• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Amazon does just fine by me. I don’t have a problem with Kirby doing his own sale to poach Amazon’s Prime Day. It’s common sense though to not use trademarks from another company. Ignorance isn’t even possible at that point. He knows what he does.

So, you are fine with Kirby poaching "so-called" Amazon sales but don't care about when Amazon poaches sales from sellers on its own platform and then tries to put them out of business? or the fact that Amazon may not have had many of those sales if it was not for Kirby's videos.

If Kirby used a different tag line, such as, "Kirby's Special Sale Day" but happened to offer it on the same day as Amazon's Prime Day would you still say he was "poaching" Amazon sales? Isn't Amazon poaching his sales by offering the same products with no added value at lower prices (because they can)?

Does it bother you that while Kirby is in it ultimately to make money, by purchasing from Amazon you are lining Bezos' pockets with your money rather than someone like Kirby who is trying to inform a community (and make money at the same time)?

Would those people (aka shoe enthusiasts like you and me) have even known to purchase these products if it were not for Kirby (or Bedo's or Cobblers Plus or Elegant Oxford or Trenton & Heath)?

I say it again, you are giving people too much credit for understanding trademark law. Ask 100 people and I bet less than 10 of them will know that copying music is against the law yet you expect a small business owner to be familiar with trademark law concepts?

I am not an attorney and I do not even play one on TV but after working for more than 25 years in the technology field, having earned a masters degree in information management from the #1 program in the country, and dealing with software licensing for more than 20 years, I can share that the average person still does not understand that copying software, music, and artwork is illegal.

Not trying to pick a fight, have no love for Amazon, no connection to Kirby Allison, but I am amazed at the hate you have for Kirby and your limited view about who and how many people actually understand trademark law.

Last edited:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the 1980's, I was a partner in a high-end audio store, we had competition right across the street. They would, twice a year have a "we are open until midnight" sale, we "poached" on their sale, by hanging a sign in the window that said "We are Open Too sale". It was good competition, afterwords, all of us from both stores would go out for drinks.
So, you are fine with Kirby poaching "so-called" Amazon sales but don't care about when Amazon poaches sales from sellers on its own platform and then tries to put them out of business? or the fact that Amazon may not have had many of those sales if it was not for Kirby's videos.

If Kirby used a different tag line, such as, "Kirby's Special Sale Day" but happened to offer it on the same day as Amazon's Prime Day would you still say he was "poaching" Amazon sales? Isn't Amazon poaching his sales by offering the same products with no added value at lower prices (because they can)?

Does it bother you that while Kirby is in it ultimately to make money, by purchasing from Amazon you are lining Bezos' pockets with your money rather than someone like Kirby who is trying to inform a community (and make money at the same time)?

Would those people (aka shoe enthusiasts like you and me) have even known to purchase these products if it were not for Kirby (or Cobblers Plus or Elegant Oxford or Trenton & Heath)?

I say it again, you are giving people too much credit for understanding copyright law. Ask 100 people and I bet less than 10 of them will know that copying music is against the law yet you expect a small business owner to be familiar with trademark law concepts?

I am not an attorney and I do not even play one on TV but after working for more than 25 years in the technology field, having earned a masters degree in information management from the #1 program in the country, and dealing with software licensing for more than 20 years, I can share that the average person still does not understand that copying software, music, and artwork is illegal.

Not trying to pick a fight, have no love for Amazon, no connection to Kirby Allison, but I am amazed at the hate you have for Kirby and your limited view about who and how many people actually understand trademark law.
Again, simply doing a sale is competitive business. Naming the sale the same when the name is trademarked is bad.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Surrey Chukkas for some errands today:

20201031_155503.jpg

Coincidentally, I've been wearing my AEs in order of acquisition the last couple of days: yesterday, I wore my Brown CXL Higgies (1st AE purchase); last night, I wore my Navy/Brown Boulders (2nd AE purchase) to take the wife out for cocktails and dessert; today, I'm wearing my Surrey Chukkas (3rd AE purchase). I'm not sure how long this trend will continue (theoretically, it could go on for the next two weeks, if I don't wear any of my non-AE footwear in between AE wears, but after these, my recollection of the order of acquisition gets a little sketchy)...

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which is why we chose a different sign :)
I have no problem with that. Target does a “deal days” sale I think at around the same time. That’s just competitive business. Kirby could have called it the “Allison Sale” and I’d have been fine with it.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no problem with that. Target does a “deal days” sale I think at around the same time. That’s just competitive business. Kirby could have called it the “Allison Sale” and I’d have been fine with it.
Not to defend, when I don't know the particulars of the decision, but I bet the nomenclature didn't even cross his mind. No excuse for copyright infringement, but bet it wasn't a thought out decision...probably a "Hey, lets do that too" type of thing. Now lets all get back to shoes....

Rithrin

Reaction score

Would those people (aka shoe enthusiasts like you and me) have even known to purchase these products if it were not for Kirby (or Bedo's or Cobblers Plus or Elegant Oxford or Trenton & Heath)?

I say it again, you are giving people too much credit for understanding trademark law. Ask 100 people and I bet less than 10 of them will know that copying music is against the law yet you expect a small business owner to be familiar with trademark law concepts?

Again, simply doing a sale is competitive business. Naming the sale the same when the name is trademarked is bad.
This is fascinating. I'd bet that 99% of people out there couldn't give two whits about whether Kirby or another small business used the term "Prime Day" or has any concept of the idea that "Prime Day" might fall under IP law. Obviously, the posts here show that there are people who care about that, but I couldn't even fathom holding this position. I've always thought Kirby was a little full of himself and far too pretentious (and probably not fun at parties, but I shouldn't be the first to throw stones on that subject), judging from how he comports himself in his interviews with various #menswear notables, but ultimately his videos on Youtube along with a handful of others taught me the most about shoes and shoe care when starting out. If I need Saphir and trouser hangers, I'll buy them from him as thanks for being informative and actively engaging new hobbyists. And I hope he keeps up with it, whether he used the term "Prime Day" or not.

Back to shoes, though!

Landons in Navy shell with JR soles have arrived!

IMG_20201031_134205.jpg

IMG_20201031_134128.jpg

IMG_20201031_142704.jpg

First would like to emphasize that these have no apparent construction issues whatsoever. They seem a little more bright in color than the samples, which is fantastic as the deep blue is beautiful. These were a little bit of a risk with fit considering how new the Landon was, but they actually fit better than my First Street boots. There's extra volume in the vamp, but with really cinching down the laces it snugs up quite well.

It wasn't the original plan, but on my way out today I noticed some of my plants needed maintenance so the boots got impromptu gardening experience, as boots should. The only tragic thing is that I drove to the bank afterwards and the first step I took out of the car was directly into a lump of fresh chewing gum some presumably kind and considerate person left on the ground for me. Luckily these are fresh JR soles and not lugs to make cleaning it a nightmare.

No Halloween pics here, but hopefully everyone has a nice night with the trick or treaters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads