• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As much as I love a good Eames chair, there's no way I would ever build one. 90% of what makes that thing so comfortable are the cushions. From a woodworking perspective, there are only 3 bent, laminated, and veneered sections of plywood. I just don't have the skillset to make it comfortable which means I'll have to pay someone and make the whole thing unaffordable.

The Morris chair, on the other hand, is a project of economics. A new one at retail can run you a good $1800 on average (more or less, depending on finishes and cushion materials and whether or not you want an ottoman), and you can easily double or triple that for a vintage one in good shape. I dropped $400 on the quarter sawn white oak from a local mill, which should be plenty for the 2 chairs and ottomans, provided I don't royally screw up anything (always a possibility!). Don't know if I'm going to tackle the cushions myself, or outsource the upholstery, but if I can come in at 1/3 the cost of new, I'll consider it a major win.

Oh, and to keep it shoe related, I'm not wearing AEs today, even though it's in the 50s. Instead, I'm wearing the MiUSA boots that filled my other A "hole" for footwear. No photos, because I was playing tug-of-war with Phoebe this morning and she scratched up the toes a bit. Nobody needs to see that until I brush out those marks.

I am wearing AE socks, though. Small victories today for AE. Small victories.
And if you don't get the dimensions and angle just right, it's never the same...I had an "off-brand" Eames before the actual. The real thing is worth the difference.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full strap Friday! Took the day off yesterday for my birthday so I'm ready for the weekend!

PXL_20200918_144747215.jpg
PXL_20200918_144431256.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Friday forum pals. It's a whiskey start to the weekend.

IMG_9389.jpg

Rithrin

Reaction score
There's nothing like trunk show season...and we're just SIX days out! Who's participating? I'm curious to hear what you'll be ordering. Anyone care to divulge?

Looking forward to it! Pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the following:

Definitely buying:
Navy Landon; JR Sole, Brown Welt/Light Brown Edge
Green Hamilton; JR Sole, Brown Welt/Polo Brown Edge

Maybe buying:
Dark Marbled Cognac Strand; JR or Vtread, Antique Welt / Whiskey Edge

Trying to fit that third one in the budget to show some extra support for continuing the TSs in this environment. Would love it if you guys could release a breakdown of %s after the TS orders wrap up. Really curious on how popular certain models are and how the marbled cognac fares.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing like trunk show season...and we're just SIX days out! Who's participating? I'm curious to hear what you'll be ordering. Anyone care to divulge?
Who will start the official tracking spreadsheet for SF members to input their selections/designs like we had in previous TS?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am getting the Landon in marbled and a Hamilton in Chili. All other details are in the air. My SA can take care of any details that I don’t have an opinion on.

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right now it is a chili Hamilton on double JR soles with an antique welt/whiskey edge. I want it to have a cool contrast and look kind of like some gunboats.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now it is a chili Hamilton on double JR soles with an antique welt/whiskey edge. I want it to have a cool contrast and look kind of like some gunboats.
Read my mind on this! Going back and forth between whiskey edge or transparent brown edge. But the antique welt is already decided!

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told that you can't mix or match the welt/edge. Is that right?
So the edge and the welt come as sets, paired up. If you to antique welt, you'll need to do whiskey edge friend! I bet it would be awesome.
Makes my decision easier! @ae_ashley are the paired welt/edge images that you shared the only options then?

Jimmy R

Reaction score

I'm most interested in the Hamiltons, followed by the Strands, followed by the McAllisters.

I'm leaning toward doing Marbled Cognac in all three, but would get Oxblood too, if it was available. I'm assuming the Burgundy would be too dark for my liking, since I prefer a redder finish. Saphir Hermes Red over Allen Edmonds Calf Oxblood is perfection, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads