• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to try out the new and improved super deluxe Chromexcel HM. I've never had Chromexcel leather...

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since you are the strand King, which pair would you say seems like something that would be more easily pairable, I feel like I buy shoes like those or with the tartan plaid and they look great in pictures and I love them, but its hard to match them to wardrobe
The charcoal/mahogany seems more easily pairable as they are lower contrast. That said, they're spectators...spectators have never been quiet!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look great! My only concern is the wool. Will it take on moisture or become nappy?

The AE website says that the wool is treated with a waterproofing spray, so I did a test. I poured a bit of water on the wool and it bounced right off. You might have to reapply every so often, but it definitely does the job.

Very nice! My Landon delivers Wednesday. How's the wool on this go around? It looks like a flannel?

Not sure what type of fabric exactly, but you can tell that it's premium material. I'm not sure the two colors use the same material either. The wool on the walnut/olive feels a little softer, while the wool on the mahogany/grey is a little rougher and has more of a nappy texture to it.

Since you are the strand King, which pair would you say seems like something that would be more easily pairable, I feel like I buy shoes like those or with the tartan plaid and they look great in pictures and I love them, but its hard to match them to wardrobe

Good question, I think it depends on your style. I don't think walnut/olive will go with any formal or semi-formal outfit, but it's perfect if you're looking to do some peacocking. I think @Roycru could pull these off no problem. Slap these on with a seersucker suit and you're golden. I think they would look great with darker denim and lighter blue slacks, too. I've got a pair of sky-blue chinos that are almost as flashy as these shoes, can't wait to try them out together.

Mahogany/grey is a little more subdued, and I can see these being a great choice for office wear if your company isn't super formal. I think these will be perfect with grey suits and darker slacks. I want to try them out with black denim too.

Rithrin

Reaction score
The AE website says that the wool is treated with a waterproofing spray, so I did a test. I poured a bit of water on the wool and it bounced right off. You might have to reapply every so often, but it definitely does the job.

Wool retains warmth while wet, so I'm a little surprised at the choice to waterproof it. Would think that was a feature for winter! Especially since it's a kind of nappy wool compared to typical suiting fabric.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure what type of fabric exactly, but you can tell that it's premium material. I'm not sure the two colors use the same material either. The wool on the walnut/olive feels a little softer, while the wool on the mahogany/grey is a little rougher and has more of a nappy texture to it.

So i have Merinos, which are wool. I waterproofed them with invulner. they still snag and get nappy a bit.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
So where is this spreadsheet people have been talking about? I'd like to get a look for idea purposes.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The charcoal/mahogany seems more easily pairable as they are lower contrast. That said, they're spectators...spectators have never been quiet!

Fair enough!
Good question, I think it depends on your style. I don't think walnut/olive will go with any formal or semi-formal outfit, but it's perfect if you're looking to do some peacocking. I think @Roycru could pull these off no problem. Slap these on with a seersucker suit and you're golden. I think they would look great with darker denim and lighter blue slacks, too. I've got a pair of sky-blue chinos that are almost as flashy as these shoes, can't wait to try them out together.

Mahogany/grey is a little more subdued, and I can see these being a great choice for office wear if your company isn't super formal. I think these will be perfect with grey suits and darker slacks. I want to try them out with black denim too.
Thanks my work is super casual, unless it's a funeral you won't see me in a suit. I have double black denim, so that could work. I've been looking for some sky blue chinos just have found the right color.
Either way guess it's like my other pair from a lesser liked company, you need to have the swag to pull it off!
These are definitely on my radar. Damn you AE every time I think my wallet is ok and I can move on you throw something new at me!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So where is this spreadsheet people have been talking about? I'd like to get a look for idea purposes.
link in BFT9000 signature, post #15,790 (above on this page)

rxcats

Reaction score
What do you guys with Green Shell Cordovan shoes wear them with? I figure jeans, but what other colours go with them?

michaeliany

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads