• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another day, another Wilbert question: Would it be less offensive to people if it had a leather, or even a dainite, sole? Is it the Othello sole people find unappealing? The less expensive leather? It is an NST shoe at heart.

View attachment 1506316
For me is the fact that is an apron split toe. I think being an NST would be better, but even that isn’t my style (I prefer u-tips). Adding the padded throat and overly contrast stitched blucher eyelet tabs make it just look like a glue job from JC P. Getting rid of the contrast stitch would actually probably help in my eyes.

but, wear what you like regardless of what others think.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For me is the fact that is an apron split toe. I think being an NST would be better, but even that isn’t my style (I prefer u-tips). Adding the padded throat and overly contrast stitched blucher eyelet tabs make it just look like a glue job from JC P. Getting rid of the contrast stitch would actually probably help in my eyes.

I've had the lighter brown pair for about 2 years. I use Saphir's Cognac and never worry about the stitching so it is much less of a contrast now. They are due for new soles (Othello wears fast) so I thought as long as I am changing it, should it go to AE for another Othello (super comfortable) or to a cobbler for leather or dainite. I also changed to round waxed laces which I think helps the overall look. And I do really like the lighter brown.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had the lighter brown pair for about 2 years. I use Saphir's Cognac and never worry about the stitching so it is much less of a contrast now. They are due for new soles (Othello wears fast) so I thought as long as I am changing it, should it go to AE for another Othello (super comfortable) or to a cobbler for leather or dainite. I also changed to round waxed laces which I think helps the overall look. And I do really like the lighter brown.
Definitely helps reduce the impact of the patchwork design.

getting rid of the othello sole will change them from a comfort walker to just another shoe. So I guess you need to decide if the style or feel is the main draw for you!

PANJ

Reaction score
During this 30% off sale, my inner weasel compelled me to try the Ketchup derby (come on, AE must have known that was coming when they named it Kitsap). At only $125, why not? Since it is an obscure Nordy model I'm posting some photos of the unboxing.

Based on the label, not seconds but first quality on clearance:

View attachment 1504812

They came with two——count 'em TWO——shoe bags! One more than each of my TS custom suede and shell models.

View attachment 1504813

The finish is soft nubuck though burnishing gives the toes a smoother/shinier feel and adds some character. However, there's also some weird burnishing in random spots, including along part of the left toe cap broguing, and a black dot on the right toe that's more annoying in close up than from normal wearing height. Another odd choice is the single exposed brass eyelet - if I keep them I'll be putting those on all the eyelets.

View attachment 1504814

The single brass eyelet and hybrid rubber/leather sole construction puts this squarely in the Bainbridge family (any comments from Bainbridge owners on fit, durability etc. are welcome!):

View attachment 1504822

I wouldn't exactly call it a precision reverse welt:

View attachment 1504826

Though the specs say its on the 222 last, I can easily get my feet in and out of them, which I've never experienced on that last, maybe it's the open lacing? Footbed seems wider as well.

In any case, I'm on the fence about keeping. For $125, seems like a decent casual knockabout/beater. Any thoughts or opinions?
You mention the leather is a kind of nubuck. Would you just spray them with a water protector as you might for suede? Would you polish them? I think the care instructions on the AE website recommend polishing them. Did you keep them? Thanks

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So glad you added that last sentence Mr. hoity toity. I do have a wife and granddaughter that can’t wait to polish up some unsuspecting fellows shoes. I am not afraid to unleash them.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love mine and they have a place in my rotation. But go Commando!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the Wilbert got rid of that padded collar, it would be more like the Lasalle and appeal to more people. I own both the Lasalle and Wilbert, and both are among the most comfortable pairs in my collection. Yeah, they are fuddy duddy, but everyone should own at least one fuddy duddy shoe.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the Wilbert got rid of that padded collar, it would be more like the Lasalle and appeal to more people. I own both the Lasalle and Wilbert, and both are among the most comfortable pairs in my collection. Yeah, they are fuddy duddy, but everyone shown own at least one fuddy duddy shoe.
I really like the way the Lasalle handles the back half of the shoe. In fact, it looks great. I just wish I could get behind the sewn apron look. If they went full (plain toe) blucher on it, ditching the apron and split toe, and went instead with a MACHINE stitch u-tip (like a stock Alden Indy) I would really be hard pressed not to own a pair. Assuming they moved it away from the 108 of course.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, 2020 has been, at best, a hemorrhoid of a year. If 2020 were a candy it would be sugar free gummy bears that cause anal leakage. So my mind drifted back to happier times and I wondered, "What was I wearing exactly one year ago today?" Or even two years ago today? Three years ago?

11/28/19, 6 eyelet shell chukkas from Alden.

IMG_7453 2.jpg

11/28/18, Natty shell Macneils.

IMG_3997 2.jpg

11/28/17, Vintage Florsheim 93602

IMG_2448.jpg

So, what were you wearing?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the way the Lasalle handles the back half of the shoe. In fact, it looks great. I just wish I could get behind the sewn apron look. If they went full (plain toe) blucher on it, ditching the apron and split toe, and went instead with a MACHINE stitch u-tip (like a stock Alden Indy) I would really be hard pressed not to own a pair. Assuming they moved it away from the 108 of course.

I'm not trying to poke the bee hive, but I've never been a big fan of the U-tip. I own the Rothsay boots that have it, but not really my cup of tea. It looks unfinished to me, but that's just my point of view. Give me split toe or plain toe.

Just for fun, I compared the new natural vs. the old natural. You will get an idea of how much darker the new one is. I now know that going up 1/2 size in the Higgins is my best size. These fit really well. I may just sell off my old brown pair because they've always felt a little too snug in the ankles and leg area.

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not trying to poke the bee hive, but I've never been a big fan of the U-tip. I own the Rothsay boots that have it, but not really my cup of tea. It looks unfinished to me, but that's just my point of view. Give me split toe or plain toe.

Just for fun, I compared the new natural vs. the old natural. You will get an idea of how much darker the new one is. I now know that going up 1/2 size in the Higgins is my best size. These fit really well. I may just sell off my old brown pair because they've always felt a little too snug in the ankles and leg area.

View attachment 1506430
View attachment 1506431
Your point of view is wrong and different from mine, therefore invalid!!!

interesting comment about the HM sizing I would have figured you have more issue with toe box on HM since self proclaimed narrow heel, wide at ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads