• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptfly

Reaction score
Hi all! I wasn't originally planning on mentioning anything, but I've gotten a few messages that I had had to let lapse a little longer than you're probably used to, so I wanted to let you guys know I was recently tested positive for Covid. I've been quarantining at home, and I still have access to email but I'm probably going to be out of office for a bit. If you have questions about the trunk show, feel free to email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible, but actual inquiries regarding status of your orders should probably go through a store for now. Feel free to call my store if you didn't work with one.
Rest and take care of yourself. Stinking covid :(

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I wasn't originally planning on mentioning anything, but I've gotten a few messages that I had had to let lapse a little longer than you're probably used to, so I wanted to let you guys know I was recently tested positive for Covid. I've been quarantining at home, and I still have access to email but I'm probably going to be out of office for a bit. If you have questions about the trunk show, feel free to email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible, but actual inquiries regarding status of your orders should probably go through a store for now. Feel free to call my store if you didn't work with one.
Hoping for a speedy recovery and very mild symptoms!

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get well soon!

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
85C741A5-98C3-4D07-82A1-D58530717A0F.jpeg

Best wishes for a speedy recovery (and no transmission). Hope you aren’t suffering too badly and get back to normal soon!

gorebug

Reaction score
So what should a (crazy) guy do when...

1) he thrifts a pretty beat up pair of Fifth Avenues;
2) After soaking and straightening realizes they are going to need a new sole;
3) are a half-size bigger than usual... but fit pretty good with a pair of winter wool socks; and,
4) Lives in a region that deals with snow 5 months of the year

I present what I'm christening the AE 'McLeod Trail'
IMG_5692.jpeg

1CG_1314.jpeg

1CG_1315.jpeg

1CG_1317.jpeg

When your shoe count is over 30 pairs i guess you have to shake things up a bit

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) he thrifts a pretty beat up pair of park avenues
2) After soaking and straightening realizes they are going to need a new sole
3) are a half-size bigger than usual... but fit alright with a pair of winter wool socks

Still better than the Tate.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) he thrifts a pretty beat up pair of park avenues
2) After soaking and straightening realizes they are going to need a new sole
3) are a half-size bigger than usual... but fit alright with a pair of winter wool socks

Very interesting interpretation, but aren't those Fifth Avenues?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Excuse the interruption for a longshot non-shoe question but I am trying to contact a forum member, @Buster Brown , about a pair of AE shoes he has listed. Given that he has a ton of AE's listed, I assume he is a somewhat regular on this forum. As such (and this is the longshot), I was hoping if anyone has a way outside of the IM/Chat to reach him, that you would let him know to check his IM from me about a pair of shoes he is selling. Doesn't look like he's been around for a few weeks so I figured I'd give this route a shot.

Thanks.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What do the SF-AE think about this build (not mine). I would have probably chosen a black sole but I give credit to the person for going all out on their vision (built by Allen at Cobblers Plus).
- Is it still a dress shoe?
- Is it as good (or as bad) as the new AE dress sneakers?

It seems to really fit into our "new normal" of WFH or much more casual lifestyle. I am tempted to do one in brown/coffee/chili with the Cristy 4104 natural sole (or a similar Vibram wedge sole in Brown). Thoughts?

IMG_0863_1024x1024@2x.jpg

1) he thrifts a pretty beat up pair of Fifth Avenues;
2) After soaking and straightening realizes they are going to need a new sole;
3) are a half-size bigger than usual... but fit pretty good with a pair of winter wool socks; and,

View attachment 1506818
View attachment 1506746
View attachment 1506749
View attachment 1506750

I think it is fantastic. I might have chosen black soles for more versatility but otherwise, AWESOME!!!!

I quoted my own post from a few pages ago about a similar build (not my shoes) from a cobbler I trust and use who is not local to me. In our new world of work from home and very casual offices, for those who can go back to offices, I like when people take a stock shoe and customize it especially if they regularly wear it.

gorebug

Reaction score
I think it is fantastic. I might have chosen black soles for more versatility but otherwise, AWESOME!!!!

I quoted my own post from a few pages ago about a similar build (not my shoes) from a cobbler I trust and use who is not local to me. In our new world of work from home and very casual offices, for those who can go back to offices, I like when people take a stock shoe and customize it especially if they regularly wear it.

I've not worn a suit in years and already had a pair of black cap-toes (AE Byron - lol my first AE buy 15 years ago) so figured why not have some fun. I find solid black visually too 'heavy' to wear casually with denim, but breaking them up a bit with a coloured lace has served me well. Figured why not take the next step with these ones. I imagine I'll get more compliments on this pair than any pair in my collection even if true gentlemen may shudder at what I've done ;-).

Also nice is that the re-sole with Vibrams cost me less than US$100 and now i have a useful shoe that will do more than collect dust in the closet.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Excuse the interruption for a longshot non-shoe question but I am trying to contact a forum member, @Buster Brown , about a pair of AE shoes he has listed. Given that he has a ton of AE's listed, I assume he is a somewhat regular on this forum. As such (and this is the longshot), I was hoping if anyone has a way outside of the IM/Chat to reach him, that you would let him know to check his IM from me about a pair of shoes he is selling. Doesn't look like he's been around for a few weeks so I figured I'd give this route a shot.

Thanks.
Same person as @BagleyBrown IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads