• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
But I think I still own a pair of voyagers (bought at an "incredible price") so who the hell am I to talk?

Wow, just wow. :eek: Don't even no where to start. I'll pay you to get rid of those.

voyager-9384-black-angle-web.jpg

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find them ugly/clunky and the padded collar offends me. The idea of a split toe blucher doesn't bother me but one with contrast stitching does because I feel such a shoe should be minimalist and utilitarian.

But I think I still own a pair of voyagers (bought at an "incredible price") so who the hell am I to talk?

:lol: That is the reason the Wilbert looks ugly to a lot of us. I would prefer the collar not be there. Back in 2015, the first two AE shoes I was really interested in were the Wilbert and Lasalle. I still think that the Voyager is by far, the most ugly AE shoe.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I find them ugly/clunky and the padded collar offends me.

:lol: That is the reason the Wilbert looks ugly to a lot of us. I would prefer the collar not be there.

It's actually the collar that makes them work for me because it pushes the part of the shoe near my ankle farther out so it does not rub. I have found on several AE models (Bartlett, Leeds 2.0, Walton) that area of the shoe rubs my ankle bone (and not in a good way).

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, just wow. :eek: Don't even no where to start. I'll pay you to get rid of those.

voyager-9384-black-angle-web.jpg
black voyagers are disgusting like black wilberts. I wouldn't wear either.

The brown voyager is still ugly but I assume I told myself it could work as a casual old man shoe with jeans. Or maybe I was drunk, possibly both things happened. Who can say?

Last edited:

Jimmy R

Reaction score
The Tale of 3 Dundees...
I cleaned & brushed my Chili shell Dundees tonight for duty tomorrow. I find myself wearing these pretty regularly. Anyway, I pulled my Natty shell Dundees and my Burgundy shell pair for comparison photos.

Photos in shade
View attachment 1485163
Natty (l), Chili (m) & Burgundy (r).
View attachment 1485162
Natty & chili (Eastports down below)

Photos in filtered daylight
View attachment 1485164
View attachment 1485166
View attachment 1485167
Chili (l) & Natty (r)

The Natty has darkened significantly over the years. And the Burgundy has lightened.

I think this exercise proves that all shell colors migrate toward a medium tone over time.

Any idea how the fit of the Dundees compares to that of the Williamsburgs?

MontyLo

Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on the black shell Cordovan Park Avenue versus, say, the Alden Black Shell Captoes?

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Between the voyager and wilbert I suppose everyone has their preferences

No judgement here

Attachments

• Allen Edmonds Voyager.gif
    Allen Edmonds Voyager.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
  • Allen Edmonds Wilbert.gif
    Allen Edmonds Wilbert.gif
    6.1 MB · Views: 31

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on the black shell Cordovan Park Avenue versus, say, the Alden Black Shell Captoes?

Apples to Oranges comparison even just based on price (and quality) especially since the PA is now and is often on sale. What other metrics are you comparing?

MontyLo

Reaction score
one can never go wrong with a pair of shell PA's. Of course the Aldens are damn good as well.

I have a pair of the old PAs for Brooks Brothers with the combination rubber sole And I do love them even though many people will say the finishing/sole treatment etc. is not as refined as more costly options. I have since added a lot of things to my shoe wardrobe, but I find for a captoe unless I’m going to spring double money for something like an EG Chelsea It’s hard to find as classic of an option. I think I may finally bite the bullet on a pair of Shell Park avenues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads