• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Again, simply doing a sale is competitive business. Naming the sale the same when the name is trademarked is bad.
He should just call it “RIMEP DAY” oe “RIME DAY”

though the idea of amazon crying about unfair online competition is pretty ironic

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
am i the only one who has never used Amazon? I went out for a beer today and told the bar maid that her body was Prime real estate. Guess I infringed on the Amazon trademark somehow.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
am i the only one who has never used Amazon? I went out for a beer today and told the bar maid that her body was Prime real estate. Guess I infringed on the Amazon trademark somehow.
Would be funny if it even somewhat made sense.... that’s not how trademarks work. Prime isn’t trademarked except under the context of a subscription service. What would you think if Cole Haan started putting the Carmina logo on their shoes ?

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is fascinating. I'd bet that 99% of people out there couldn't give two whits about whether Kirby or another small business used the term "Prime Day" or has any concept of the idea that "Prime Day" might fall under IP law. Obviously, the posts here show that there are people who care about that, but I couldn't even fathom holding this position. I've always thought Kirby was a little full of himself and far too pretentious (and probably not fun at parties, but I shouldn't be the first to throw stones on that subject), judging from how he comports himself in his interviews with various #menswear notables, but ultimately his videos on Youtube along with a handful of others taught me the most about shoes and shoe care when starting out. If I need Saphir and trouser hangers, I'll buy them from him as thanks for being informative and actively engaging new hobbyists. And I hope he keeps up with it, whether he used the term "Prime Day" or not.

This is almost exactly how I feel. I believe he is a pretentious little twat who wants to purport this fancy lifestyle but at the end of the day he is probably some gutter rat who is trying to drag himself out from under the rock from whence he came. Though, I do think what you say about "how he comports himself in interviews" may not be accurate because in my opinion I believe it to be actual child-like enthusiasm and a yearning for the better life that he wants so desperately to achieve and maintain.

With that said, I have bought products from him and will continue to do so because if it was not for so many of his videos I would not be as well informed as I am about shoes and shoe care. I could probably spend about $2 less per product on Amazon but I would rather give my money to the pretentious twat who helped me gain knowledge and who continues to support our community rather than some billionaire a-hole who does nothing for us, nothing for society, and works his warehouse employees in such a way that they do not even have time to go to the bathroom and must piss in a bottle at their stations when they need to relieve themselves.

Last edited:

Rithrin

Reaction score
This is almost exactly how I feel. I believe he is a pretentious little twat who wants to purport this fancy lifestyle but at the end of the day he is probably some gutter rat who is trying to drag himself out from under the rock from whence he came. Though, I do think what you say about "how he comports himself in interviews" may not be accurate because in my opinion I believe it to be actual child-like enthusiasm and a yearning for the better life that he wants so desperately to achieve and maintain.

With that said, I have bought products from him and will continue to do so because if it was not for so many of his videos I would not be as well informed as I am about shoes and shoe care. I could probably spend about $2 less per product on Amazon but I would rather give my money to the pretentious twat who helped me gain knowledge and who continues to support our community rather than some billionaire a-hole who does nothing for us, nothing for society, and works his warehouse employees in such a way that they do not even have time to go to the bathroom and must piss in a bottle at their stations when they need to relieve themselves.

Glad someone else out there feels similarly. You may be right about his enthusiasm in interviews. I have just felt on many occasions that he often interrupts and speaks over his guests, tries to finish their sentences, etc. It's as if he's trying to make sure the viewers understand that he knows everything about all things menswear. Perhaps it's just that he isn't a professional interviewer and I'm judging too harshly.

Now that Preston Soto has started his own webstore that also sells Saphir, I'm a bit torn on who to support, though. Maybe a 50/50 split!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Glad someone else out there feels similarly. You may be right about his enthusiasm in interviews. I have just felt on many occasions that he often interrupts and speaks over his guests, tries to finish their sentences, etc. It's as if he's trying to make sure the viewers understand that he knows everything about all things menswear. Perhaps it's just that he isn't a professional interviewer and I'm judging too harshly.

Now that Preston Soto has started his own webstore that also sells Saphir, I'm a bit torn on who to support, though. Maybe a 50/50 split!

Based on my experience (and in order of how I learned about each one over the past 12 months):
  • Kirby Allison (Hanger Project recently renamed Kirby Allison) has great videos, a great website, and good customer service as well as fast response to emails - I have placed a few orders.
  • Trenton & Heath (Potter and Sons) have good but slow customer service and response to emails - I have placed an order with them.
  • Preston Soto (Elegant Oxford) has never responded to the contact form on his website, no response to emails, no response to DMs on FB and IG - so no orders placed.
  • Allen Trushkov (Cobblers Plus) has good videos that are getting better, a new informative website that is being improved, and good response to emails and a phone call - I sent him a pair of my wife's "favorite" Frye motorcycle style boots to resole and add sole protectors. I did not realize they were fake stitched (aka not GYW) yet he did all the work and Blake stitched them but did not charge me extra. The reason I trusted him (but did not tell him beforehand) was that after watching some of his videos I realized his shop was less than 2 miles from my brother's home in Denver and that not only is my brother's family a customer but they have always been happy with his work.

For me, product may still come from Kirby Allison but shoes/boots will go to Cobblers Plus. This is my next project with him and there should be a video about mine in a few weeks:

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on my experience (and in order of how I learned about each one over the past 12 months):
  • Kirby Allison (Hanger Project recently renamed Kirby Allison) has great videos, a great website, and good customer service as well as fast response to emails - I have placed a few orders.
  • Trenton & Heath (Potter and Sons) have good but slow customer service and response to emails - I have placed an order with them.
  • Preston Soto (Elegant Oxford) has never responded to the contact form on his website, no response to emails, no response to DMs on FB and IG - so no orders placed.
  • Allen Trushkov (Cobblers Plus) has good videos that are getting better, a new informative website that is being improved, and good response to emails and a phone call - I sent him a pair of my wife's "favorite" Frye motorcycle style boots to resole and add sole protectors. I did not realize they were fake stitched (aka not GYW) yet he did all the work and Blake stitched them but did not charge me extra. The reason I trusted him (but did not tell him beforehand) was that after watching some of his videos I realized his shop was less than 2 miles from my brother's home in Denver and that not only is my brother's family a customer but they have always been happy with his work.

For me, product may still come from Kirby Allison but shoes/boots will go to Cobblers Plus. This is my next project with him and there should be a video about mine in a few weeks:

Elegant Oxford has treated me well. I bought a bottle of Renovateur from them that broke sometime during delivery. Sent an email with pics and they responded right away and sent me a replacement.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s not the competition. Failure to defend s trademark can result in loss of the trademark

I’m aware of the risks associated with failure to defend a mark. I was noting that infringing a mark is a form on unfair competition.

Still, it pains me to see any other business assisting AMZN in making the bullshit that is prime day into a real thing

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would be funny if it even somewhat made sense.... that’s not how trademarks work. Prime isn’t trademarked except under the context of a subscription service. What would you think if Cole Haan started putting the Carmina logo on their shoes ?
That’s why it is funny. I have no clue what the Amazon logo is or what they have trademarked. But if they can trademark something like Prime or Prime days then I think I will trademark the word water. I would only charge a penny for every use of the word.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Bezos and Amazon hate people have these days is some of the most irrational thing I've seen. Amazon lowering prices to compete (which makes other large retailers like Target and Walmart do the same) is a good thing for the customer. We live in a global age with the internet, it's time people move on from the "mom & pop" idea. It's dead like the USSR and ska music.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s why it is funny. I have no clue what the Amazon logo is or what they have trademarked. But if they can trademark something like Prime or Prime days then I think I will trademark the word water. I would only charge a penny for every use of the word.

that’s why you aren’t a lawyer lol. You can’t trademark water. You could trademark an image of water. Trademarks also have context. The word Prime itself isn’t trademarked generally—only when used for subscription services.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Which one. Help me decide

or

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
trying to drag himself out from under the rock from whence he came.
AH, the American Dream....to build a better life for one's self than that with which one started.....and if he can do it via something he is enthusiastic about, even better. Yes, he sometimes seems pretentious, but his videos are pretty good, product selection is good and, from my experience with his company, service is good as well. More power to him in his quest for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads