• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
...you might be able to wear them in bad weather TO the place...

Story of my life in NYC, so often you are wearing something casual TO work (on the subway, walking, etc. in all kinds of weather) and then change when you get INSIDE your office.

I've noticed that women really don't know much about shoes in general. This is because ladies shoes are made like crap compared to men's shoes. Women's boots can be quite well made, but women don't realize that once you get something recrafted you'll have to break them in some.

I am truly amazed at what crap women's shoes are no matter the brand/price. Her Ferragamos are some of the most cheaply made shoes she owns. I get that most women's shoes are made for style (but not function) and, as such, soles are glued-on because they are so thin and delicate but they could at least use better materials for the sole (i.e higher quality leather) and the heels (i.e. no plastic).

We visited Carmina recently and she liked a few of the pairs but found most of the Goodyear welted options "too clunky" which is not a reflection on Carmina but rather many/most women find women's Goodyear welted shoes too clunky (not a gender statement either and my comments are taken from a small sample of women in my life such as my sister, sisters-in-law, mother, mother-in-law, etc).

The boots were Frye and fully upgraded (leather soles, leather heel stack, GTO rubber sole protectors) by Allen/Owner of Cobblers Plus. I learned of him via YouTube and then realized his shop is less than 2 miles from my brothers house in CO. My brother's family were already customers and very happy with his work so it was an easy decision to send my wife's boots out to be recrafted.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Story of my life in NYC, so often you are wearing something casual TO work (on the subway, walking, etc. in all kinds of weather) and then change when you get INSIDE your office.

As a New Yorker, born and raised, though I split my time now in Central Illinois (where the weather is worse) I know those feels all too well. That being said, one nice thing about NYC is the lack of mud on the streets even when it rains.

I definitely would be keeping a nice pair of shoes at my office if I was working in NYC right now, or invest in a nice place of galoshes.

I am truly amazed at what crap women's shoes are no matter the brand/price. Her Ferragamos are some of the most cheaply made shoes she owns. I get that most women's shoes are made for style (but not function) and as such soles are glued on because they are so thin and delicate but they could at least use better materials for the sole (i.e higher quality leather) and the heels (i.e. no plastic).

We visited Carmina recently and she liked a few of the pairs but found most of the Goodyear welted options "too clunky" which is not a reflection on Carmina but rather many/most women find women's Goodyear welted shoes too clunky (not a gender statement either and my comments are taken from a small sample of women in my life such as my sister, sisters-in-law, mother, mother-in-law, etc).

The boots were Frye and fully upgraded (leather soles, leather heel stack, GTO rubber sole protectors) by Allen/Owner of Cobblers Plus. I learned of him via YouTube and then realized his shop is less than 2 miles from my brothers house in CO. My brother's family were already customers and very happy with his work so it was an easy decision to send my wife's boots out to be recrafted.

Yeah, it is really insane how badly made some of these ladies shoes are. I remember Jimmy Choo made a pair of heels that retailed for 3,000 dollars...and were expected to have three wears before the sole would fall off.

I mean, I agree that a blake stitch would probably be more suited towards a feminine style, and that would be an enormous improvement over the glued on garbage women get.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As a New Yorker, born and raised, though I split my time now in Central Illinois (where the weather is worse) I know those feels all too well. That being said, one nice thing about NYC is the lack of mud on the streets even when it rains.

I'm born, raised, and spent most of my life in 10021.
(with a short stint in 10009 during my late 20s)

And I even have a cell phone that starts with "212".

I'm OG.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm born, raised, and spent most of my life in 10021.
(with a short stint in 10009 during my late 20s)

And I even have a cell phone that starts with "212".

I'm OG.

11215/11218 here. Park Slope and Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am hoping you got to enjoy Brooklyn before the "hipster era" began.

Indeed I did. Though thankfully, Park Slope and Windsor Terrace are not exactly Williamsburg or Bushwick.

Park Slope used to be the lesbian capital of the United States, now it is a bit too big for its britches, but not really hipster. Hipsters stick to North Brooklyn mainly.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am hoping you got to enjoy Brooklyn before the "hipster era" began.

Also, you grew up near my grandma's apartment. She lived on 62nd between 1st and 2nd. My favourite part of the city. I love the East Side. I spent quite a lot of time in that area. I love it.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Indeed I did. Though thankfully, Park Slope and Windsor Terrace are not exactly Williamsburg or Bushwick.

Park Slope used to be the lesbian capital of the United States, now it is a bit too big for its britches, but not really hipster. Hipsters stick to North Brooklyn mainly.

I remember when all the Wall Street-ers left the Upper East Side for Brooklyn Heights because they assumed they could get to work faster allowing them more time to make more money and use it to renovate (and often ruin) the classic brownstones.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when all the Wall Street-ers left the Upper East Side for Brooklyn Heights because they assumed they could get to work faster allowing them more time to make more money and use it to renovate (and often ruin) the classic brownstones.

Yes. They really did a number on Brooklyn Heights, though it is still quite a beautiful neighbourhood. Everything inside those buildings can be hit or miss because of that.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also, you grew up near my grandma's apartment. She lived on 62nd between 1st and 2nd. My favourite part of the city. I love the East Side. I spent quite a lot of time in that area. I love it.

Not the apartment I grew up in but my family had an apartment for a few years around the corner on 63rd between 1st and York. Do you know that TGIF on the corner of 1st is where they filmed Cocktail?

I liked the UES before it became fodder for the tabloids and shows like Gossip Girl.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the apartment I grew up in but my family had an apartment for a few years around the corner on 63rd between 1st and York. Do you know that TGIF on the corner of 1st is where they filmed Cocktail?

Yes I do. I've been there a few times over the years.

And yes, the UES was cooler way back when, but it still feels like home to me because of my fond memories of my grandma. Plus, I just love the way it smells and feels.

Early memories hit the hardest, I suppose!

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Splendor in the grass
Brown shell Higgins Mill

20201005_162417.jpg

20180118_110313.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics