• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do you hate American auto companies as well then? They don't have a great history of treating employees well. Do you buy your meat only from a farmer? Meat factories have a bad reputation as well. The list goes on... I'm sure I could find something or someone you purchase from that has a bad reputation when it comes to workers.

At least they do not union-bust like Amazon.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
What you're describing is "whataboutism" and that's not what I'm doing. I'm actually asking you if you're a hypocrite or not.
5E7FB78A-088A-40BE-A893-C14933910737.jpeg

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you think calling you a hypocrite because you fail to live up to your own ideals based on purchasing habits is the same thing as a debate on society as a whole then you're hopeless.

Attacking the accuser rather than making a logical counterpoint is a sign of a losing side.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
At least they do not union-bust like Amazon.

You are going to argue that the US auto industry and factory food industries don't have a record of union busting? That's a hill you're willing to die on? Ok...

I'm assuming someone with a name like NYCTechNerd probably works in the tech industry. Of all the people who want to lecture about unions, someone working in the tech industry should be the last to throw stones.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
If you think calling you a hypocrite because you fail to live up to your own ideals based on purchasing habits is the same thing as a debate on society as a whole then you're hopeless.

Attacking the accuser rather than making a logical counterpoint is a sign of a losing side.
You’re engaging in a tu quoque argument, and the cartoon shows an example.
“How can you be against Amazon’s business practices when you use these other businesses that have terrible practices,” is not an actual defense of Amazon’s terrible treatment of their workers. It’s just deflection.
Hope this helps.
Edit: Instead of this page becoming the comments section on Facebook or YouTube, feel free to DM me to continue this conversation. No one else really cares about this stuff.

Last edited:

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You’re engaging in a tu quoque argument, and the cartoon shows an example.
“How can you be against Amazon’s business practices when you use these other businesses that have terrible practices,” is not an actual defense of Amazon’s terrible treatment if their workers. It’s just deflection.
Hope this helps.
So you're basically admitting that you're a hypocrite.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Bezos and Amazon hate people have these days is some of the most irrational thing I've seen. Amazon lowering prices to compete (which makes other large retailers like Target and Walmart do the same) is a good thing for the customer. We live in a global age with the internet, it's time people move on from the "mom & pop" idea. It's dead like the USSR and ska music.

people care about AMZN’s anti competitive practices

i don’t think there is any data to support the contention AMZN forces others to lower prices because Walmart’s prices are already 34% lower. AMZN’s model is based on convenience not price (in fact it’s the convenience that creates pricing power)

So you're basically admitting that you're a hypocrite.
Your argument shouldn’t be that he’s a hypocrite, it should be that his objections indicate a problem with corporate America generally rather than AMZN specifically

i have no issues with Bezos or AMZN in general

apologies for the OT, back to shoes

Last edited:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You are going to argue that the US auto industry and factory food industries don't have a record of union busting? That's a hill you're willing to die on? Ok...

I'm assuming someone with a name like NYCTechNerd probably works in the tech industry. Of all the people who want to lecture about unions, someone working in the tech industry should be the last to throw stones.

It appeared that we were all having an intelligent discussion with differing viewpoints until you started to make it personal with others, and now me in your latest response, because people do not necessarily agree with your viewpoint. If you want to continue with this childish behavior I will not be a part of it but if you can be part of the discussion without making it personal, or slinging personal attacks, I will be happy to engage going forward.

And as for your assumption about me, you know what they say about assumptions: It makes an a$$ out of you (but not me). I try to minimize personal information on public forums but I will share that I have never worked for a technology company such as Apple, Facebook, Google, etc. and I am not a billionaire (or even hundred millionaire). I have worked in corporate roles at advertising and new media companies as well as k-12 schools and institutions of higher education over a career that spans 25+ years.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It appeared that we were all having an intelligent discussion with differing viewpoints until you started to make it personal with others, and now me in your latest response, because people do not necessarily agree with your viewpoint. If you want to continue with this childish behavior I will not be a part of it but if you can be part of the discussion without making it personal, or slinging personal attacks, I will be happy to engage going forward.

And as for your assumption about me, you know what they say about assumptions: It makes an a$$ out of you (but not me). I try to minimize personal information on public forums but I will share that I have never worked for a technology company such as Apple, Facebook, Google, etc. and I am not a billionaire (or even hundred millionaire). I have worked in corporate roles at advertising and new media companies as well as k-12 schools and institutions of higher education over a career that spans 25+ years.
Oh, see I thought you were just a Texas Tech fan living in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads