• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on the black shell Cordovan Park Avenue versus, say, the Alden Black Shell Captoes?
I’ve owned both. The Hampton last on the 9071 is way more generous than the 65 PA. The Alden is a 270 welt and has a steel shank. AE uses a triple stitch around the vamp where Alden uses a double. You get JR soles on the AE.

MontyLo

Reaction score
I’m excited to go down to Philly and try both in person. A few photos of the Alden are really flattering, whereas I feel like some of the stock photos of the AE may not accurately represent the proortions. I guess we’ll soon see.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why all the dislike (or outright hate) for the Wilbert?
(I really want to know why others are so against them.)
  • Is it the Poron insert?
  • Is it the Othello sole?
  • Is it that they are now made in the DR (mine are both MUSA)?

As a life long urbanite, my wife and I usually go out for many hours on Saturdays/Sundays including walking several miles, especially now that we do not want to use public transportation, and these are very comfortable shoes. Many of my dress and casual shoes are comfortable but not something I would want to walk in for several miles/hours. The alternative is an Allbird (or sneaker) which I often find too casual to wear. The Wilbert pairs well with jeans and chinos so why all the negativity about them?

Let me have your honest opinions, I can take it!

(and yes, the left pair are more reddish than others because I use Saphir Cognac cream polish on them)

View attachment 1485326
I have the Wilbert and use it a lot.
BE7DE29B-2BB6-4844-88F5-CA312295070A.jpeg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received #2 of 4 Trunk Show pairs today!

Bourbon Shell Strands
Flat Welt
Brown/Light Brown Edge
JR Sole (single)

PXL_20201027_191221422.jpg

PXL_20201027_191233771.jpg

PXL_20201027_191243020.jpg

These have a ton of character and I absolutely LOVE the way these look in the sun! Not quite as incredible as the Chili Hamiltons I received, but these will replace the 9E that I bought off of eBay since my foot shrunk due to weight loss (shameless plug to look at the FS shoes in my sig).

Only two pairs left: Marbled Dark Cognac Hamilton and Marbled Dark Cognac Strand. Can't wait to see!

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on the black shell Cordovan Park Avenue versus, say, the Alden Black Shell Captoes?

I personally like AE’s shoe options better from a looks perspective. They just look a bit more sleek.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one can never go wrong with a pair of shell PA's. Of course the Aldens are damn good as well.

I think the Alden is better only because the triple-stitch on the Park Avenue is really weird. Other than that, they're more or less identical excluding the 360 welt on the PA v. the 270 on the Alden.

Given cordovan is rarely on sale on Allen Edmonds, they're also about the same price (50 dollar difference). I'd go with the Alden. Right now, though, the PA is 150 dollars cheaper, and therefore the better deal.

Last edited:

ArtlessScut

Reaction score
Wasn't planning on buying anything from the RDA sale, but saw the last pair of Liverpools in brown suede at a massive discount in my size and had to jump on it. I had been wanting to add a chelsea into my collection, but was a little hesitant that my extra wide foot (7.5EEE) would make it look too chunky. Absolutely love these!

Now I wish I had joined in on a certain Spanish shoemaker's shell chelsea MTO event.
122867301_398612657808056_6619186111884435216_n.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the Alden is better only because the triple-stitch on the Park Avenue is really weird. Other than that, they're more or less identical excluding the 360 welt on the PA v. the 270 on the Alden.

Given cordovan is rarely on sale on Allen Edmonds, they're also about the same price (50 dollar difference). I'd go with the Alden. Right now, though, the PA is 150 dollars cheaper, and therefore the better deal.
I can't disagree with you at all. PA is just such a classic American dress shoe, that even if the same price for shell between the two, it is still a good deal. Of course, I may be biased, as the PA was my first GYW shoe in about 1990.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The RDA is continuing until tomorrow. Someone is watching out for me because I have a stretch pair at the store. Either it will be awesome or not work out at all. With the sale still going it will give me a chance to get something cool if this does not work.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like AE’s shoe options better from a looks perspective. They just look a bit more sleek.
I vastly prefer the AE shoe designs over Aldens. I only own 1 Alden shoe, a tassel moc from Brooks Bros. Alden does make fantastic boots though, so there is plenty of room for both in my life :).

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't disagree with you at all. PA is just such a classic American dress shoe, that even if the same price for shell between the two, it is still a good deal. Of course, I may be biased, as the PA was my first GYW shoe in about 1990.

The Park Avenue is a beautiful shoe. Classic, conservative, and well balanced. My only objection is that I think the triple stitch is slightly weird.

But yeah, I mean, you can't go wrong with the PA, but it's a steal at 150 under in shell cordovan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads