• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @woofmang.. very kind of you to share. I have a Fifth Avenue in dark chili which I think looks fabulous except for the wide spaced lacing, which however, may improve with more wears. In fact, I think it even has already after only about three and even they were very brief!
As for sizing up or down, a very good thought, only as for going wider, I am already a 3E. I get less than stellar closure in any lace-up model really, at least that I've tried, including bluchers. Funny though, my Cavanaughs, now totaling two, fit great @ TSS and look good too (imho!) as I thought loafers were a high instepper's bane. True for me at least, 'til now.
I did ask here once if any 3E's actually get the really nice picture perfect closure we all see displayed but near as I could tell, no one stepped (sorry ?) forward.
So, barring it's because all 3E's habiting here also have high insteps, I am prone to think it could be in the design of the shoe...Or not. ☺
I remember now you asking about that, and that I didn't respond because I'm not a "true" EEE; only in the 65. And of course, if I'd remembered your earlier question before I posted, I would have checked to see if AE even makes any EEEEEs (I now know they don't :() before offering that feedback...

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is a boot TS for me. One black Aligator belt got me a second pair on this TS. My wife does not have spending limits as much as a shoe limit. No drama at one pair each TS. I did get the Landon and the Hamilton. Landon with marbled and Hamilton in Chili. The rest of the details were agreed upon but I can’t remember what exactly they were. So technically AE cannot make a mistake as long as the above is correct. Hell even if the colors get mixed up, I probably won’t notice.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember now you asking about that, and that I didn't respond because I'm not a "true" EEE; only in the 65. And of course, if I'd remembered your earlier question before I posted, I would have checked to see if AE even makes any EEEEEs (I now know they don't :() before offering that feedback...
Ah, no problem! On another note, there is a lace-up shoe you favor, in burgundy, that I particularly like to see...but forget which model now! Will try to figure it out.

Rithrin

Reaction score
This raises a question that I have wondered about.

Should people put shoe trees in unworn shoes they are storing indefinitely?

seems to me it would be better to store unworn shoes without trees

Late to this discussion, but definitely with trees! Just sitting around unworn is exactly when it will develop creases and other issues.

I definitely feel you. I like being immersed in the chaos of the usual show, but this is the first trunk show during a pandemic with no mixer and everything in basically unlimited quantities. We knew it would be a bit different, and I have to say that today was still a really fun day at work. I love trunk show day and we just get so excited to keep adding to the tally as the day goes by.

So truly...thank you. To everyone who participated, plans to participate, and to everyone who has to sit it out but is rooting it on from afar. Your purchases are obviously quantifiable, but your support is invaluable.

Don't the TS's normally start on a Friday? I would expect Thursday to be fairly slow no matter what.

And speaking of the TS, went directly to the SF store and put my order in today with Jay and Mario - great folks at that store! Picked up three pairs: The navy Landon, green Hamilton, and then after nearly half an hour of hemming and hawing, ordered a marbled Park Ave with Antique/Whiskey edge. No regrets, but you may see me eating ramen noodles for a few weeks.

While updating the spreadsheet with those buys, it was nice being "Biggest Weasel" for a while, but Lionel and Dpga seem to have rightfully stolen the show! Noticed that over half the orders on that sheet went for Antique/Whiskey edge. We must really love our contrast here. Is it just because everyone's focusing on casual options?

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late to this discussion, but definitely with trees! Just sitting around unworn is exactly when it will develop creases and other issues.

Don't the TS's normally start on a Friday? I would expect Thursday to be fairly slow no matter what.

And speaking of the TS, went directly to the SF store and put my order in today with Jay and Mario - great folks at that store! Picked up three pairs: The navy Landon, green Hamilton, and then after nearly half an hour of hemming and hawing, ordered a marbled Park Ave with Antique/Whiskey edge. No regrets, but you may see me eating ramen noodles for a few weeks.

While updating the spreadsheet with those buys, it was nice being "Biggest Weasel" for a while, but Lionel and Dpga seem to have rightfully stolen the show! Noticed that over half the orders on that sheet went for Antique/Whiskey edge. We must really love our contrast here. Is it just because everyone's focusing on casual options?
I think we've done both?? I'd need to check. We've definitely done Thursday before though.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Thank you, @woofmang.. very kind of you to share. I have a Fifth Avenue in dark chili which I think looks fabulous except for the wide spaced lacing, which however, may improve with more wears. In fact, I think it even has already after only about three and even they were very brief!
As for sizing up or down, a very good thought, only as for going wider, I am already a 3E. I get less than stellar closure in any lace-up model really, at least that I've tried, including bluchers. Funny though, my Cavanaughs, now totaling two, fit great @ TSS and look good too (imho!) as I thought loafers were a high instepper's bane. True for me at least, 'til now.
I did ask here once if any 3E's actually get the really nice picture perfect closure we all see displayed but near as I could tell, no one stepped (sorry ?) forward.
So, barring it's because all 3E's habiting here also have high insteps, I am prone to think it could be in the design of the shoe...Or not. ☺
You and I are in the same boat - 10.5EEE with a high instep. The 65 is not great with closed lacing, and ok with open lacing, while the 201 with its higher cone works in closed lacing if I size down to 10EEE.
I have four pairs of MacNeils, two pairs of Graysons (97 last) and five pairs of Leeds, a Dalton, a Long Branch and a Sullivan Street (all 511), because those lasts work really well for me.
I will say the Alden Hampton last works surprisingly well in closed lacing. Highly recommended.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone wear the Arlington loafer? Maybe its dated with kiltie, tassel, AND long wing but I like it. I keep an eye out for it and may have found one, in black. Just wanted to know how you like it if you wear or wore it? Thanks.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You and I are in the same boat - 10.5EEE with a high instep. The 65 is not great with closed lacing, and ok with open lacing, while the 201 with its higher cone works in closed lacing if I size down to 10EEE.
I have four pairs of MacNeils, two pairs of Graysons (97 last) and five pairs of Leeds, a Dalton, a Long Branch and a Sullivan Street (all 511), because those lasts work really well for me.
I will say the Alden Hampton last works surprisingly well in closed lacing. Highly recommended.
2nded.
Alden Hampton has considerably more volume and 3/16in more in width than the 65 last in the same size.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seldom-seen Randolphs,
One among many unworn.
Effing corona.
CCF26F1A-0C7F-4326-8BCB-11D25E8D6A01.jpeg

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
Oxblood, imho, is awesome..and though not exclusive to just oxblood, indoors, sunshine and shade each produce a distinct color. Like three shoes in one! Sort of. ☺

Love my oxblood strands - wear them more than my chili shell ones ?

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, no problem! On another note, there is a lace-up shoe you favor, in burgundy, that I particularly like to see...but forget which model now! Will try to figure it out.
Ok, @woofmang, I have it now, your vintage black cherry bristols. Appropriate too, your sporting them in a driveway, imho, as they remind me of long-hooded vintage english sports cars....like this..

Attachments

• remote.jpg.jpeg
    remote.jpg.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 27

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's disgusting. Not the buying 30 pairs, but that 30 pairs *only* cost $12k...

Speaking of shoe market value, last year when I posted the Strand Wheel picture I think I said the equivalent price of my collection was a brand new Jeep Renegade.

Now that I have 20 more Strands than I did when I posted that picture, I think we're looking at a Chrysler 300.

Maybe in a year I can move on up to Mercedes C-Class?

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a F2 pair of Weatherproof Pattons. I'm partially envious that my unique size makes desirable seconds scarce (I saw those chili boots the other day @AEfaninTampa), and partially grateful because I have plenty to wear anyways and don't need the temptation. Organized the closet a bit over the holidays and found that I had over 50 pair of shoes! My unique size also means I'm tremendously loyal (and grateful!) to AE and over 40 of those were AE.

Absolutely love these new boots, @ae_ashley checked them out for me and other than a scuff on the right boot they are fine. I've decided my favorite lasts are, in order, 1757, 511, and 97 plus cousins (esp. 678). I love cap toes (I have Eagle Counties on the 222 and FAs on the 201), but these fit me better and I'm glad to have such a comfortable cap toe.

View attachment 1313236

For fans of food pictures....this is a Christmas gift from my brother. It's a 14 pound cured ham from Spain, similar to proscuitto (better IMHO). You literally leave it on your counter and just carve it down as you use it, it'll last a couple months. Told him I wanted to try keto, he said with this sitting in plain sight you wont want anything else.

View attachment 1313238

If anyone happens to be driving through Utah in the next two months, tapas at my place. :)
Whoa, what a special gift. Have had it in Spain but never here. Enjoy. ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads