• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shell cordovan Daltons out and about the other night.

IMG_20200919_2301183.jpg

pbrandes

Reaction score
Today I had an opportunity to try on some Landons courtesy of my Los Angeles SA, Alex. Sorry I don’t have photos to offer but thought I’d share some impressions.

For those of you that haven’t yet memorized my shoe size, I am typically a 9.5 E in most AE lasts, though EE usually works better for me on lined 65 like Strand, McCallister. I have shorter toes so toebox is rarely an issue (except on the1943 Cornwallis last). My naturally high instep is increased by ¾ length thin orthotics.

Since there are no E widths for the Landon, I tried them in 9.5 D and 10 D.

The 9.5 D fit snugly but without any toe pinching or vamp chaffing. However, the outer edge of my feet sit right at the footbed edge limit, not painful but noticeable and slightly annoying. The lacing gap was a tad wider than I prefer, and had a little bit of bunching.

In comparison, the 10 D was better situated on the footbed, no felt footbed edge. The heel-to-ball of my feet line up a little short of the widest part of the shoe, which actually was a plus for my toebox width. The only tradeoff was a little heel slip, but the stabilizing boot shaft around my ankles mitigated that for the most part (my 9.5 E Sullivans on the 511 last have a lot more heel slip, but I still love them).

So, for the shape of my foot 10 D was overall the better fit. YMMV, caveat emptor, etc. Alas, 9.5E would likely have been perfect.

The Landon is a very good-looking boot—rugged but stylish. Not girly. The ones I tried on were in Mahogany, warmer toned and a little lighter than standard brown though not pushing towards red as with chili, and still darker than AE’s coffee—just a warmer brown. Mahogany suits the Landons very well, and would be a good choice on any other available style if warmer brown is desired without tipping into the red zone.

The Landons have slight footbed padding, similar to Higgies, which definitely helps with the Dainite stud factor. But unlike puffier Poron that makes my feet feel like Han Solo at the end of “The Empire Strikes Back” the moment I take my standing weight off it.

I think the overall rugged look of the Landon lends itself well to marbled cognac so I’m leaning that way, with commando soles. However, these would be my first AE commandos (closest I’ve got are the softer translucent ones). I know AE commandos are more conspicuous than the Alden ones but again I think that works with the rugged look. I’d appreciate comments from anyone who’s had them comment on how they feel and hold up with wear?

I like the marbled cognac paired with whatever dark welt/edge combo is in AE_Ashley’s posted photos, though their identity seems to be a well-guarded secret. Still, I have hopes of finding out before I make an ordering decision…

I hope some of this is helpful.

Last edited:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**Strands are sold**

McNeils are still available. Guys, these McNeils are exceptional. The McNeil is discontinued, natty shell is rarer than hen's teeth and mine have literally never seen sunlight. Even better...I am not marking these up! Only reason for selling is to raise some cash for a new obsession.

I have a quota to keep, but dare I ask for a picture of the Macs?

cincytri

Reaction score
Scroll up to the post from yesterday or take a look at the BST thread. If you send me your number by PM, I can text more shots. You are local to the DMV, correct? I can deliver. You know you want these...

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doctors office

Clothes were selected for light weight, Patriots because they could be easily taken off for the scale

Actual dialog:
Q: How tall are you
A: 6'4" or 6'5"
Q: Well which do you want?
[I step off scale, she announces I weigh 220 lbs]
A: Put me down for 6'8"

Attachments

• 240E3334-CB51-4211-A221-089794C49879.jpeg
    240E3334-CB51-4211-A221-089794C49879.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't have a dog in this matter, but as the owner of a pair of natty shell MacNeils, it is my opinion that you would be crazy to pass these up if you can make it happen. Pics of mine from the same TS batch.

IMG_1727 2.jpg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[SNIP]
I know AE commandos are more conspicuous than the Alden ones but again I think that works with the rugged look. I’d appreciate comments from anyone who’s had them comment on how they feel and hold up with wear?
[/SNIP]
I've got the Itshide Commando soles on a couple pair, and I find them to be slightly more comfortable/yielding than Dainite, they have good traction in any context I've worn them in, and they seem to be wearing quite well, unlike the apparently softer translucent commando soles that I've read about (disclaimer: I don't have anything on the translucent commando sole, so that last part is just hearsay).

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Well Men...

I almost wore my brand new pair of Burnished Copper Strand weaves today. Since I received them 2 weeks ago, this is now the third morning that I've reached for them, only to be intoxicated by the eau-de-musc of freshly-hewn leather; the satisfying quality of the pristine soles; and the understated, timeless beauty that is the masterpiece of cordwainery known as the woven Strand. It seems so counter-intuitive to put these works of art on my feet so I can shuffle across the parking lot and into my place of work.

It is also the third morning where I have gently placed them back into the box and reached for a different shoe.

Does anyone else have similar neuroses when it comes to wearing a newly-hatched AE...?

IMG_8639.jpeg IMG_8638.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checking all three "W" boxes today with whiskey wingtip Wednesday.

PXL_20200923_145120994.jpg
PXL_20200923_144724018.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads