• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Yeah, Daltons look off too me. They look oddly thick in the shaft when viewed in profile. The empty vamp space is too large. The wings drop down too early and at an odd angle. C&J and Alden both do a wing boot better. I just can’t get behind the Dalton; it’s not something until you have both in hand that you really can express what’s off. There’sa lot of styles I prefer in AE though...no one beats the Strand proportions.
I think the Dalton shaft looks odd off the foot, but fine when you’re wearing it. The wing thing is one of those personal preferences - the Alden wing seems too fatten up before going down to the welt, and with the shaft being too short and the eyelets too close together, it looks stocky and shrunken, like Danny Devito. As for vamp space - C&J only makes one mainline non-MTO wingtip boot and it has tons of vamp space.
(Note: I like all three boots, but do think the Dalton looks better with split welt.)
5FEA1A1E-5EF2-4883-924D-C0A91CDE695D.jpeg
2537B49E-0327-43A1-8B88-C6372FD5B5F4.jpeg
D5C2C773-687D-4D62-AAA5-4B0D239EE969.jpeg

Last edited:

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Dalton shaft looks odd off the foot, but fine when you’re wearing it. The wing thing is one of those personal preferences - the Alden wing seems too fatten up before going down to the welt, and with the shaft being too short and the eyelets too close together, it looks stocky and shrunken, like Danny Devito. As for vamp space - C&J only makes one mainline wingtip boot and it has tons of vamp space.
(Note: I like all three boots, but do think the Dalton looks better with split welt.) View attachment 1500274 View attachment 1500275 View attachment 1500276
Thursday also makes a nice wingtip boot, though I know that company may be below some of the posters standards in this thread.

I currently have a pair of Daltons on danite and Thursday's on danite. My daltons have loose grain, but they were purchased as seconds, my only issue with the Thursdays is that they are a super slim last so they are tight on my feet and can only wear thin socks or otherwise the pressure is hightened.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I think the Dalton shaft looks odd off the foot, but fine when you’re wearing it. The wing thing is one of those personal preferences - the Alden wing seems too fatten up before going down to the welt, and with the shaft being too short and the eyelets too close together, it looks stocky and shrunken, like Danny Devito. As for vamp space - C&J only makes one mainline wingtip boot and it has tons of vamp space.
(Note: I like all three boots, but do think the Dalton looks better with split welt.) View attachment 1500274 View attachment 1500275 View attachment 1500276

There's also the lindrick & the skye. Personally, I feel these are the high water mark for wingtip boots for various reasons although they are MTO only for the time being, I think. In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a pair of Aldens similar to the ones posted above except on the plaza last. Also an excellent option and, in fact, my first pair of shell boots. I will say that I actually prefer the more closely spaced eyelets on the Aldens. A matter of person preference, I suppose.

By the way, I do also like the Carmina WTB despite the wings being a bit shorter and closer in proportion to the dalton. I guess it's hard for me to articulate what I dislike about the Dalton, personally, but it just doesn't really work for me overall.

Also, one other thing about the Dalton which I don't personally care for is the proportions of the heel counter. It just looks odd to me and, in my opinion, contributes to the perceptions about the shaft.

1605797721015.png

1605797827762.png

carminawtb.jpg

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
There's also the lindrick & the skye. Personally, I feel these are the high water mark for wingtip boots for various reasons although they are MTO only for the time being, I think. In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a pair of Aldens similar to the ones posted above except on the plaza last. Also an excellent option and, in fact, my first pair of shell boots. I will say that I actually prefer the more closely spaced eyelets on the Aldens. A matter of person preference, I suppose.

By the way, I do also like the Carmina WTB despite the wings being a bit shorter and closer in proportion to the dalton. I guess it's hard for me to articulate what I dislike about the Dalton, personally, but it just doesn't really work for me overall.

Also, one other thing about the Dalton which I don't personally care for is the proportions of the heel counter. It just looks odd to me and, in my opinion, contributes to the perceptions about the shaft.

View attachment 1500311

View attachment 1500315
View attachment 1500317
Yeah, that’s why I meant about Islay being the only main line boot - but I agree that C&J makes amazing wingtip boot (as does Carmina). I’d love to pick up a pair, but I’d need them in G fitting, which makes GMTO difficult, so no joy. C&J says I should try an Islay, as they might be wide enough, but I’ll wait until I can go to NY and get fitted.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1500311

View attachment 1500315
View attachment 1500317
Bingo. Those are the C&Js I was thinking of. The one Double posted is flawed the same way from quarters forward as the Dalton.
So. Excuse the poor proportions...shaft to vamp is all wrong, but look at the wing/quarters on my sketch. I wish they would have the wings follow the curve of the quarters...I've seen specific pairs of Aldens and C&J do this, but as a whole they tend to keep them a bit more off as shown in examples above. This is how *I* would design a wing boot.
1828_0011.jpg

For me, the eyelet tabs being a separate sewn on top of, rather than just a single piece with a sew line, also contributes to the "off-ness". This same discussion came up last year, and will probably in 2021, but to each their own. If everyone liked the same there would only be one style!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Bingo. Those are the C&Js I was thinking of. The one Double posted is flawed the same way from quarters forward as the Dalton.
So. Excuse the poor proportions...shaft to vamp is all wrong, but look at the wing/quarters on my sketch. I wish they would have the wings follow the curve of the quarters...I've seen specific pairs of Aldens and C&J do this, but as a whole they tend to keep them a bit more off as shown in examples above. This is how *I* would design a wing boot.
View attachment 1500399

For me, the eyelet tabs being a separate sewn on top of, rather than just a single piece with a sew line, also contributes to the "off-ness". This same discussion came up last year, and will probably in 2021, but to each their own. If everyone liked the same there would only be one style!

bonus points for sketch efforts. :)

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1500399
Do you think the last would make a difference in proportion, like Barrie vs. Plaza or Grant?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you think the last would make a difference in proportion, like Barrie vs. Plaza or Grant?
It might, depending on how they adapted the pattern...good thought! I'd have to have several different lasted examples on hand to compare. I'm not a huge wing person, so I only have the Ravello WT boot currently. All my others are plain, cap, or U/NST...so I can't make that comparison myself!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
It might, depending on how they adapted the pattern...good thought! I'd have to have several different lasted examples on hand to compare. I'm not a huge wing person, so I only have the Ravello WT boot currently. All my others are plain, cap, or U/NST...so I can't make that comparison myself!

pardon the extreme shabbiness, I happen to have these sitting beside me waiting till I'm physically able to clean them up. these are the aforementioned plaza lasted wtb.

20201119_114352.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pardon the extreme shabbiness, I happen to have these sitting beside me waiting till I'm physically able to clean them up. these are the aforementioned plaza lasted wtb.

View attachment 1500406
Yeah! There's very close to perfect for me! Very short vamp area, long quarters, wing follows the quarters pretty well, and I personally like the smaller/closer together eyelets. One change I would prefer for my ideal boot (and I would buy if it was designed that way), is for the quarters/wings to more sharply fall as in my sketch (hitting the welt more verically rather than around 45 deg).

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah! There's very close to perfect for me! Very short vamp area, long quarters, wing follows the quarters pretty well, and I personally like the smaller/closer together eyelets. One change I would prefer for my ideal boot (and I would buy if it was designed that way), is for the quarters/wings to more sharply fall as in my sketch (hitting the welt more verically rather than around 45 deg).
One further comment. Allen Edmonds already knows how to correctly terminate a wing...look at the McAllisters! All they need to do is apply their expertise in closed lacing wing patterns to open lacing boot patterns, and they are all that is win. (McA has the same problem of wings not following the exact path, but the shapes are correct and they have done it correctly on past models)

Coffandcig

Reaction score

View attachment 1500406
That is way better than the Dalton, imo. AE needs to use the wingtip of the McAllister then adjust the vamp to run symmetrical similar to Alden's. The ~90 degree turn on the McAllister wingtip would make it a distinctly AE boot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics