• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Tuesday. Allen Edmonds Scuffed Dark Cognac Shell Cordovan Strands.

Allen Edmonds Cognac Marbled Shell Cordovan Strands - 30.jpg

Allen Edmonds Cognac Marbled Shell Cordovan Strands - 31.jpg

Allen Edmonds Cognac Marbled Shell Cordovan Strands - 47.jpg

Allen Edmonds Cognac Marbled Shell Cordovan Strands - 2020-11-24 - 5.jpg

-Mike

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if I had any desire to drop about $400 on a red and green shoe, your makeup is the best looking to me. Please remind me how you got the red Dainite (which looks great on that shoe). Simple sole swap for an upcharge when ordered? An old MTO?
I got them last year and ordered them with a sole swap. It was an option on the order page. There is someone else on the forum here that has them with green Danite on.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah... all I see are inappropriate organs

Reminds me of a story.

A guy is finally convinced by his family to see a psychiatrist. The doc starts the workup and gets to the Rorschach images. He shows the patient the first image and says, "Tell me what you see."

1606239169775.png

The patient says, I see a guy and girl **********.
The doctor shows him the second image and again asks what he sees.

1606239257442.png

The patient says, "I see a guy and three women **********.
The doctor shows the third image and repeats his question.

1606239400849.png

The patient says, "It's a group of people tangled together in an orgy."
The doctor says, "I'm afraid you are abnormally focused on sex."
Me?!, says the patient. "You are the one with all the dirty pictures."

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Holy SALE batman.

When they first announced the $199 sale there were over 200 items in my sizes (9.5E, 10D) in-stock but now there are less than 50. Do I need to order more before it all disappears?

Draconestra

Reaction score
Got kicked off the AE Enthusiasts page today. Boy that was easy. Just had to suggest that the way they manage the page is much more inconsistent than AE’s quality ever was.

lmao that was you?! I happened to see your comment and I thought it was hilarious because it was true. I didn’t get a chance to see the post where people kept discouraging the first pair though. It’s really sad that that community is like that. Usually I’ll see that kind of stuff one Reddit, but only because someone is asking if the pair should be returned or not.

Thankfully y’all aren’t like that here. It can be a bit intimidating to post here though, because I see a lot of regulars here and hardly any fresh faces.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lmao that was you?! I happened to see your comment and I thought it was hilarious because it was true. I didn’t get a chance to see the post where people kept discouraging the first pair though. It’s really sad that that community is like that. Usually I’ll see that kind of stuff one Reddit, but only because someone is asking if the pair should be returned or not.

Thankfully y’all aren’t like that here. It can be a bit intimidating to post here though, because I see a lot of regulars here and hardly any fresh faces.
We've all been the fresh face! Have no fear of posting!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Would anyone, with more knowledge on sizing than me, explain the difference between a 9.5E and 10D on the 511 Last (i.e. Leeds, Wilbert)? I straddle the line between 9.5E and 10D on the 65 last and ultimately go with the 9.5E because I need the width more than the length but not sure how it translates to the 511 which is already a wide last.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would anyone, with more knowledge on sizing than me, explain the difference between a 9.5E and 10D on the 511 Last (i.e. Leeds, Wilbert)? I straddle the line between 9.5E and 10D on the 65 last and ultimately go with the 9.5E because I need the width more than the length but not sure how it translates to the 511 which is already a wide last.
Sizing is like quantum mechanics. If you think you know it, that is the sign that you don’t. But on the 511, I would try the 10D first.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sizing is like quantum mechanics. If you think you know it, that is the sign that you don’t. But on the 511, I would try the 10D first.

What if I know quantum physics? Would that help with sizing shoes correctly?
(I don't actually know it)

Not trying to be funny, my 10D Wilberts started out great but after about 2 years of consistent wear they are a bit too wide, yet anything on the 65 last I need in a 9.5E otherwise they are too narrow.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 511 runs shorter than the 65, so some men will benefit from 1/2 size up. I would start with 10 D, but you say those are too wide. 9.5 E is likely not going to improve that issue, as it will be wider. However, the overall volume in the toe area would be less above the toes. 9.5 E and 10 D use the same volume, but it's distributed differently if that makes sense. The other possibility is that the 511 might not fit you all that well. It's not the best last for me.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 511 runs shorter than the 65, so some men will benefit from 1/2 size up. I would start with 10 D, but you say those are too wide. 9.5 E is likely not going to improve that issue, as it will be wider. However, the overall volume in the toe area would be less above the toes. 9.5 E and 10 D use the same volume, but it's distributed differently if that makes sense. The other possibility is that the 511 might not fit you all that well. It's not the best last for me.
I see what you did there. Think highly of yourself, don't you!
To further expand, the 9.5E and 10D are considered sister sizes and some people consider them interchangeable. I do not; they each have their place for different foot shapes.

I always like to post Neo's thread, even though in this case not much more info is provided than from Lobster and Chuckles.

I agree with the recommendation to start with 10D. I wear 11.5EE in 511, 11EEE in 65. I wouldn't call it wide per se, but a bit less tapered and a bit wider than the 65 for sure. I assume you don't have excessive V gap or lack there of at 9.5E on 65? Since you say the 10D as gotten too wide, it might be worth a 9.5D in the 511 to see where that lands you. I think the 9.5E in 511 will be too much from the start.

In case I haven't posted this lately as well, going up a length adds half a width worth of volume: a 10D is about the same as a 9.5D-and-a-half and a 10D is roughly the same circumference as a 9E. Generally, you can assume that a letter size adds 3/16 inch to the total circumference, which equates to about 1/16 inch in actual foot bed width increase at heel and ball, give or take. I think each half length adds an 1/8 inch approx...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads