• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just considering one more RDA purchase (the Landon in #8). This time of the year, I'm required to wear black slacks for many of my side jobs. I wonder how that color/style would work with black slacks (not a suit).
What color pants? Burgundy is a great color--super dark at first. It even looks black in some lights. I personally like it with blue, but think it's best with gray pants.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color pants? Burgundy is a great color--super dark at first. It even looks black in some lights. I personally like it with blue, but think it's best with gray pants.

Black slacks (No suit)

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I missed these shoes. They missed me, too, and showed it with the bloom. I’m not a big fan of how burgundy shell starts out. It’s just too dark. But you need to wear it. It develops so much variation that you should never underestimate burgundy
View attachment 1485406

True 'dat! I know burgundy is often the red-headed stepchild of the Trunk Shows, but people really need to stop sleeping on it. Sure, it looks dark at the beginning, like you mentioned. But, the more you wear it, and the more you brush it, the more it rewards you with all the color variations. I really need to take some good photos of my burgundy Higgins Mills. The color range is dynamite. Your FAs look fantastic right now. Can't wait to see how they continue to develop over the years.

pedarius

Reaction score
Question for the group: anyone here have lived-in experience with the XL Extralight lug sole versus the Itshide commando? I like the Itshide based on past experience; wondering about differences in feel and whether (and if so how much) the XL is a downgrade in durability.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black slacks (No suit)
I am not big into fashion rules, but I feel like black slacks go with black shoes and almost nothing else.

True 'dat! I know burgundy is often the red-headed stepchild of the Trunk Shows, but people really need to stop sleeping on it. Sure, it looks dark at the beginning, like you mentioned. But, the more you wear it, and the more you brush it, the more it rewards you with all the color variations. I really need to take some good photos of my burgundy Higgins Mills. The color range is dynamite. Your FAs look fantastic right now. Can't wait to see how they continue to develop over the years.
They are cleaned up now.
14C38B10-D03E-4C5D-A153-B82A5068795B.jpeg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They are nice shoes, but they look like "old man" shoes. I'm not ready to be an old man.

I would agree that the dark brown is possibly an old-er man shoe but I have always been complemented on the brown ones that I try and keep a reddish-brown. I don't think the contrast stitching helps the dark brown one much either.

Well, I'm an old man, and they do look a bit like old man shoes. Which is not a bad thing. My only thing with Wilberts is that the apron extends too close to the toe, and the vertical seam seems short. But if you love 'em..wear 'em.

I'm the opposite, I like the long apron and short seam. I think when a shoe has a short apron and long seam it looks too dressy/fancy for me even as a dress shoe.

I am an unabashed fan of the Wilbert. I have the lighter brown. The leather is thick and supple and seemingly impervious to the elements. The Othello is more comfortable than Dainite.

As for looks, I think they are fine. Actually, better than fine. IDGAF if some think they are “old mannish” just as I’m sure others here DGAF about wearing dress oxfords with blue jeans.:hide: There, I said it.:-D
I'm with you. IDGAF. I was just wondering why others have the hate for these shoes.

The Wilbert is a great shoe for those moving days. You can let it get banged up and it will recover just fine.

Exactly, it works well with jeans and chinos for all kinds of days that you just do not want to wear a sneaker but dress shoes are a bit too much.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Question for the group: anyone here have lived-in experience with the XL Extralight lug sole versus the Itshide commando? I like the Itshide based on past experience; wondering about differences in feel and whether (and if so how much) the XL is a downgrade in durability.

From what I have heard and read (but not based on actual experience) rubber soles are as such:
  • Dainite is hardest wearing and feel but most durable
  • Vibram Eton and Itshide are a bit softer and a bit less durable than Dainite
  • AE (Vibram as far as I know) XL Extralight is a "gum rubber" or "blown rubber" sole, not unlike the Othello so it is significantly more comfortable but not nearly as durable as the Dainite, Eton, and Itshide. But, more durable than even good quality leather.

I am not sure how much people watch the Cobblers Plus YouTube channel but Allen/Owner is doing an interesting Dainite versus Eton real world comparison with his own shoes:

Last edited:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I took my college-aged son to an AE store a couple of years ago, and was surprised that the Wilbert was a shoe that caught his attention.

I think it looks terrible in Black. Not bad in Dark Brown. And really nice in (Light) Brown.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took my college-aged son to an AE store a couple of years ago, and was surprised that the Wilbert was a shoe that caught his attention.

He has good taste. I say that they look like "old man" shoes, but it's funny that 98% of my shoes are "old man" shoes. :)

joman8390

Reaction score
Anyone receive their trunk show Landons yet and can post pics? I’m considering grabbing them in chili shell

thanks!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why all the dislike (or outright hate) for the Wilbert?
(I really want to know why others are so against them.)
  • Is it the Poron insert?
  • Is it the Othello sole?
  • Is it that they are now made in the DR (mine are both MUSA)?

As a life long urbanite, my wife and I usually go out for many hours on Saturdays/Sundays including walking several miles, especially now that we do not want to use public transportation, and these are very comfortable shoes. Many of my dress and casual shoes are comfortable but not something I would want to walk in for several miles/hours. The alternative is an Allbird (or sneaker) which I often find too casual to wear. The Wilbert pairs well with jeans and chinos so why all the negativity about them?

Let me have your honest opinions, I can take it!

(and yes, the left pair are more reddish than others because I use Saphir Cognac cream polish on them)

View attachment 1485326
I find them ugly/clunky and the padded collar offends me. The idea of a split toe blucher doesn't bother me but one with contrast stitching does because I feel such a shoe should be minimalist and utilitarian.

But I think I still own a pair of voyagers (purchased at an "incredible price" of course) so who the hell am I to talk? As long as you like them who really cares

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads