• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I started off wanting one pair black (Park) and one pair brown (walnut Strand). Then it was 5 pair...then found suede, monk straps, and strandmoks that got me past 10...then i found shell and I’m sitting somewhere in the 20’s. At least I’m starting to unload some. ?

To play along, what is your normal dress/attire like? My work and lifestyle is more business casual with occasional formal needs, so that influences what I would get and would suggest if limited on number of pairs.

More business casual and non-work casual as I consider early retirement (or as my wife likes to say, I am in the consulting stage of my pre-retirement)

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Having been retired 1375 days (yes I keep track), DO IT NOW!!!

I would now but no kids to worry about and my wife is simply not ready to stop working (high school principal and she loves what she does). Brothers, Sister, and most friends who are parents and about our age still have colleges, weddings, and other things to pay for so they simply do not yet have enough cash to be done. We were frugal for so many years and invested early, often, and wisely which really helped get us to the finish line early.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would now but no kids to worry about and my wife is simply not ready to stop working (high school principal and she loves what she does). Brothers, Sister, and most friends who are parents and about our age still have colleges, weddings, and other things to pay for so they simply do not have enough cash yet to be done. We were frugal for so many years and invested often, early, and wisely which really helped get us to the finish line early.
I retired 2 yrs before the wife did, health reasons got her to retire in January of this year. Good thing as she worked in a hospital, loved her work, but needed to retire (or at least get out of there). Having been in financial services industry, I said more times than I can remember "Retirement isn't an age, its a dollar amount". If you can afford to do it, I highly recommend doing so.......

WSB17

Reaction score
Yeah! Look what came in the mail!

Decisions. Decisions. Might have to re-think my “list of 7” after all...
Got mine a month ago... been on their mailing list for years as I used to buy the "Crown Aristocraft" / Made in the USA models.
I always have a soft spot for J&M but the current offerings are horrendous.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got mine a month ago... been on their mailing list for years as I used to buy the "Crown Aristocraft" / Made in the USA models.
I always have a soft spot for J&M but the current offerings are horrendous.
I have Made in Usa Crowns in Captoe and Wingtip (both black). They are wonderful shoes. Sad to see that there’s no more USA Made JMs :(

WSB17

Reaction score

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know many people frequent both here and the Alden forum but I still thought I would cross-post this.

I think to help cure my decision paralysis and improve my mental health (as related to owning and maintaining shoes), I may try to follow the 7 shoe wardrobe rule (in an abbreviated fashion). This might be heresy on this forum but it would be great if you would all play along and share your list if your were limited to just 7 (not including work/snow boots and sneakers). Here is my list:
  • Black oxford
  • Brown oxford
  • Brown brogue
  • Black tassel loafer
  • Color 8 loafer/LHS
  • Brown suede PTB
  • Snuff Suede Chukka

if weren’t so tired and lazy I would link to the famous thread by Manton from 3-4 years ago ON THIS EXACT SAME EXERCISE (an excellent thread).

My 7, exempting sneakers, work boots, and hunting boots, would be ( in a non-COVID environment):

* black stitch cap
* dark brown punch cap or wingtip
* burg or mid- brown shell LWB
* burg or brown shell loafer (whatever color the LWB was not)
* wingtip boot with Dainite or low profile rubber sole
* suede brown chukka (though C&J’s Chiltern in “Earth” - a mossy green-brown suede - is incredibly versatile, too.
* snuff or polo suede loafer

NOTE: I don’t think it is cheating to count my three Maritimes as exempt quasi-sneakers. I think it probably IS cheating to treat my Indys as exempt as a work boot (despite officially being a work boot).

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
if weren’t so tired and lazy I would link to the famous thread by Manton from 3-4 years ago ON THIS EXACT SAME EXERCISE (an excellent thread).

My 7, exempting sneakers, work boots, and hunting boots, would be ( in a non-COVID environment):

* black stitch cap
* dark brown punch cap or wingtip
* burg or mid- brown shell LWB
* burg or brown shell loafer (whatever color the LWB was not)
* wingtip boot with Dainite or low profile rubber sole
* suede brown chukka (though C&J’s Chiltern in “Earth” - a mossy green-brown suede - is incredibly versatile, too.
* snuff or polo suede loafer

NOTE: I don’t think it is cheating to count my three Maritimes as exempt quasi-sneakers. I think it probably IS cheating to treat my Indys as exempt as a work boot (despite officially being a work boot).
What's hilarious to me is you are the first person with a list so far that actually covers the normal color spectrum of dress shoe needs. I have yet to see someone else mention black and brown in the same list.

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HM this morning.
F1C56F85-E8D1-43E5-BF9D-0040892BE939.jpeg

Attachments

• 13634D08-5E9D-4845-AC82-D4D4F4EAB874.jpeg
    13634D08-5E9D-4845-AC82-D4D4F4EAB874.jpeg
    743.2 KB · Views: 19

rxcats

Reaction score
Having been retired 1375 days (yes I keep track), DO IT NOW!!!
I retired as of March 3rd of this year. Filed all of the paperwork just before last X-mas. Got out just before all of the COVID crap came to a head. Don't regret it for a second!!! I'll be 60 in December and feel really lucky to have gotten out a few years earlier than most.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's hilarious to me is you are the first person with a list so far that actually covers the normal color spectrum of dress shoe needs. I have yet to see someone else mention black and brown in the same list.

Well, I never posted in Manton’s thread but it caused me to think about it as an interesting academic exercise. And I think developing such a list is a practical guide to help purchasing decisions. Even if you have 30 shoes, do you have a collection that covers the spectrum of formality? The seasons? Rain? Is there a variety of color and leathers just to keep things interesting? Seems like you need to cover those bases, THEN be as duplicative as you like, if you like.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carbon, my friend, is a brownish grey. I'd count that on mine! But I do really prefer black and oxblood rather than black and brown.

Brown can be good, though! I have some nice brown pairs, but I wouldn't prioritize them. Also, my snowboots (excluded from the list) are brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads