• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe repair question -- I bought a pair of new black PAs off of eBay. I already have a pair of black PAs but they don't fit me as well because I got them before I got properly fitted (my PAs are 11D but it turned out I wear a 10EEE in the 65 last). Regardless, I found these new in box PAs on eBay and got them for a great price ($110 plus shipping), but when they arrived I noticed both have some defects. The one shoe has 3 light cuts on the toe; they appear to be actual cuts (instead of scratches) but are not deep -- still in the dyed leather.

The other shoe has on the heel counter what appears to be some scraped up leather. Again it is still black.

My gut is that I can (or my cobbler can) carefully shave off the scraped up leather and fill both that and the light cuts with some repair cream and a good polish and you can never tell the difference. Am I missing something? The seller has offered me a refund if I am unhappy with the shoes. My gut says that with $15 in repair cream these things will look darn near perfect. With the price I got these at even with repairs I am still way ahead of Nordstrom's anniversary sale or factory seconds.

FYI the shoes do not appear to have been worn previously. The listing didn't mention or show the defects but as I mentioned the seller is standing behind the sale so I don't have a complaint there.

I just don't want to end up with something that will stick out like a sore thumb.
Nothing there will stick out like a sore thumb. You will create your own scuffs and scratches much worse than those eventually.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I may have found a way to get something close to the original Higgins laces. These appear to not be the same length as the ones AE uses, but they are close. 120 cm or 150 cm is probably what I would want (AE uses 55 inch laces = 129 cm).

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe repair question -- I bought a pair of new black PAs off of eBay. I already have a pair of black PAs but they don't fit me as well because I got them before I got properly fitted (my PAs are 11D but it turned out I wear a 10EEE in the 65 last). Regardless, I found these new in box PAs on eBay and got them for a great price ($110 plus shipping), but when they arrived I noticed both have some defects. The one shoe has 3 light cuts on the toe; they appear to be actual cuts (instead of scratches) but are not deep -- still in the dyed leather.

The other shoe has on the heel counter what appears to be some scraped up leather. Again it is still black.

My gut is that I can (or my cobbler can) carefully shave off the scraped up leather and fill both that and the light cuts with some repair cream and a good polish and you can never tell the difference. Am I missing something? The seller has offered me a refund if I am unhappy with the shoes. My gut says that with $15 in repair cream these things will look darn near perfect. With the price I got these at even with repairs I am still way ahead of Nordstrom's anniversary sale or factory seconds.

FYI the shoes do not appear to have been worn previously. The listing didn't mention or show the defects but as I mentioned the seller is standing behind the sale so I don't have a complaint there.

I just don't want to end up with something that will stick out like a sore thumb.

Saphir renovating cream could fix these just fine.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every time I read your posts, I hear them in Lionel Hutz's voice.

That’s great. It’s not why I picked the name but off the top of my head I can’t think of any celebrity death that hit me harder than Phil Hartman’s.

joman8390

Reaction score
What the deal with the RDA sale, the prices have changed back to normal, my emails say it runs through the 28th?

EDIT: it may have just been me, as when I just checked again the sale prices were back.

Last edited:

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chili shell Dundee chukkas today
20201026_130258.jpg
20201026_130550.jpg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It would try rubbing lightly some toothpaste with my fingers in circles, I mean the old white toothpaste, it works like car polish. Then apply black shoe cream. I suggest trying first in the heel eventhough it wont fix the issue (the cut is too deep) but you will have an idea how it works in the toe. Good luck.

PANJ

Reaction score
Stupid question, perhaps, but if I call a store to order a shoe from an SA does the SA get credit for a sale? Nothing special, just thinking of getting s Strandmok.
In light of recent discussion on this board the idea of having a relationship with a good SA seems very appealing (and why not help out an SA if I can?) but I live 2 hours away from the nearest AE store.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am trying to determine if these new F1 coffee Strands spark joy?

- Do I like them because I only paid $149.98 during the RDA + 25% extra off by purchasing though an outlet?
- Do I not like them because my wife says they are a boring color?

IMG_2330.jpg

For those who do not get the spark joy reference

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the deal with the RDA sale, the prices have changed back to normal, my emails say it runs through the 28th?

EDIT: it may have just been me, as when I just checked again the sale prices were back.
Time travel can get so confusing. ☺

DawgPound

Reaction score
Stupid question, perhaps, but if I call a store to order a shoe from an SA does the SA get credit for a sale? Nothing special, just thinking of getting s Strandmok.
In light of recent discussion on this board the idea of having a relationship with a good SA seems very appealing (and why not help out an SA if I can?) but I live 2 hours away from the nearest AE store.
I asked a SA that very question for the same reason. He downplayed it and said that they are there to help and just do whatever is easiest, but ultimately did say they get credit for the sale. I placed my order with him and not online. He/they provide the customer service I like and thats what I typically do now.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I'm new here and want some advice. I've never owned a pair of shoes from Barker but heard they are quite good. I recently visited their website and I kinda like these two styles (Added below). I'm really confused about which one I should buy. Is there anyone who got these styles? or maybe knows about Barker? any help would be appreciated.

McClean: https://www.barkershoes.com/products/mcclean-cedar-calf-blue-suede
View attachment 1485269

and

Valiant: https://www.barkershoes.com/products/valiant-multi-teak-ebony-hand-painted

View attachment 1485268

I’m afraid all I know of Barker is that at least some of their shoes are made in Northampton, UK and some are Goodyear welted. I’d make sure that was true of those models, too.

As far as style, they are both spectators and oxfords. Like the AE Heritage and other discontinued models. To me it is a spring summer shoe for spring summer suits or tailored dress pants of similar materials. And they stick out. If you wear them frequently people will say “there’s Fred and those odd shoes again.”

Point being, they are of limited use and versitility. But, if you have your basics covered already a spectator is a fun shoe to have.

Id say the two tone tan is slightly more conservative, a very relative term when speaking of spectators.

good luck!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes they get credit and can ship it to your house just like an online purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads