• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy R

Reaction score
The 7.5EEE he already has to add tongue pads to laced; I assume you meant 8E?

What models/last are you an 8E in? Different lasts can result in different sizes, especially loafers. I wear 11EEE in 65/1757, 11.5EE (or EEE) in 511, but 11.5E (With stretch at pinkie toe) in 606/2042/79 loafers.
Here’s a good start on recommendations for sizing on lasts. Italians are on down there:
Continues in comments too
Neo did a great service compiling all of this info.

No, I would go 7.5 EEE because there are no laces and you want them to be snugger. I would just buy both and keep the pair that fit best.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Halloween y’all.
Adding some orange laces to black fuddy-duddies makes for a nice Halloween pairing.
3A48D092-6EA2-43CF-941F-307E0D01235D.jpeg
Stay safe out there!

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Happy Halloween!

My brother likes to say he works for a living, he delivers for UPS on an industrial route. Empties and fills a 26' truck every day, often more than once. So when I asked him to take a picture of my boots out in the desert and he asked why I wanted a picture of my boots, of course I lied.

I do love these CXL HMs, and while they were far from my first AE (which goes back to the early 90s) they did re-ignite my passion after a few years off.

View attachment 1487897

Question for the group...I bought my brother a pair of these same boots. He has been wearing out $100 cemented boots every 2-3 months (Columbia etc.). After a break-in period, he loves the way they feel but is saying the Dainite is on track to wear out after 3-4 months. Recommendations on a sole for a guy who does 30,000+ steps a day and wants something as light and durable as possible? I'm going to try the Vibram Arctic on his Weatherproof ones once the Dainite is worn out (he works in Denver), but I could use a recommendation for an April-October sole on the CXL ones. Christy Wedge?
He needs a second pair or he's just going to have the same problems.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I would go 7.5 EEE because there are no laces and you want them to be snugger. I would just buy both and keep the pair that fit best.
7.5EEE is a length shorter, but will have more volume. A width up is equal to a full size length increase worth of volume; 8D has roughly the same volume as 7E. Therefore, the 7.5EEE has the same volume as 8EE-and-a-half or 8.5EE. So, the 8E is going to be a much less voluminous fit (more snug) than the 8E.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How so? (purely out of curiosity)

During Amazon Prime Day, Kirby sent an email out to subscribers first telling people not shop at Amazon for shoe products and telling them of his own Prime Day sale. Well, “Prime Day” is a registered trademark of Amazon, and using it without permission for an online sale of your own is a willful violation and shows dishonesty.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
During Amazon Prime Day, Kirby sent an email out to subscribers first telling people not shop at Amazon for shoe products and telling them of his own Prime Day sale. Well, “Prime Day” is a registered trademark of Amazon, and using it without permission for an online sale of your own is a willful violation and shows dishonesty.
I tell people not to buy from Amazon, because Amazon.

i would say there’s bigger issues than that with his service. His event with Carmina seemed to have turned into a fiasco.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i would say there’s bigger issues than that with his service. His event with Carmina seemed to have turned into a fiasco.
This isn’t about buying from Amazon. It’s about using Amazon’s trademark “Prime Day” for your own. He needs to be taken down for that

liquidjelly

Reaction score

Where can I find out what happened? This is interesting.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good guide, bad person
How so? (purely out of curiosity)
This isn’t about buying from Amazon. It’s about using Amazon’s trademark “Prime Day” for your own. He needs to be taken down for that

You give him and many others too much credit for understanding trademark (and/or copyright) law.

Kirby Allison/Hanger Project is a small business trying to stay afloat and is probably sick of people watching his videos for information and then buying the same products he sells from Amazon just to save a few dollars. I have no connection to him or Bezos but if you want to be angry at someone, what has Bezos/Amazon actually done to help you lately? Have they created videos to help you with your shoe care? Or does Amazon monitor what small sellers on its platform sell and do well with only to then list the same products at a lower price and put that small seller out of business?

Where can I find out what happened? This is interesting.

AFAIK, a Hanger Project Carmina MTO was delayed, a few pairs got messed up, and Kirby stopped communicating. It is poor customer service and poor communication but he should not be vilified for it. Heck, Meermin is no better (in my experience) yet they have many more resources and still do not communicate properly with their customers about MTO/GMTO delays and screw-ups.

Last edited:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You give him and many others too much credit for understanding trademark (and/or copyright) law.

Kirby Allison/Hanger Project is a small business trying to stay afloat and is probably sick of people watching his videos for information and then buying the same products he sells from Amazon just to save a few dollars. I have no connection to him or Bezos but if you want to be angry at someone, what has Bezos/Amazon actually done to help you lately? Have they created videos to help you with your shoe care? Or does Amazon monitor what small sellers on its platform sell and do well with only to then list the same products at a lower price and put that small seller out of business?

AFAIK, a Hanger Project Carmina MTO was delayed, a few pairs got messed up, and Kirby stopped communicating. It is poor customer service and poor communication but he should not be vilified for it. Heck, Meermin is no better (in my experience) yet they have many more resources and still do not communicate properly with their customers about MTO/GMTO delays and screw-ups.
Amazon does just fine by me. I don’t have a problem with Kirby doing his own sale to poach Amazon’s Prime Day. It’s common sense though to not use trademarks from another company. Ignorance isn’t even possible at that point. He knows what he does.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don’t have a problem with Kirby. I have a problem with what Amazon is and stands for.
On a shoe related note: my Santa Moks will get their first use of the season this week! Only 4 pairs left before I’ve made it through rotation, so logically they’ll get worn.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with Kirby doing his own sale to poach Amazon’s Prime Day. It’s common sense though to not use trademarks from another company.
In the 1980's, I was a partner in a high-end audio store, we had competition right across the street. They would, twice a year have a "we are open until midnight" sale, we "poached" on their sale, by hanging a sign in the window that said "We are Open Too sale". It was good competition, afterwords, all of us from both stores would go out for drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics