• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would all depend on how well that last sold. I wonder were all the lasts that don’t work out go? Is there an island of last misfits? That would make a great Christmas movie.

Hermey doesn’t like to make shoes!

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Suede and Cordovan Trunk Shows seem to be the norm and are getting a little ho-hum, what should AE offer in the next Trunk Show that would be different, get you excited, and make you order something?
(maybe tag @ae_ashley with your choice)
What makes them seem ho-hum to you? This is surprising to hear.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is one thing you can do to make Trunk Shows a ton better. Get all the wives plastered (I mean feeling a little tipsy) oh alright, plastered. And convince them that 5 pairs is the minimum for a loving husband.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score

This is NOT a complaint- just a "polite suggestion." I'm glad this fall's trunk show happened. I understand y'all had to work pretty hard to even make it happen. I definitely enjoyed the additional sole options and appreciate that you fought to get us welting choices.

However: style choices. Four pairs were on the 65 last (which just doesn't work for some) and the Landon was so new that sizing would've been a guess for most people.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gentlemen, anyone know a resource for a comprehensive listing of Allen Edmonds' discontinued styles?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember the days when you could get one shoe made on the last you wanted. It was great for me because someone with my shoe size would order a special makeup and end up returning. Just because kind of thing. Over the years I picked up a lot of these at second’s price but they were first quality. Too many guys like this killed the whole program. I was able to sell a lot of them after wearing for a profit. I understand why a GTMO would be a better option. Hopefully you guys can figure out how to do it economically.

Yeah, I totally get this. It is the reason why AE abandoned the old way that Paul used to allow -- it was hurting them financially. But just to be clear though, AE does need to address their problem with following instructions on orders. We've seen a lot of this over the last two years. I'm not sure what the reason is, but a lot of seconds are being produced because of instructions not being followed. This is not meant to sound harsh in any way, but it is an issue.

pbrandes

Reaction score
*Edit: past examples:

- @M2511 suggested a brown shell Macneil with a last change, antique eyelets, wheeling, and a few other specs. He was able to get enough people interested that we did the shoe. This was before I could communicate with you all directly.

- we did a brown shell Higgins before that was ever a thing, or offered in a trunk show. Same thing there.

There was also a terrific GMTO Higgins in reverse kudu acorn suede, of which I was one of the beneficiaries:

IMG_4262.JPG

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I totally get this. It is the reason why AE abandoned the old way that Paul used to allow -- it was hurting them financially. But just to be clear though, AE does need to address their problem with following instructions on orders. We've seen a lot of this over the last two years. I'm not sure what the reason is, but a lot of seconds are being produced because of instructions not being followed. This is not meant to sound harsh in any way, but it is an issue.
It is our brains that allow this. You order a flat welt on a usually reverse welt shoe. There are instructions but people working on a line are so used to the reverse that even after reading the instructions the brain just says, I have seen this thousands of times and the flat welt just is not correct. There are multiple people looking at this but when the first person screws up the others sometimes don’t catch it because the first employee gets it right so many times. My solution is to hire some people who are slightly autistic or have heavy OCD. The autistic folks almost never get it wrong. They never get bored and never have home issues running around their brains. Once an autistic person is trained, they almost never get it wrong. I work in manufacturing that is very high volume with much more customization and once we hired, on purpose, some of these people this kind of issue almost went away.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Sorry, poor choice of words.

I was really focusing on something different since February was suede and October was shell. Most importantly, hoping to hear what would interest others in the future because I am still new at the Trunk Show game having only participated in February's suede trunk show.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woollymok one more time.
View attachment 1480060
Granted I’ve been out of the AE game for some time, but this is a fantastic looking shoe.

Seeing the wool/leather combo again makes me hopeful we will see a return of the shaker heights sometime soon.

Though hopefully not until I’m no longer unemployed.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads