• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can I offer my perspective here?

- I keep a log of everything I expect to sell personally for the trunk show, and I have a fair amount of sneakers on that list. A notable amount.

- sneakers have continued to be one the fastest growing pieces of our business. I'm looking into what the exact percentage of our business last month was comprised of sneakers, but I know the last few months prior was around 20%.

- I truly don't understand why casual styles and our heritage line cannot coexist. We have been more enthusiast focused than we have been in YEARS. Well before Caleres. My being here to listen and report your desires is an example of that. My entire job as grassroots engagement manager is to listen to what you want and see where we can deliver on that. I can tell you there are SEVERAL styles coming down the pipeline this fall that are directly due to you all asking for it. And you will love them. If we were only focused on sneakers we probably wouldn't be doing trunk shows at all. We wouldn't be planning webgems. We wouldn't be finding time to squeeze in a GMTO asap. I can also assure you that we are more focused on customization than we've probably ever been.

My point with all due respect is that not everything is for everyone, and you may not like the new sneakers, but many people do (including myself, honestly). And we haven't stopped catering to those who just aren't looking for them.
Please bring back the MacNeil and also bring back the dark brown color.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daltons are girlish? :puzzled:
So outside of the fact I just moved back from Italy and I did see women wearing full brogues there, you tell me how many women's shoes or boots you see in full brogue, if you cant handle a comment on an internet forum then maybe you don't have enough swag to wear a pair of Dalton's

Jimmy R

Reaction score
So outside of the fact I just moved back from Italy and I did see women wearing full brogues there, you tell me how many women's shoes or boots you see in full brogue, if you cant handle a comment on an internet forum then maybe you don't have enough swag to wear a pair of Dalton's

Uhm, what? All I asked was a benign rhetorical question. The thought of my Daltons being effeminate never crossed my mind until I started reading here, and quite frankly, I still don’t understand why anyone would think they are. Check the first post on page 1024. I wore my oxblood Daltons today. No need to come at me so hard, il mio amico.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhm, what? All I asked was a benign rhetorical question. The thought of my Daltons being effeminate never crossed my mind until I started reading here, and quite frankly, I still don’t understand why anyone would think they are. Check the first post on page 1024. I wore my oxblood Daltons today. No need to come at me so hard, il mio amico.

Yeah, I don't see how the daltons are effete at all, either. I think they look quite masculine, especially my nice shell cordovan ones.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
sb4x0n-l-610x610-shoes-vintage-old+school-brown-laces-girl+shoes-old-tumblr-boots+laces-old+fa...jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure how successful the brogues for ladies offerings are, but they appear to be plentiful. From a google search a moment ago...

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.39.12 PM.png

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure how successful the brogues for ladies offerings are, but they appear to be plentiful. From a google search a moment ago...

View attachment 1463542
I know my wife would rather buy a man’s shoe. Especially if she planned to wear often.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now that we know a few truths with regard to sneakers.
  1. Sneakers make up enough of AE’s sales to stay in the lineup.
  2. The trend towards more casual styles makes the sneaker a must.
Would you rather AE just bring in generic sneakers or AE make sneakers in their factory where they can control style and sizing?

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Would you rather AE just bring in generic sneakers or AE make sneakers in their factory where they can control style and sizing?
The original argument was against sneakers imitating the classic line of shoes. I don't think it should be done. AE having sneakers overall isn't something I personally care about and if they make money off of it then great.

ptfly

Reaction score
AE is a big part of my collection due to having b/c widths. If AE made B/C and D/E, etc I would buy some basic styles. The strand/PA upper look isn't my cup of tea but people are already buying them. I see them everyday with suits in my office.
I tend to wear sneaker on the weekends, casual Fridays or long trips with cotton twills or denim. Almost always with a dark color or gum sole instead of white. CXL or suede is what I look for. Current AE styles are too full/wide for me.

Last edited:

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lunch outside at Wildfire today. Maritimes.
IMG_20200922_181913~2.jpg

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cavalier Grey Strandmoks with wine red laces (Aliexpress). Shoes appear a shade lighter in the pics then they are.
Generic 5-pack cotton socks from local store.
Seiko SBDX001 (MM300) on a grey nato strap.
Q: What product to use to increase the 'greyness' of the shoes ?
20200923_100322.jpg
20200923_100410.jpg
20200923_100434.jpg
20200923_100746.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads