• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since @madhat mentioned Shark Week, a picture I never posted here before because I wasn't wearing A-E shoes, a shark fin cupcake and me during Shark Week 2015.

View attachment 1505565

This was in my pre white suede Nomad days and I was wearing Bass white bucks.

View attachment 1505568

On the off chance anyone recognizes this place, yes, it's Stella McCartney's greenhouse. I miss my old life.

No, those aren't light blue trousers, they are Lands' End blue and white seersucker trousers with narrow stripes.
Great ensemble! Pink and red are your colors, I dare say.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do yours have Dainite soles, too?
Yes, sir. They were my second AE pair and first with dainite. I now have a Leeds with Dainite as well. The latter initially "bothered" me with a feeling of "pegs" beneath my soles but disappeared after only a few wears. Both the Surrey and Leeds are so solid feeling in construction, it really is an uplifting feeling whenever I put a pair on. As far as sizing goes, I had to go down 1/2 size on the Surrey which is still roomy, and the Leeds is a comfortably snug (with thin socks) TTS.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, sir. They were my second AE pair and first with dainite. I now have a Leeds with Dainite as well. The latter initially "bothered" me with a feeling of "pegs" beneath my soles but disappeared after only a few wears. Both the Surrey and Leeds are so solid feeling in construction, it really is an uplifting feeling whenever I put a pair on. As far as sizing goes, I had to go down 1/2 size on the Surrey which is still roomy, and the Leeds is a comfortably snug (with thin socks) TTS.
These are a TTS for me minus a letter width (I'm a Brannock 9.5E and these are 9.5D), and they fit quite well - no extra room, but they're not tight, either - no surprise there, as my other Surreys (and my Higgies, too) are D width and are plenty wide.

I was a little surprised by the Dainite sole, as my other Surreys (Chukka and Captoe Boot) both have the Itshide Commando soles, and I assumed these would, too (although, when I got them, I went back and looked at the auction pics, and the Dainite soles were clearly shown in at least one pic, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, LOL).

BTW, it was your pair that made me add these to my watch list on the popular auction site: every time you posted yours, I thought "Man, I gotta get a pair of those!", but I waited too long to get a pair from AE before they were discontinued. So when they turned up in my size on the bay, I had to grab them.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are a TTS for me minus a letter width (I'm a Brannock 9.5E and these are 9.5D), and they fit quite well - no extra room, but they're not tight, either - no surprise there, as my other Surreys (and my Higgies, too) are D width and are plenty wide.

I was a little surprised by the Dainite sole, as my other Surreys (Chukka and Captoe Boot) both have the Itshide Commando soles, and I assumed these would, too (although, when I got them, I went back and looked at the auction pics, and the Dainite soles were clearly shown in at least one pic, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, LOL).

BTW, it was your pair that made me add these to my watch list on the popular auction site: every time you posted yours, I thought "Man, I gotta get a pair of those!", but I waited too long to get a pair from AE before they were discontinued. So when they turned up in my size on the bay, I had to grab them.
Seriously?! Never thought that any of my AE collection would inspire anyone (besides me). You do know they're not shell right? lol. Seriously, I hope they work out for you. Imho, they are a fairly unfairly underrated shoe. Enjoy!
Ps. I could see how the commando sole would work on the derby, too. Taking it from what I call "sensible" to bad*ss. lol.

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From yesterday, in my Thanksgiving-est colors.
20201127_014703~3.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin24

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the Allen Edmonds McGraw-I wonder what size one would recommend for a flat-footed 11D?

I ask as I've heard the McGraw sizing can be tricky.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is the Strandmok sizing becoming a debacle? I am finding that I need different sizes for each type of Strandmok. Old school unlined models I am in 9.5B, lined models I have found that a 9.5C is the best option and finally the Specialty Strandmok (woollymok) I have to break in a 9.5D as it is tighter than the other sizes new. My Tupelo, which I consider a Strand Pattern is slightly loose in a 9.5D. Has anyone found such a big sizing difference in the mok side of the Strand?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is a bourbon that has been patina’d red by a granddaughter bourbon any more?
View attachment 1506301
The bigger question is, where is the line from patina to F’d up? Two very different rewards were given for that supposed mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads