• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This forum is full of extremely old men (senior citizens), so I wanted to remind all of you that October/breast cancer awareness is upon us. Get out your PINK slacks, shirts, socks, shoes, g-string underwear, and ties.

I support breast cancer causes--I have family who had the disease--but wearing pink is just virtue signalling nonsense. We don't need to "raise awareness". We need to give money.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlike the norm, and I'm sure by design, the tab lengths are quite unequal in length. Was that done to achieve the best fit or some other objective? Yes, another exciting Saturday night here, hence the burning question. ☺
I’m working on different lengths for the long and short sides. This pair happens to be the shortest short side (70mm) and the longest long side (145mm).
BF521899-CAFC-4358-B161-5D2BAEFA76EA.jpeg
You guys don’t miss a thing! :)

Last edited:

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I support breast cancer causes--I have family who had the disease--but wearing pink is just virtue signalling nonsense. We don't need to "raise awareness". We need to give money.

I am open to all points of view and try to respect all opinions. Kelly Preston and her husband had a secure and sufficient financial situation, but "money" could not save her life.
For 26 years, I have served cancer patients and I have also watched many die. We have the most advanced technological equipment and the most experienced oncology team.
For a favorable prognosis, early detection is essential.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My sister passed away from a long battle with breast cancer. My wife spent her entire career in a hospital assisting women with mammograms and navigating the system if the diagnosis was breast cancer. I give money and wear pink. Wearing pink is not "nonsense". Give money for research, wear pink if you want, but be cognizant of the issue.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am open to all points of view and try to respect all opinions. Kelly Preston and her husband had a secure and sufficient financial situation, but "money" could not save her life.
For 26 years, I have served cancer patients and I have also watched many die. We have the most advanced technological equipment and the most experienced oncology team.
For a favorable prognosis, early detection is essential.

Oh, I entirely agree: but do you not think people are already aware of this? This is common knowledge.

No one is going to see something pink and go, "Oh, I didn't know breast cancer should be detected early."

We need more money to make a cure/better treatment possible.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need help reading the Branick device. I’m getting my brother some vintage Florsheims for his 50th birthday. I asked him to go get measured, and the sales person at Nordstrom told him that he wears a 9D. I don’t think that’s possible. He tried on several pairs of my 9Ds and he’s swimming in them. I think he wears 8E. Thoughts?
8C1F4670-F1BB-4286-A20D-5D49DAFD059F.jpeg
F980AAE4-AAAD-46F9-A7F0-91A5C357D189.jpeg

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I understand your point that money is more important than an empty gesture, but the empty gesture is a great excuse to add a pop of color and is fun independent of the cause

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a sad tale to tell. @friendlygoz rolled the dice on some vintage shell Chukkas and they almost instantly cracked on the vamp. He kindly offered them to me and asked if I would make him a watch band. I did and that is another story. But what to do with the rest of the shoe?

View attachment 1461607

I thought a wallet would be possible, even though I did not have any templates to follow. The first issue was the discovery that the back of the shoe will lay flat, but not straight. The obviously needed the bottom of the heel wider than the Achilles tendon. (I knew those anatomy courses would pay off some day.)

View attachment 1461608

So the answer was to remove a wedge of material off the heel to allow the two sides to approximate and flatten the top. First, I cut the threads off the sides of the heel cover. This allowed me to get to the material underneath.

View attachment 1461609

View attachment 1461610

I then removed some of the material in the middle, where the good shell with the original color is. This allowed me to flatten the top of the piece in a straight line needed for the wallet. I then narrowed the heel wedge, which removed the needle holes. I then saddle stitched it back into place.

View attachment 1461613

View attachment 1461614

I then removed a wedge of the interior liner to remove the excess material and I sewed it back together.

View attachment 1461615

I then used raw leather from the craft store to make the inner pockets and inner wall of the wallet. These were cut, dyed burgundy and then saddle stitched together.

View attachment 1461616

The inner compartment for the bills is dyed leather on one side and the original calf leather on the other.

View attachment 1461619

Inner and outer shots

View attachment 1461620
View attachment 1461621

Now that it's finished, I see many areas where I can improve the process. There is always a learning curve with these things. I will send this one to a son who needs a wallet. It is sad to see a pair of shell shoes come to an end, but at least there is still some use with the leather.
This is just super awesome. Thanks for sharing the final product. I’m glad to see my heartbreak turn into to something useful and I can’t wait to get the strap!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need help reading the Branick device. I’m getting my brother some vintage Florsheims for his 50th birthday. I asked him to go get measured, and the sales person at Nordstrom told him that he wears a 9D. I don’t think that’s possible. He tried on several pairs of my 9Ds and he’s swimming in them. I think he wears 8E. Thoughts? View attachment 1461812 View attachment 1461813
This is where that device gets tricky. Both feet have a ball length of 9.5. But foot length is 8 and 9. Width at 9.5 is a D on the left but a heavy C on the right. Personally I would not go shorter than a 8.5. I think the right foot would get hammered in a 8. If I was fitting those measurements I would be 9C maybe or 8.5D. I have very similar measurements and wear 9.5B or 9.5C. But I am .5 longer in length and one width smaller at the ball. Can you find a 9C in a 65 last and have him try it on? The vintage Florsheim 93602 fits a little narrower than the 65 last with about the same length. The cone is a little lower also. At the end of the day he has to be comfortable and I have no idea if he is used to a looser or tighter fit. But I would at least start at 8.5 and see how that fits.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score

Oh, I entirely agree: but do you not think people are already aware of this? This is common knowledge.

No one is going to see something pink and go, "Oh, I didn't know breast cancer should be detected early."

We need more money to make a cure/better treatment possible.
Wait...a guy is asking folks to wear pink to raise awareness of a disease that took his wife’s life, and you’re telling him that what he is asking is just “virtue signaling nonsense“?

This is truly one of the most remarkable exchanges I’ve read on here.You could’ve ignored it, but you made the decision to type up a response where you “well, actually” a widower, then posted it.
Twice.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is where that device gets tricky. Both feet have a ball length of 9.5. But foot length is 8 and 9. Width at 9.5 is a D on the left but a heavy C on the right. Personally I would not go shorter than a 8.5. I think the right foot would get hammered in a 8. If I was fitting those measurements I would be 9C maybe or 8.5D. I have very similar measurements and wear 9.5B or 9.5C. But I am .5 longer in length and one width smaller at the ball. Can you find a 9C in a 65 last and have him try it on? The vintage Florsheim 93602 fits a little narrower than the 65 last with about the same length. The cone is a little lower also. At the end of the day he has to be comfortable and I have no idea if he is used to a looser or tighter fit. But I would at least start at 8.5 and see how that fits.
Is he flat footed? That would change how we respond to the arch measurement, and could explain why he was swimming in them.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait...a guy is asking folks to wear pink to raise awareness of a disease that took his wife’s life, and you’re telling him that what he is asking is just “virtue signaling nonsense“?

This is truly one of the most remarkable exchanges I’ve read on here.You could’ve ignored it, but you made the decision to type up a response where you “well, actually” a widower, then posted it.
Twice.
I bet he wears a 1776 on July 4 also, completely missing the same symbolism to express tradition and culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads