• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Making sure your stuff is being made.
63ED5363-9AE5-4104-8306-F0C6FC6D4D83.jpeg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An old, loyal companion passed today. Our family yellow lab, Whiskey, was 15 years old. She was our office dog for a while (until an employee w/ allergies complained). She was a costar in my shoe photos.
R.I.P. sweet girl.
View attachment 1483249

View attachment 1483256

Sorry about that. The link we make with dogs is very deep, is an ancient agreement of love and loyalty.

I have not played with my dogs (2 labs , 2 german sheperds) for the last 7 months, they live in my parents's house and I just don't want to risk my dad or mom visiting them.

Have a nice weekend.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that. The link we make with dogs is very deep, is an ancient agreement of love and loyalty.

I have not played with my dogs (2 labs , 2 german sheperds) for the last 7 months, they live in my parents's house and I just don't want to risk my dad or mom visiting them.

Have a nice weekend.

If you get tested, you wouldn't have to worry. A negative test would mean you are not a danger to your parents. Quarantine after the test to be sure you aren't exposed till you see them.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How long on average for a pair of shoes from shoebank take to get to a doorstep? I ordered last Saturday night and still nothing.

DawgPound

Reaction score
How long on average for a pair of shoes from shoebank take to get to a doorstep? I ordered last Saturday night and still nothing.
I called in an order Saturday to the North Charleston store. It was at my door front on Thursday morning. I’m in the Phoenix metro area. That time frame is consistent with prior purchases. One time (out of many), something took over a week before shipment notification. I called, nicely mentioned it, and my order was overnighted. Shoebank are stores and not a shipping center, so i get that and expect that with respect to shipping time frames. When I purchase online, my expectations are different and expect faster shipment timeframes.

Last edited:

PANJ

Reaction score
I think the strandmok is marginally more casual (blue sole and all) but honestly if you are looking for something more casual to go with chinos and oxford shirts I think you need to get away from black.

I would wear burgundy/merlot/brown/walnut with chinos but not black. Black is just too formal IMO.

Unless you have some work requirement to wear black shoes I'd broaden your horizons.
You are right, if I dress casual for work, maybe I should just avoid black altogether. I do have browns, greens, and merlot shoes but sometimes I just like to wear black!
I do have a pair casual black boots, so I guess I don't have to worry about this too much until April!.
Thanks

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I can tell is my friends, who have owned a clothing store for 3 generations, are going out of business due to the Governments edict that they were "not essential", good business, great product, perhaps a little more expensive than online, but a small business. 2 owner/employee and 4 others employed. That is 5 families out of a job, due to not being "essential". I realize that COVID changed things, but these folks were careful, demanded masks before the government did, limited people in the store, appointment only, all to keep open during COVID, but our state government killed their business...makes me sick.
My father-in-law owns a shoe store. We went through this discussion. His brother owns a dollar store. The dollar store was essential somehow, but shoe store was not. The shoe store was closed for two months. The landlord doesn’t give a crap or want to forgive any balances. It’s a really fine line that has no good solution. If they didn’t force shutter the stores, they ran the risk of uncontrolled spread of a virus that nobody knew how it spread —oh, wait, the national government did know, but didn’t pass that information on! My point is that we didn’t have wel-defined standards under which we could confidently say a store could open. So we allowed “essential” stores to sell both essential and nonessential items, since that was convenient. Maybe it wasn’t right. But nobody had a plan for what opening safely even looked like. If we didn’t shutter the businesses, the people would have just gone about their normal patterns in them. Even now, they don’t wear masks in many places

PANJ

Reaction score
Any sneaker, by definition, is not formal.

A sneaker is more casual than a boat shoe.

Maybe a driving moc is same level formality.
Is the PA sneaker REALLY a sneaker though? I wouldn't wear a PA sneaker to the gym to work out, or probably even with a pair of shorts in the summer. But with chinos and maybe a cardigan, the PA sneaker would probably look nice--a kind of Mr. Rogers 2.0

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the PA sneaker REALLY a sneaker though? I wouldn't wear a PA sneaker to the gym to work out, or probably even with a pair of shorts in the summer. But with chinos and maybe a cardigan, the PA sneaker would probably look nice--a kind of Mr. Rogers 2.0
That depends on the definition you use. I have written this before, but sneakers are a very broad category of shoes. A dress sneaker is a fashion shoe. It is comfortable and usually a derby or Oxford design, often with a cup sole. Athletic shoes are also sneakers, but are generally molded soles and meant for working out, cross-training, tennis, basketball, or other sports.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I find it interesting, that during the "lockdown" due to COVID in my state, I couldn't go to a local Mom&Pop type of store (which I have done business with for 30 yrs) due to them being "non-essential" to buy jeans. I would have bought them from that store, even if more expensive, as I know the people, like the service, etc. HOWEVER, I could go to Wal*Mart (essential??? business) and buy jeans or other apparel, as they were not shut down by the state. It seems to me, an unfair political move...prompting me to oppose those currently in office and vote for the "other guys".

To be fair, it's not a simple calculus. There should have been (and could have been... in fact, there still should be) national standards dictating requirements for opening public places including stores. In the absence of that guidance, every municipality and state had to figure it out independently with highly divergent outcomes. In the case of walmart vs. local apparel store, it's not too difficult to see how they are distinguished and I do understand why there was differentiation in this regard. I tend to doubt that there was a political motivation behind it but rather that stores like walmart offer such diverse products with deep supply chains that it wasn't difficult to see that they offered an important channel for the general public. It's hard to make a case, objectively, for a local specialty apparel store offering an important public need in a crisis. I realize that isn't a popular sentiment or, frankly, a desirable outcome in the long term... but I do get it and I don't hold that against my state's decision makers considering the circumstances.

Remington Cashmere

Reaction score
I find it interesting, that during the "lockdown" due to COVID in my state, I couldn't go to a local Mom&Pop type of store (which I have done business with for 30 yrs) due to them being "non-essential" to buy jeans. I would have bought them from that store, even if more expensive, as I know the people, like the service, etc. HOWEVER, I could go to Wal*Mart (essential??? business) and buy jeans or other apparel, as they were not shut down by the state. It seems to me, an unfair political move...prompting me to oppose those currently in office and vote for the "other guys".
Sad day when “our” government picks winners and losers. Here in my small part of the world we have pretty much opened things up for ourselves and put them silly mask where they belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads