• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrandes

Reaction score
You mention the leather is a kind of nubuck. Would you just spray them with a water protector as you might for suede? Would you polish them? I think the care instructions on the AE website recommend polishing them. Did you keep them? Thanks

I guess the Kitsap burnished toes are smooth enough to take polish, but the rest of the shoe is more of a fuzzy nubuck-like texture, for which I would definitely not recommend polish. A suede protector spray would be better suited.

Believe it or not, I still haven't decided whether to keep them—in fact I haven't even laced them up. I am definitely aware of their stylistic limitations per comments above. The reason I'm considering keeping is that although I have a fair number of AE casual shoes, I don't have a true beater on which scrapes, spills or other mishaps wouldn't bother me. With these I'd be fine, and the $125 isn't too big a hit.

I also have another pair of AEs on the way, and if those work out it will likely tip the scales against.

PANJ

Reaction score
I guess the Kitsap burnished toes are smooth enough to take polish, but the rest of the shoe is more of a fuzzy nubuck-like texture, for which I would definitely not recommend polish. A suede protector spray would be better suited.

Believe it or not, I still haven't decided whether to keep them—in fact I haven't even laced them up. I am definitely aware of their stylistic limitations per comments above. The reason I'm considering keeping is that although I have a fair number of AE casual shoes, I don't have a true beater on which scrapes, spills or other mishaps wouldn't bother me. With these I'd be fine, and the $125 isn't too big a hit.

I also have another pair of AEs on the way, and if those work out it will likely tip the scales against.
Many thanks. I would like a nubuck shoe and I am thinking of this vs. upgrading to the Strandmok (for twice the price). I do find the weirdness of the Kitsap kind of appealing.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not trying to poke the bee hive, but I've never been a big fan of the U-tip. I own the Rothsay boots that have it, but not really my cup of tea. It looks unfinished to me, but that's just my point of view. Give me split toe or plain toe.

Just for fun, I compared the new natural vs. the old natural. You will get an idea of how much darker the new one is. I now know that going up 1/2 size in the Higgins is my best size. These fit really well. I may just sell off my old brown pair because they've always felt a little too snug in the ankles and leg area.

View attachment 1506430
View attachment 1506431
I like the color of the "old" pair, what size are you?

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to poke the bee hive, but I've never been a big fan of the U-tip. I own the Rothsay boots that have it, but not really my cup of tea. It looks unfinished to me, but that's just my point of view. Give me split toe or plain toe.

Just for fun, I compared the new natural vs. the old natural. You will get an idea of how much darker the new one is. I now know that going up 1/2 size in the Higgins is my best size. These fit really well. I may just sell off my old brown pair because they've always felt a little too snug in the ankles and leg area.

View attachment 1506430
View attachment 1506431
They’re called “u” tips and not “me” tips for a reason...

pbrandes

Reaction score
Landon two-tone boot in chili/brown - has anyone tried it or seen it IRL? Hard to tell from the official photos if it's cool or tacky... opinions welcome!

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the Porter or "new" Park Avenue but a pair of FootJoys, which I've had for years but don't often wear. Today seemed the right day, however. Just a little practice on the driving range... ⛳

Attachments

• 20201128_180501.jpg
    20201128_180501.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201128_164944_HDR.jpg
    20201128_164944_HDR.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201128_163205_HDR.jpg
    20201128_163205_HDR.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 24

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They’re called “u” tips and not “me” tips for a reason...
And everyone knows how to tell an extroverted iT guy, from an introverted IT guy, right? The extrovert looks at YOUR shoes when he is talking to you, introvert looks at HIS shoes when talking to you.... (I can get away with this joke as I spent a career in IT related things)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got a pair a couple of weeks ago and I like them so far. Leather is soft and supple. I wore them for 3 straight days for Thanksgiving travel. Very comfortable.
And I thought they were just MEH......nothing to write home about, ok boots, ok leather, but not as well done NST as a couple of other companies, although significantly less expensive. I wear mine to mow the lawn type of thing.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Landon two-tone boot in chili/brown - has anyone tried it or seen it IRL? Hard to tell from the official photos if it's cool or tacky... opinions welcome!
Even though I despise walnut, I like the Walnut/brown better. The caps on the Chili/brown are kinda pebble grain and some are kinda not. Just a weird pattern. Now, in Shell! Forgetaboutit

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I thought they were just MEH......nothing to write home about, ok boots, ok leather, but not as well done NST as a couple of other companies, although significantly less expensive. I wear mine to mow the lawn type of thing.
The heel on my left boot is off a little and makes it feel a little weird. The right boot fits like a glove. All weekend I was walking around thinking man if the left boot would fit like the right one I'd be in boot heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads