• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, you can't beat Vans for casual shoes.
I've never owned any Van's but I'll agree, everyone I talk to raves them up for casual shoes. I would rock Van's on the weekend in a casual setting.
On the other hand I personally dont view the new sneaker options as casual shoes, granted they are more casual than most of AE's usual offerings, I see these shoes as something I would wear to work throughout the week. If I were to wear them on the weekend it would be a setting where I wanna look more mature and smart casual, not just slamming beers and eating wings watching the game.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got you, just didn't know the welt so I left it blank.
In my defense I ordered off the site and not through a sales associate, I just moved back to the states and dont have a relationship with any of them, I debated calling one and changing the welt/edge color but I think it will work well with the chestnut Danite, and should play well with the marble Cognac from what the pictures look like

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looked at the spreadsheet, some of you going in hard. 3 of you at 4 pairs. Kudos. I haven't done that in quite some time. I'm having trouble wearing all my shoes. Since C-19 a large % of my shoes have not been worn. At this rate I think like 6 pairs will have a majority of the wears and the rest will finish year at 1-2 max.

I ordered 4 of the marbled dark cognac because I don’t know if and when I’ll get the chance to buy this color again (as a B width my options are very limited in terms of makers).

Debating adding navy strand. It’s been on my list forever and I keep saying “next time”

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered 4 of the marbled dark cognac because I don’t know if and when I’ll get the chance to buy this color again (as a B width my options are very limited in terms of makers).

Debating adding navy strand. It’s been on my list forever and I keep saying “next time”
Navy Strand.

DO IT! ;)

105CDEB2-3C40-42B7-903C-497FFE8FDD1F.jpeg
No debate necessary!

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made a midday change from Cavanaughs into these tan grain Leeds for a walk through a local botanical garden. Been a while since I've had a daily double AE shoe day, or any for that matter beyond a boat shoe, so.. thank goodness for fall! ???

Attachments

• 20200926_152437.jpg
    20200926_152437.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 29

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my defense I ordered off the site and not through a sales associate, I just moved back to the states and dont have a relationship with any of them, I debated calling one and changing the welt/edge color but I think it will work well with the chestnut Danite, and should play well with the marble Cognac from what the pictures look like
Have you never heard of love at first call? I fell in love with my SA the first time I asked her if she would sell me a shoe. She said yes. Not a lot of yeses for me from women. So I took it as a win.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My theory is that many of us on the forum started with AE years ago and we have a picture of a company in our head. It's an American company that makes fine dress shoes in the USA. We enjoyed that part of the story when we received complements on our shoes and we felt sad for the others who were happy in their ignorance with square bicycle toe shoes that were made in China or some other far off place. Then changes occurred and some of the AE offerings were made in the DR or some other location. Some of us noticed QC issues that crept in and these things were not in line with our mental picture of the company. The introduction of sneakers is the latest change not in line with our image of the company and we feel it is a negative reflection on the value we place on the brand.

TL;DR. We see AE as a dress shoe company and we don't like change.
Well said. In other words, we are on some "Old Man ****".
Now, get off my lawn!!!
:paranoia:

rxcats

Reaction score
No, but I’ll share a picture for you...
View attachment 1464829
Looking at this photo, I was certain I was going to order either Strand, Hamilton or Landon in green shell. I went to my local AE near Union Square in SF today. The SA brought out something he had in green shell and it looked much darker (even under light) than this photo. The navy shell seemed more noticeably navy blue so now I am considering that instead. Got to make a decision by Monday.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at this photo, I was certain I was going to order either Strand, Hamilton or Landon in green shell. I went to my local AE near Union Square in SF today. The SA brought out something he had in green shell and it looked much darker (even under light) than this photo. The navy shell seemed more noticeably navy blue so now I am considering that instead. Got to make a decision by Monday.

It didn't look like this green
LandonDark_Green_Cordovan_Angle_web.jpg
???

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe this reservation is people aligning their expectations and "fearing the worst" as the feedback from the last shell TS was pretty critical in regards to the discrepancy of the shaved shell, especially if their model had different panels stitched together.

To me, this is what makes the marbled cognac so intriguing as it'll truly be a 1 of 1, just like I've seen with Nike's multi-colored flyknit uppers. Even from left/right shoes, there is a difference and that adds to the "fun". My only concern is if I want to get a Hamilton AND a Strand in Dark Marbled Cognac and which welt color to choose.

By default, what is the JR sole for a Strand? Single or Double? And for the Brown Shell, is the Edge/welt brown? Even though I own this shoe, my color blindness really impacts my ability to discern colors, just notice if they don't match. And for those who have been hyping Chili Hamiltons, I hate you! Added that to the list, as well (thinking of going natural/buff split-reverse welt on double JR, but again, what edge
I was lucky enough to score a pair of shaved cherry Dundees after the TS as seconds. They were returned for that reason: the right and left shoes were slightly different. I love that added charm. Among my most complimented pair.

rxcats

Reaction score
It didn't look like this green View attachment 1466195 ???
No. It really didn’t. Perhaps in the sunlight it would (what SA said), but it looked almost black under direct store lighting. I have an idea that some of the green shell photos in this tread were a “greener” version offered in the past. I’m definitely buying something Monday (my SA is off Sunday), but I’m now struggling with which colour to get. If I had ordered online I would have ordered green shell (based on photos only).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads