• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well Men...

I almost wore my brand new pair of Burnished Copper Strand weaves today. Since I received them 2 weeks ago, this is now the third morning that I've reached for them, only to be intoxicated by the eau-de-musc of freshly-hewn leather; the satisfying quality of the pristine soles; and the understated, timeless beauty that is the masterpiece of cordwainery known as the woven Strand. It seems so counter-intuitive to put these works of art on my feet so I can shuffle across the parking lot and into my place of work.

It is also the third morning where I have gently placed them back into the box and reached for a different shoe.

Does anyone else have similar neuroses when it comes to wearing a newly-hatched AE...?

View attachment 1463844 View attachment 1463845
Shoes are meant to be worn and leather looks better with wear.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This pair doesn't get as much wear from me as it should. In fact, this is the first wear of 2020. Granted, I didn't wear any AE shoes for about 5 months, so take that number with a grain of salt.

Because these are unlined, I usually only wear them in warmer weather (hence the zero wears in 2020 since the quarantine took away most opportunities to wear them around town). When I first got them, I wasn't sure how much I'd like them. They're so unstructured and a big guy like me needs *some* support from his footwear. But, as they keep breaking in more and more, they just become more and more comfortable. I guess I "get it" now when guys have talked about these being like slippers. I'm not sure I'd want to wear them out and about for real long stretches at a time. But, for just doing some WFH and taking the dog out a couple of times, these'll do just fine. If the company formerly known as MassDrop ever decides to do another run of these, I might be up for another pair.

Anyway, a year ago, I didn't own any suede AEs and I now own three. I'm not saying I'd go out of my way to buy more suede pairs, but I'm certainly more open to it than I have been in the past. Hey, sometimes it's good to step out of your comfort zone. It helps when what you're stepping in to is pretty comfortable already.

IMG_4175.jpg

ptfly

Reaction score
This pair doesn't get as much wear from me as it should. In fact, this is the first wear of 2020. Granted, I didn't wear any AE shoes for about 5 months, so take that number with a grain of salt.

Because these are unlined, I usually only wear them in warmer weather (hence the zero wears in 2020 since the quarantine took away most opportunities to wear them around town). When I first got them, I wasn't sure how much I'd like them. They're so unstructured and a big guy like me needs *some* support from his footwear. But, as they keep breaking in more and more, they just become more and more comfortable. I guess I "get it" now when guys have talked about these being like slippers. I'm not sure I'd want to wear them out and about for real long stretches at a time. But, for just doing some WFH and taking the dog out a couple of times, these'll do just fine. If the company formerly known as MassDrop ever decides to do another run of these, I might be up for another pair.

Anyway, a year ago, I didn't own any suede AEs and I now own three. I'm not saying I'd go out of my way to buy more suede pairs, but I'm certainly more open to it than I have been in the past. Hey, sometimes it's good to step out of your comfort zone. It helps when what you're stepping in to is pretty comfortable already.

View attachment 1463897
I have two of these. Call them my squishy shoes. They are the only ones I put a 3/4 insert in. Sort of makes it feel more stable.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
" only to be intoxicated by the eau-de-musc of freshly-hewn leather; the satisfying quality of the pristine soles; and the understated, timeless beauty that is the masterpiece of cordwainery known as the woven Strand."

I think you may need to smoke a cigarette after that.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1463897
Those are not a friend of the flat footed.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started the day in vintage shell, but moved to bourbon for the afternoon. It helps move through the rotation that way.

IMG_9419.jpg

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three messages:

1. Live chat today at 4pm Central on the Allen Edmonds FB page. Tune in!
2. Trunk show kicks off tomorrow. Support your favorite store!
3. Delray now offered in Walnut!
View attachment 1463954

Offer it in walnut shell (or any shell for that matter) and you can have my money.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Three messages:

1. Live chat today at 4pm Central on the Allen Edmonds FB page. Tune in!
2. Trunk show kicks off tomorrow. Support your favorite store!
3. Delray now offered in Walnut!
View attachment 1463954
Is there any chance in the future for an apron shoe model rather than just the split toe Delray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads