• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which one. Help me decide

or

Depends on expected use. If you are planning on wearing in snow/rain/ice the waterproof seems a no brainer.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which one. Help me decide

or

I have real work boots, so my only consideration is the color.
I own several black dress shoes that work with my side job attire. I’ve owned black casual shoes and boots but black is not favorite color for my casual wardrobe.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TS Leeds

CD0CA728-3494-40A3-932C-426D7F67593B.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Bezos and Amazon hate people have these days is some of the most irrational thing I've seen. Amazon lowering prices to compete (which makes other large retailers like Target and Walmart do the same) is a good thing for the customer. We live in a global age with the internet, it's time people move on from the "mom & pop" idea. It's dead like the USSR and ska music.
It’s not the lowering prices, it’s the poor quality (they are shipping second quality as firsts lot), the treatment of their staff, and (for me) the “Amazon mentality” of now now now. The waste of all that shipping, and the returns that they just destroy because it’s more cost effective. It just one part of a greater problem, but it helps reduce happiness by people being able to buy buy buy and never appreciate anything. Also, it helps breed (or at least symbolizes as the largest company doing this) a mindset of that crap’s sitting on a shelf, it better be across the globe TONIGHT. Oh, you sell custom items that take hundreds of hours of labor to fabricate? That better be on my job site 7am tomorrow or I’m calling and screaming for the next 12 weeks.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It’s not the lowering prices, it’s the poor quality (they are shipping second quality as firsts lot), the treatment of their staff, and (for me) the “Amazon mentality” of now now now. The waste of all that shipping, and the returns that they just destroy because it’s more cost effective. It just one part of a greater problem, but it helps reduce happiness by people being able to buy buy buy and never appreciate anything. Also, it helps breed (or at least symbolizes as the largest company doing this) a mindset of that crap’s sitting on a shelf, it better be across the globe TONIGHT. Oh, you sell custom items that take hundreds of hours of labor to fabricate? That better be on my job site 7am tomorrow or I’m calling and screaming for the next 12 weeks.
Second quality as firsts of what? I buy my Saphir products from a trusted seller and have had no problems. I buy brushes to polish my shoes from Amazon as well. All have been fine. Clothing? I've bought sweaters and cardigans from trusted sellers on Amazon and no problems there either. Better price to quality ratio than what I'd find in most local stores. Like anything you buy, you should purchase from trusted sources before spending your money.

Am I buying obvious Chinese Zara wannabe knockoff clothing or cheap tech from Amazon? Not usually, unless I know the seller has been reviewed well. I bought computer parts for a Raspberry Pi off of Amazon because you can only buy it from China and the sellers website had a worse return policy than if I used their Amazon store instead.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of cheap junk on Amazon, but that is the same for a local flea market as well. I've been sold complete crap for watch accessories on Amazon but I've also bought some exceptional leather quick release watch bands from an Amazon seller as well.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No copyright infringement, just a "#me too" lawsuit!
My #metoo moment was when she was showing a ton of cleavage and yoga pants. All for tips.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing white suede Nomads.

Yes, you can wear white after Labor Day and nothing evil will happen to you. There are no Fashion Police. If there were Nehru would have been arrested for inventing the Nehru jacket.

IMG_5356.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild Pictures" and for fans of "Oddities Of Public Art In Shoe Threads" pictures, the largest piece of public art on Rodeo Drive, a street lined with shops selling clothing, isn't wearing any clothing.

IMG_5359.jpeg

Wanted to take a picture standing in front of this thing for many years. Finally had a chance since the police have closed Rodeo Drive. The businesses were starting to board up all their doors and windows. Everything will be closed from November 3rd until it's safe to open again.

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads and Christmas Trees before Thanksgiving pictures in shoe threads, a large vanilla macaron (to go) and me at Laduree as seen through some macaron Christmas Trees.

IMG_5364.jpeg

For those who want still more public art in shoe thread pictures, most of the public art in Beverly Hills has been wrapped up and fenced in.

This is the Sir Winston Churchill "V" For Victory Memorial (my version of it) or the thing Ringo Starr donated to the city (the official version of it) all wrapped up and fenced in.

IMG_5374.jpg

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
The Bezos and Amazon hate people have these days is some of the most irrational thing I've seen. Amazon lowering prices to compete (which makes other large retailers like Target and Walmart do the same) is a good thing for the customer. We live in a global age with the internet, it's time people move on from the "mom & pop" idea. It's dead like the USSR and ska music.
I don’t like Amazon because of their rampant abuse of workers.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don’t like Amazon because of their rampant abuse of workers.

Do you hate American auto companies as well then? They don't have a great history of treating employees well. Do you buy your meat only from a farmer? Meat factories have a bad reputation as well. The list goes on... I'm sure I could find something or someone you purchase from that has a bad reputation when it comes to workers.

One thing that has recently come out to me in the local news is how bad some local businesses have treated their employees.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Do you hate American auto companies as well then? They don't have a great history of treating employees well. Do you buy your meat only from a farmer? Meat factories have a bad reputation as well. The list goes on... I'm sure I could find something or someone you purchase from that has a bad reputation when it comes to workers.
“But what about...?” isn’t an argument.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
...We live in a global age with the internet, it's time people move on from the "mom & pop" idea. It's dead like the USSR and ska music.

As a gen-x-er, I disagree and believe ska is alive and well.

It’s not the lowering prices, it’s the poor quality (they are shipping second quality as firsts lot)...

Second quality as firsts of what? I buy my Saphir products from a trusted seller and have had no problems....

Amazon is known to mix stock between it's own and third party sellers so while you may choose a trusted seller you may not actually get their stock shipped to you. And the Chinese are known for rampant fake products being stocked at Amazon and sent out as real.

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What you're describing is "whataboutism" and that's not what I'm doing. I'm actually asking you if you're a hypocrite or not.
I don’t know about a lot of what has been discussed the last few days. Here are my reasons not to shop at the following: Amazon, Walmart, Costco, Sam’s, Target. I just like to buy what I need when I need it. Big stores are hard for me to shop in. I buy food at a local grocery store. They have everything that I need and it is easy to find. Amazon is the same for me, just too much stuff and I don’t know how to navigate the electronic swamp on those big internet sites. I just like buying from the people that I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads