• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-AE, but I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Does the weirdness of my vintage Caravelle watch make it ugly or cool?

View attachment 1468558 View attachment 1468560
Have I got a tie for you...
image.jpg

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Park City boot with the white sole reminded me of the tan Eagle County with the white Vibram Cristy sole.

View attachment 1468405 View attachment 1468406
Personally, I prefer the looks of that Cristy sole. The new sole looks like it would be very flexible though.

Speaking of flexibility.... The location of those channels in the new sole are in an odd location. I feel like they should be moved to the forefoot area, where our feet flex. I feel like they should be removed from under the arch, which really should be more rigid and supportive in my opinion.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk about Eagle County reminds me of all the Eagle River MTO's and GMTO's we did with Allison yesteryear.

Here's a good one:
Brown Grain Eagle River with mini lug tap soles.

View attachment 1468660

View attachment 1468663

View attachment 1468664

View attachment 1468665

What's funny (and sad now) is that Paul G. would not only waive the custom fee, but would also let us take advantage of sale prices

AND would still significantly discount the price!!
I can't remember exact cost of these, but it was surprisingly low! I believe they were under $250.

The good old days.

I got a burg pair of EC’s in that sale for me and the English tan Dublin LB’s for my son.

Good ol’ days indeed. I’ve always thought that really ignited their MTO sales afterward until that got shut down. Just speculation on my part.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just took delivery of some wingtip boots in honor of Wednesday, as if I'm not in sticker shock enough from my first ever shell and TS purchase I turned around and the next day bought another pair of boots from another company, couldnt pass up the price on a pair of new GYW first quality boots.

Thursday Boots
View attachment 1468673
Will be interested to hear your impressions once you've given them some time. Previous reports here indicate that they just aren't at the same level as AE and others.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will be interested to hear your impressions once you've given them some time. Previous reports here indicate that they just aren't at the same level as AE and others.
I don't wanna bash anyone, but they always say you get what you pay for, initial impressions, fit length wise I followed website directions and is good, width wise they are a little snug, but they claim it should be and will break in, time will tell.
I'm still waiting for my household goods to be delivered since our move back from overseas, once that happens I have enough AE and other shoes/boots these won't be worn more than once a week/2weeks unless I love them. I dont wanna flood this thread with other peoples stuff, but if anyone wants opinions on fit/break in/quality once I have some time in them just ask and I will be honest and let you know!

Side note, in my AE Dalton's I took a 13D, which for me length wise that last seems perfect, though they fit a little snug,
These are 12.5 D also fit well, but agian snug in the width, their toe area has extra length in it, for style I guess,
Also I was swayed by the price of first quality GYW, since they are basically a darker copy of my Dalton's, however I got my Dalton's as seconds and they have some serious loose grain, I get a lot if compliments when I wear them, however a shoe person would be able to see the loose grain.
These boots do not have any noticeable loose grain unless it gives way as I'm breaking them in.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looky what showed up today. Wool is much more premium feeling than the Leiden’s wool. Color me impressed.
View attachment 1468740
I've been looking at those, they are unique and nice looking, is the wool treated with anything? It looks like, from your photo that the wool has a leather backing/lining? Anyway kick ass looking boots!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Somehow Woodlore's BOGO deals always precede either TS or RDA sales. I always order a goodly supply of trees and then I always quickly overwhelm that supply with my shoe buying.

I guess what I'm saying is Woodlore clearly has a scheduling problem because it obviously can't be a problem with the number of shoes I'm buying

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow Woodlore's BOGO deals always precede either TS or RDA sales. I always order a goodly supply of trees and then I always quickly overwhelm that supply with my shoe buying.

I guess what I'm saying is Woodlore clearly has a scheduling problem because it can't be a problem with the number of shoes I'm buying

I personally prefer Hound's Bay over Woodlore. Hound's Bay have a wider back. Woodlore is about as good as Moneyworth and Best, which is to say, quite good, but HB is my fave.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads