• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the weatherproof offerings from AE? Would like to know if those are worth the purchase or if I can use calf skin or shell in the elements? I won't be drudging through rain or snow, but if I have to walk around in the rain, will the investment in the weatherproof model be worth it? I have read mixed reviews with shell handling rain.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thoughts on the weatherproof offerings from AE? Would like to know if those are worth the purchase or if I can use calf skin or shell in the elements? I won't be drudging through rain or snow, but if I have to walk around in the rain, will the investment in the weatherproof model be worth it? I have read mixed reviews with shell handling rain.
Just make sure to use wax.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the day shell was mostly used on workboots and "country" shoes so if they saw some water and developed welts/bumps, etc. (sometimes they go away and sometimes not) it was no big deal. If my Wolverines Ashley found for me get wet, no big deal.

Over time, folks started doing dress shoes in shell so folks are understandably reluctant to take the risk.

If uber casual, something like a boot in Dublin or CXL is good, at least for me. Ditto a grain leather.

If dressy, I have an old pair of black shell Alden punchcaps I'm trying to kill but they won't die so they are my suit rain shoe.

I would not put a waterproofing agent on any good calf dress shoe. I don't trust the stuff long term.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whelp I picked up a pair of chili shell Landon on double JR ... and the same scarf @sterlingindigo posted (because even though I don't wear scarfs I am highly vulnerable being weaseled)

this will be my second pair of Landons so I sure hope they fit.

Also my navy shell strands from the TS were waiting at the store, so that was nice. I've purchased navy, chili and #8 strands so far this year ... but I think @BFT9000 is safe for now because I think I'm done until I can buy natty

Last edited:

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whelp I picked up a pair of chili shell Landon on double JR ... and the same scarf @sterlingindigo posted.

Also my navy shell strands from the TS were waiting at the store, so that was nice. I've purchased navy, chili and #8 strands so far this year ... but I think @BFT9000 is safe for now because I think I'm done until I can buy natty
Enjoy the scarf and wear it in good health! Those Landon’s will take care of you for a long time coming.

Jimmy R

Reaction score
On second thought, maybe I should have sized down a half size with the shoes? Should the crease be farther back? This is with my foot bent like I’m pushing off, by the way.

Attachments

• 695BE4D3-996F-439C-9CF3-414594FFC0F1.jpeg
    695BE4D3-996F-439C-9CF3-414594FFC0F1.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the Alpine cap toe boots, which are "waterproof", they do keep out snow and rain, but the leather is rather "wimpy" feeling. The Arctic lug sole is to die for in winter however. ONE CAN NOT SLIP, the colder it gets, the more the sole grips. I don't find them particularly warm boots in winter, would be better if shearling lined, but the grip makes it all worth while. Oh and the feet do stay dry so the waterproof membrane must work. Unless you go in over the ankle puddles, then all bets are off.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whelp I picked up a pair of chili shell Landon on double JR ... and the same scarf @sterlingindigo posted.

No bourbon or green?? Not even brown!?

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No bourbon or green?? Not even brown!?

I own two pair of brown shell already (and Bartlett in walnut). I'm just not a fan of bourbon. Sometimes I think it looks great but I often think it has a yellowish tint. Maybe I'll get green someday and I will certainly buy natty if it is ever available again

do I own more brown shell strands than you? Does that bother you?

Last edited:

Jimmy R

Reaction score
I own two pair of brown shell already (and hopkinson in walnut). I'm just not a fan of bourbon. Sometimes I think it looks great but I often think it has a yellowish tint. Maybe I'll get green someday and I will certainly buy natty if it is ever available again

do I own more brown shell strands than you? Does that bother you?

Every time I read your posts, I hear them in Lionel Hutz's voice.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tale of 3 Dundees...
I cleaned & brushed my Chili shell Dundees tonight for duty tomorrow. I find myself wearing these pretty regularly. Anyway, I pulled my Natty shell Dundees and my Burgundy shell pair for comparison photos.

Photos in shade
20201026_173116.jpg

Natty (l), Chili (m) & Burgundy (r).
20201026_173128.jpg

Natty & chili (Eastports down below)

Photos in filtered daylight
20201026_173230.jpg

20201026_173234.jpg

20201026_173242.jpg

Chili (l) & Natty (r)

The Natty has darkened significantly over the years. And the Burgundy has lightened.
20190131_051452.jpg

I think this exercise proves that all shell colors migrate toward a medium tone over time.

WithBBQSauce

Reaction score
Shoe repair question -- I bought a pair of new black PAs off of eBay. I already have a pair of black PAs but they don't fit me as well because I got them before I got properly fitted (my PAs are 11D but it turned out I wear a 10EEE in the 65 last). Regardless, I found these new in box PAs on eBay and got them for a great price ($110 plus shipping), but when they arrived I noticed both have some defects. The one shoe has 3 light cuts on the toe; they appear to be actual cuts (instead of scratches) but are not deep -- still in the dyed leather.

The other shoe has on the heel counter what appears to be some scraped up leather. Again it is still black.

My gut is that I can (or my cobbler can) carefully shave off the scraped up leather and fill both that and the light cuts with some repair cream and a good polish and you can never tell the difference. Am I missing something? The seller has offered me a refund if I am unhappy with the shoes. My gut says that with $15 in repair cream these things will look darn near perfect. With the price I got these at even with repairs I am still way ahead of Nordstrom's anniversary sale or factory seconds.

FYI the shoes do not appear to have been worn previously. The listing didn't mention or show the defects but as I mentioned the seller is standing behind the sale so I don't have a complaint there.

I just don't want to end up with something that will stick out like a sore thumb.

Attachments

• IMG_5065.jpeg
    IMG_5065.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5066.jpeg
    IMG_5066.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 28

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the interesting thing about bourbon calf is that it can look amazingly beautiful or disgustingly ugly depending on how it was done.

@Lionel Hutz Are those AE laces on your Higgins or did you get those from GG?

Guarded Goods on all 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads