• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's never a good day when both you and your spouse/partner/etc. work from home and a big box of shoes arrives. The conversation when something like this:

Her: What did you order now?
Me: Shoes.
Her: Of course you did.
Me: Let me show them to you.

I open them up, put them out, and display them nicely.

Her: Why did you buy three of the exact same thing?
Me: They are different colors.
Her: Really? They are not that different.
Me: I can match them to my outfits.
Her: Okay, Imelda.
Me: How many black dresses and black shoes do you own?
Her: I'm a woman.
Me: That's sexist.
Her: No it isn't because I am a woman and I said it.
Me: Reverse sexism?
Her: Is that really how you want to play this one?
Me: Yes.
Her: I really don't care if you keep them all or none as long as we can end this conversation now.
Me: Really?
Her: Yes, but DO NOT EVER ask about my clothes, shoes, or bags ever again.
Me: Well played.
Her: You didn't marry a dummy.
Me: Seriously, please tell me which ones you like.
Her: Don't Like (Coffee), Great color (Dark Chili), Like this one too but not as much as the other (Mahogany).
Me: So, what about the style?
Her: Too formal, you are pre-retired and need more causal shoes.
Me: So what should I do?
Her: Return them and find a casual shoe in the color I like.
Me: But they were $199 each which is 50% off.
Her: Is this the Price Is Right?
Me: No.
Her: Then don't ask for my opinion if you are going to ignore it.
Me: I'm not ignoring it, I am not agreeing with it.
Her: Whatever.
Me: I love you.
Her: Me too, Can we please now do something that would actually be fun for me?
Me: Yes, dear!
Her: Well played.

View attachment 1504803
Really? You showed your wife naked shoes? My wife would never go for that.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Coffee is basically medium brown (which some might find too boring). Dark Chili has some really nice red tones. Mahogany IMHO is an ever darker and more brown version of Dark Chili and another good option. I was tempted to keep two of them but I really think the Dark chili could work in place of all three because it is literally "in the middle" colorwise.

So you going to keep only one in Dark Chilli?

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Really? You showed your wife naked shoes? My wife would never go for that.

I pre-gamed her. I knew the AE box was arriving today so I sent her 4 links of sale shoes on the Carmina site she would definitely like:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
agree on coffee being a return, not a fan.
Dark Chilli is def a winner

at 199, consider keeping Mahogany as I never seen 1st to go for this low...

Maybe. It is more about room (small apartment living by choice) than the money. And the main reason why I started that 7 shoe collection post in both the AE and Alden threads.

As I transition my wardrobe and shoes to more casual, I need to be very careful with my choices based on the limited space I/we have to store everything. I have already gotten rid of most of my suits and sports jackets. I have kept the following, for now, but may pare down even more:
  • Navy suit
  • Dark grey suit
  • Navy blazer
  • Brown tweed sport jacket
  • 5 wool trousers
  • Tux
I think the Dark Chili might be the most flexible with what is listed here (as well as black oxfords).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe. It is more about room (small apartment living by choice) than the money. And the main reason why I started that 7 shoe collection post in both the AE and Alden threads.

As I transition my wardrobe and shoes to more casual, I need to be very careful with my choices based on the limited space I/we have to store everything. I have already gotten rid of most of my suits and sports jackets. I have kept the following, for now, but may pare down even more:
  • Navy suit
  • Dark grey suit
  • Navy blazer
  • Brown tweed sport jacket
  • 5 wool trousers
  • Tux
I think the Dark Chili might be the most flexible with what is listed here (as well as black oxfords).
Keep the tux!

PANJ

Reaction score
During this 30% off sale, my inner weasel compelled me to try the Ketchup derby (come on, AE must have known that was coming when they named it Kitsap). At only $125, why not? Since it is an obscure Nordy model I'm posting some photos of the unboxing.

Based on the label, not seconds but first quality on clearance:

View attachment 1504812

They came with two——count 'em TWO——shoe bags! One more than each of my TS custom suede and shell models.

View attachment 1504813

The finish is soft nubuck though burnishing gives the toes a smoother/shinier feel and adds some character. However, there's also some weird burnishing in random spots, including along part of the left toe cap broguing, and a black dot on the right toe that's more annoying in close up than from normal wearing height. Another odd choice is the single exposed brass eyelet - if I keep them I'll be putting those on all the eyelets.

View attachment 1504814

The single brass eyelet and hybrid rubber/leather sole construction puts this squarely in the Bainbridge family (any comments from Bainbridge owners on fit, durability etc. are welcome!):

View attachment 1504822

I wouldn't exactly call it a precision reverse welt:

View attachment 1504826

Though the specs say its on the 222 last, I can easily get my feet in and out of them, which I've never experienced on that last, maybe it's the open lacing? Footbed seems wider as well.

In any case, I'm on the fence about keeping. For $125, seems like a decent casual knockabout/beater. Any thoughts or opinions?
For $125 how can you go wrong? Makes me wish I had picked up a pair as well (I probably would've if I knew they were nubuck). I even like the eyelets. I say keep'em.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Strange that these are $279.
173CB86A-F9AC-491C-842C-F1C0F50B5FD7.png

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
During this 30% off sale, my inner weasel compelled me to try the Ketchup derby (come on, AE must have known that was coming when they named it Kitsap). At only $125, why not? Since it is an obscure Nordy model I'm posting some photos of the unboxing.

Based on the label, not seconds but first quality on clearance:

View attachment 1504812

They came with two——count 'em TWO——shoe bags! One more than each of my TS custom suede and shell models.

View attachment 1504813

The finish is soft nubuck though burnishing gives the toes a smoother/shinier feel and adds some character. However, there's also some weird burnishing in random spots, including along part of the left toe cap broguing, and a black dot on the right toe that's more annoying in close up than from normal wearing height. Another odd choice is the single exposed brass eyelet - if I keep them I'll be putting those on all the eyelets.

View attachment 1504814

The single brass eyelet and hybrid rubber/leather sole construction puts this squarely in the Bainbridge family (any comments from Bainbridge owners on fit, durability etc. are welcome!):

View attachment 1504822

I wouldn't exactly call it a precision reverse welt:

View attachment 1504826

Though the specs say its on the 222 last, I can easily get my feet in and out of them, which I've never experienced on that last, maybe it's the open lacing? Footbed seems wider as well.

In any case, I'm on the fence about keeping. For $125, seems like a decent casual knockabout/beater. Any thoughts or opinions?

Only commenting since you asked for feedback. First, it's cool to see these with real pics and it's also nice that they are nubuck. That makes them more compelling to me. But in the end, I don't really care for the shoe and I am not sure that it's that great a value once you are putting in more eyelets (which I would for sure want as well.. who does unmatched eyelets???). To my eye they lack refinement even for a casual shoe. The shape of the quarters, design of the heel non-counter counters, the brogue implementation that feels unbalanced, and the roughness of the neck design. For me, it's just a shoe that looks off. But --- that's me. There's a foot for every shoe and if you like em then you should rock em proudly.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can’t get excited about this recent sale and it is mostly my fault. When I put my size in the filter the only thing that comes up are things that I already own. Although I was able to pick up the PA sneaker. If the fit was not a compromise, I would have gotten the sneaker in Shell. Even the Shoebank does not have the gems that it once had. Probably a lot better for AE though.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t get excited about this recent sale and it is mostly my fault. When I put my size in the filter the only thing that comes up are things that I already own. Although I was able to pick up the PA sneaker. If the fit was not a compromise, I would have gotten the sneaker in Shell. Even the Shoebank does not have the gems that it once had. Probably a lot better for AE though.
I completely understand.
When I filter my size, I only get:
1. Nomad plain-toe derby
2. Cavanaugh
3. Boulevard
4. Fifth Ave

That’s it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads