new to me.
I highly recommend you call your favorite SA at an AE outlet store and see what they have. If you don’t have a favorite SA, (shame on you ;)) then reach out to RJ or Jason in South Charleston or Karina in Paramus. They often have stellar deals on belts. I even think South Charleston has a stash of sub $100 belts.

Happy hunting!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
These guys have it at the same price as Kirby (with free shipping over $60):

I heave learned a great deal from Kirby, Trenton & Heath, and Allen from Cobblers Plus so that is where I go when I need something. It's not like Jeff Bezos is making videos about shoe care and posting them on the Amazon website product pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics